Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I spoke with Tesla service management earlier today and confirmed that the roll out happens based of the VIN serious, bugging service centers does not bump you up the list. As the HW3.0 upgrade becomes available, Tesla service confirmed that the Tesla App will display a notification asking you to come in for the upgrade!

Some got the upgrade by chance sure. But that official response is the notification in the app.

I don't think this is true because there are Model 3's with higher VIN's than mine that got HW3 installed by Service Centers.

I think they mean there's a list of vins to upgrade not that they'll do all vins sequentially. Kind of like what they do with most software updates. They generally randomly select cars to update.

Maybe they'll try to be more sequential but even then some service centers are going to start doing upgrades before others.

It looks like the random upgrades are only occurring in California. This is in line with Tesla's typical modus operandi when rolling out something new. Start close to home first in case any issue arises that would require servicing. It would also limit the installations to a few locations so they can perfect the process before they send the procedures to all the Service Centers. At that point the VIN rollout will take place. This seems like a fair way to handle it given the limited supply that will be available at least at first.

I was just in for service on 11/13 at Tesla Rocklin, CA and they said they have no idea when the HW3 upgrades will happen on Model 3s.

I also don't have a lot of confidence in Tesla Rocklin because they either curbed one of the rims or damaged it during the alignment process. Did a quick walk around when the car was done and didn't notice it as the damage was pointed down to the pavement. Noticed it when I got home, but no way to prove they caused it now....

While making an appointment yesterday for tire rotation I asked about HW3. This is the text response I received. “Good Morning, HW3 is being sent to service centers by VIN's. Once your vin specific hardware arrives we will let you know. We have prepared your upcoming service appointment for your tire rotation. Thank you.”

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I was promised the upgrade over the summer - just one of the MANY lies told to me upon delivery of my Model 3. I'm still waiting for the chip upgrade - once again told it will 'come soon.'
Has anyone been contacted? what was your experience?

Thanks.

There are reports they are testing the Model 3 installs, but it looks like they are possibly starting with the earlier VINs. One person reported his Jan 2018 3 was in "group 1" for the upgrade.

I would expect next year before they really get ramped up.

I don't have the V3 ECU, but my car will detect highway construction. I wish it didn't. It's doing fine in heavy traffic winding through the construction maze at 55 like everyone else and suddenly it drops the cruise set to 25 mph. That's dangerous!

My X is in the shop again and they are installing a V3 ECU. I'd almost rather they didn't. Having that as an issue would keep them from charging me when I take it in for any of the many intermittent problems they can't reproduce and wont' fix.

This time it's going into a different shop and they talk like they will fix the rear door intermittently "seeing" something by the door so it won't open fully. The very first time I took it in they saw the problem and said they would order the part. But when I brought it back they said they couldn't reproduce the problem. That was Richmond and now it is in Rockville. I hope to have it back Monday.