Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
......a top of the line gaming computer and and 10 year old one, both running pac man, can both run pac man just as well as each other......
In theory there's functional benefit in the future (which is kinda the point of HW3 existing) but none of that code is actually available to regular end users yet.

I have to disagree with you here. But first comparing your Tesla to a PacMan game from 1980 is a stretch. I would suggest that the HW of all computers will have a dramatic effect on frame rates when older computers run modern games they will stutter, skip and lower the resolution. Modern games "look" remarkably different on different generations of HW.

A lot of what our cars do (render a 3D world and make and execute 3D decisions based on that render) is more far similar to Call of Duty:Modern Warfare than Pac Man (or G forbid Pong).

So while I haven't run the tests either I have to imagine things like Speed limit and lane detection, Automatic Emergency Braking, Advanced Summon and everything else has to benefit from faster processing power. The phantom braking, hesitant lane changes and other AI learning issues have to improve with faster HW, simple physics.

• Disagree
Reactions: Knightshade
I have to disagree with you here. But first comparing your Tesla to a PacMan game from 1980 is a stretch. I would suggest that the HW of all computers will have a dramatic effect on frame rates when older computers run modern games they will stutter, skip and lower the resolution. Modern games "look" remarkably different on different generations of HW.

But that's not what we're discussing.

We're discussing running old games (the current version of AP/FSD) on new hardware.

Which doesn't help you out at all.

That's the point.

The code is still old.

There's nothing out yet that takes advantage of the greater power in HW3 other than the non-functional visualiations.

All the "driving" code is still running the same on both systems.

in fact Elon mentioned that until they DID issue HW3-only driving code you were actually slightly worse off with HW3, because it was running the 2.5 code in emulation- versus 2.5 running it natively.

So while I haven't run the tests either I have to imagine things like Speed limit and lane detection, Automatic Emergency Braking, Advanced Summon and everything else has to benefit from faster processing power.

Bet ya money they won't (with current code)

The phantom braking, hesitant lane changes and other AI learning issues have to improve with faster HW, simple physics.

The car doesn't do AI learning locally- so again- no.

That's not physics, that's you not understanding what the local HW actually is doing.

Individual cars don't "learn"

At all.

The master stuff back at HQ gets trained, based on fleet-wide data collect- and then fleet-wide updates are pushed out as OTA software updates.

Your cars behavior doesn't change other than between SW updates from Tesla, and it doesn't "learn" anything locally from your own driving.

“There is no need to request a service appointment for the Full Self-Driving Computer at this time. Tesla plans to notify each owner who is eligible for this hardware upgrade when we are ready to complete the installation.”

from Tesla rep via email, I will continue to request service app.

I suspect that your particular situation is complicated by having MCU1, and there haven't been any reports I've seen on HW3 upgrades for MCU1 cars, though since you have HW2.5, one can presume you are going to get upgraded before HW2+MCU1 owners.

Reactions: Gt1948
I suspect that your particular situation is complicated by having MCU1, and there haven't been any reports I've seen on HW3 upgrades for MCU1 cars, though since you have HW2.5, one can presume you are going to get upgraded before HW2+MCU1 owners.

FWIW Greentheonly found that HW3 works 100% plug and play with MCU1 cars that have HW2.5 in em to start.... though I wonder if they're not holding off on doing those because they DO plan to offer an MCU upgrade and are figuring the details of that out and maybe planning to offer a deal to have it done at the same time for $.

It's the HW2.0 cars that don't work at all right now (though per Green there's stuff in the code showing they're working on fixing that and he expects 2.0 cars to be up-gradable eventually)

FWIW Greentheonly found that HW3 works 100% plug and play with MCU1 cars that have HW2.5 in em to start.... though I wonder if they're not holding off on doing those because they DO plan to offer an MCU upgrade and are figuring the details of that out and maybe planning to offer a deal to have it done at the same time for $.

It's the HW2.0 cars that don't work at all right now (though per Green there's stuff in the code showing they're working on fixing that and he expects 2.0 cars to be up-gradable eventually)

If I were making the decision for Tesla, I'd upgrade the MCU when installing HW3, just for long term support reasons.

Otherwise, every OTA for HW3 has to be validated against both MCU1 and MCU2, even with a small population of MCU1 cars, and eventually the cost and complexity of that outweighs the extra cost upgrading the hardware.

If I were making the decision for Tesla, I'd upgrade the MCU when installing HW3, just for long term support reasons.

Otherwise, every OTA for HW3 has to be validated against both MCU1 and MCU2, even with a small population of MCU1 cars, and eventually the cost and complexity of that outweighs the extra cost upgrading the hardware.

I don't know the cost involved on the MCU2 part (or the labor though I doubt it's much)- but if I'm Tesla I probably offer it for a fee when I do HW3 upgrades but make that fee small enough nobody's gonna say no- this way I (at least partly, maybe fully depending on numbers) defray my costs and still get the same result.

And then maybe offer it for a significantly higher fee to non-FSD folks at the same time... this would both make the "with HW3 upgrade" look like a better deal to FSD owners, plus maybe convince a few more MCU1/HW2+ owners to spring for FSD to get the cheaper MCU upgrade rolled in.

I got my HW3 upgrade.

We had a big storm here a few days back - with lots of roads flooded. My under carriage plastic aero cover got damaged (I guess it hit some debris on the road, I couldn't see). Anyway, I setup an appointment to get it replaced. Tesla service texted me to say they will add the HW3 upgrade. The appointment was set for Monday.
- Monday I turned in the car and got back home with the Uber code. They said they will have to keep it overnight.
- Tuesday I checked - they had not yet taken the car in for service, , but said it is next in queue !
- Wednesday I checked again - they had not yet taken the car in for service, but said they will soon.
- Thursday morning got a text that the repair was done, HW3 replaced and car is ready to go. Picked up the car - everything was fine, no problems.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948
I don't know the cost involved on the MCU2 part (or the labor though I doubt it's much)- but if I'm Tesla I probably offer it for a fee when I do HW3 upgrades

Oh, hey guess what Tesla announced?

They'll upgrade MCU1 owners to MCU2....for a fee... when they come in to do the HW3 upgrade! (with others getting the chance for it at some later unannounced date)

Mine was updated to HW3 today (VIN 16xxx), but they totally reset all the car settings and didn't even mention it to me. Even my "Lifetime" trip meter is gone. :( And all the unlocked courses in the kart racing game.

My "Lifetime" trip meter was deleted during a wheel alignment at the Tesla SC. After my HW3 upgrade, I only lost the WiFi and Bluetooth settings...

Just got my HW3 upgrade done, VIN 13,3xx.

I had requested it once previously (in early February) and was told it wasn’t available, but to request it again in ~2 weeks. Forgot about it for three, and I was able to schedule the service appointment two or three days later after what I assume was Tesla reviewing the request and ensuring eligibility and parts availability.

After pickup, the car had to recalibrate the cameras and such, but they added symbology for that which wasn’t present during my delivery calibration.

My Performance Model 3 (August 2018) was just upgraded. I had another small issue, made a service appointment with the app, and also asked if they could also do the HW3 upgrade at the same time. They kept the appointment! Took it in a couple of days ago and the job was completed...All settings were lost, as well as Homelink, Wifi, Bluetooth, etc. They had the car for 6 hours and got it all done the same day....