Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The (entirely logical) concern is that if real features start coming out that require HW3, people are going to be sitting around waiting, potentially for months, before they get the HW upgrade.

Sure, and if you are worried about what-if situations, maybe your trip to the service center to get HW3 ahead of time also caused your car to be struck by a falling asteroid.

Also keep in mind hardware changes are ongoing. Delay of HW3 install means you get the latest when you finally do get it. It also means less wear and tear on your new system, as you are adding miles and use on the current one. Your console computer is swapped out along with HW2.5 since they are on the same board.

• Informative
Reactions: Atari2600
Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

See diagram in link- the MCU and AP computer are 2 boards inside the same physical unit.

I don't think anyone has ever clarified if they swap the whole unit (which would seem a ton faster labor wise) or they take the unit apart and swap the board (which is parts-cheaper, but seems a lot more iffy labor-cost (and ESD problem) wise.

TLA,CAR.COMP,NA,HW3.0,M3 - PROV-Retrofit(1462554-R0-H

That's the part number for my retrofit. Do with that what you will.

FWIW, all of my settings were retained during the retrofit, so one way or another the storage was unaffected or copied.

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified | TeslaTap

See diagram in link- the MCU and AP computer are 2 boards inside the same physical unit.

I don't think anyone has ever clarified if they swap the whole unit (which would seem a ton faster labor wise) or they take the unit apart and swap the board (which is parts-cheaper, but seems a lot more iffy labor-cost (and ESD problem) wise.
Thanks, so they are not on the same board, which is what I thought. But they are part of the same assembly.

I'm confused about whether HW3 is required to visualize cones on-screen. Has that been confirmed anywhere, other than the 1 electrek article? The reason being is that while I should have HW3 based on my build date (4/17/2019), all of my video files are in H.264, not H.265 like has been reported with other HW3 cars and yet, I see cones on-screen every day since the last update.

I have HW 2.5 and there is road construction near my house so there are traffic cones everywhere. Can confirm that my car does NOT visualized the cones on screen.

My understanding from the release notes is that it's not only cones visualization, but also how NoA reacts to these cones (it will move to the other lane in advance instead of the last moment).

this is true. Our HW3 3 does move and change lanes to avoid the cones and it also moves between them much better. Our hw2.5 3 does not do this. However it still somewhat recognized cones and moves ok but it didn’t move away from them. If I had let it continue it would have swiped the cone. It tried to move to keep it centered but it just keeps going vs the HW3 moving and or switching lane

When will hw 3.5 or hw 4.0 coming out? Lol
Maybe with the roadster.

They already mentioned back at autonomy day they were working on the next version but it was likely 2 years out... (so roughly spring 2021)

There's an argument that's been made that one of the reasons they made the specific promises sold with FSD so much narrower back in Feb of this year is to avoid having to give a lot more people free HW upgrades in the future to meet those promises.

(Under this theory those who bought "old" FSD which promised ~L5 driving would still get those upgrades free if needed but everyone who bought after that would not if HW3 could meet the narrower post-feb promises)

• Informative
Reactions: go2realize
With most hardware, they often "rev" the board(s) along the way....waiting for Tesla to select your car for the retrofit just might result in you getting a rev beyond the initial batch once they've fixed some small issues or made some small improvements.

With that said, I'd like to have HW3 in my car once an update lands on my Tesla that gives me something meaningful (not cone rendering). It would be quite painful to have FSD features released and not be able to use them because I'm still sitting on HW2.5...just waiting for Tesla to getting around to calling me!

With most hardware, they often "rev" the board(s) along the way....waiting for Tesla to select your car for the retrofit just might result in you getting a rev beyond the initial batch once they've fixed some small issues or made some small improvements.

With that said, I'd like to have HW3 in my car once an update lands on my Tesla that gives me something meaningful (not cone rendering). It would be quite painful to have FSD features released and not be able to use them because I'm still sitting on HW2.5...just waiting for Tesla to getting around to calling me!
My feelings exactly. I've never been in a rush to get HW3. I'd rather let it stabilize, and get those revs. The traffic cones feature has given me my first twinge of envy, but it's not important enough to bother me. But suppose a release comes out with automatic stopping at signs and lights--then I might get a bit itchy for HW3!

Reactions: Michelx
I might be mistaken, but Elon has been pretty silent about 3.0 hardware making no difference and in the past said 3.0 equip cars where at a disadvantage because the firmware wasn't up to par.

We are only to assume that visually we might be seeing traffic cones, but in reality 3.0 is a much safer car on the road, even with Autopilot disengaged (better resolution on cameras / etc). Tesla's silence about what you get now is testimony that my thoughts might be true.

My point? If I get into a crash that 3.0 equipped cars would have avoided, I'd be pissed.

I might be mistaken, but Elon has been pretty silent about 3.0 hardware making no difference and in the past said 3.0 equip cars where at a disadvantage because the firmware wasn't up to par.

We are only to assume that visually we might be seeing traffic cones, but in reality 3.0 is a much safer car on the road, even with Autopilot disengaged (better resolution on cameras / etc). Tesla's silence about what you get now is testimony that my thoughts might be true.

My point? If I get into a crash that 3.0 equipped cars would have avoided, I'd be pissed.

Not sure where you get he's been silent? He's said a number of times HW3 only matters for FSD- EAP and below cars don't need it.

Also- 3.0 cars have exactly the same cameras as 2.5 cars. There's no change to anything other than the computer between 2.5 and 3.

They're also running the same 2.5 code as 2.5 cars in emulation on HW3 right now (hence Elons comment that HW3 is at a slight DISadvantage at the moment).

According to verygreens analysis of the actual AP data though it's SEEING cones internally in either HW version, just only displaying them in visualizations for HW3 cars which makes no difference to the cars driving.