Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 2019 Model S 75D I have a install for HW3 this Thursday, the first 2 appointments they cancelled saying they didn't see a work order but then just today they said it was available. I paid for FSD last Thursday, so a pretty quick turnaround. However I am little nervous now hearing the calibration issues some of you have had.

They did my 2018 Model 3 a few months back - totally seamless (only a few issues like having to re-do my phone connections) but no calibration or other issues. They did keep it overnight though.

Looks like a good time to change the filter is that correct?

Yup. Had em do mine during the upgrade since I was just a couple months shy of 2 years and figured since they're already in there anyway why not.

They still charged $35 labor for doing it, which I thought was kinda crappy since 99% of the labor for the job is already done during the HW3 swap, but wasn't enough to be worth complaining about.

Reactions: israndy
Had mine done last week and all my settings, etc were saved and was a seamless process. Took them about 3 hours for the 2019 model S. No calibration required they told me. However I noticed some issues on the "navigate on autopilot when in the right most lane like not staying on the freeway when it was supposed to and me having to take control , or lane changes where it is a bit unsure. The stop light are nice, but not turning at a signal light makes it just ok. Is it worth the 3K I spent? Perhaps but only if more updates are coming. Rear camera is better as is the responsiveness of the screen. Seems more like a iPhone 8 to 10 then a 4 to a 6 if that makes sense. It's an incremental benefit with the stoplight and stop sign more of a gimmick. Also having to press the accelerator every time it approaches an intersection make me mostly not use it vs, wanting to.

I asked for it. First they gave me an appointment for 15th Jul then they cancelled saying they do not have the parts for it and have ordered for them. This is for my two year old Model 3. I paid for FSC when I picked up the car but for some reason they had no record of it and kept sending me emails to buy it for $3000. Only when I sent them my copy of the invoice they corrected their system. Now I am waiting for them to do the upgrade. Today I received another email saying they are waiting for the parts.

I was scheduled to get it done today, but apparently turnaround is more than 24 hours. I wouldn't be able to bring their Enterprise loaner back tomorrow during opening hours, so i had to reschedule for July 28th

Would have been nice to find out all of this with a 20-second phone call, but we must use Tesla's app, and no human interaction. So instead of 20 seconds, I wasted and hour and a half round trip

Reactions: Ariscus
I'm a bit confused by all the different scenarios. Got a late 2016 model x. If I buy FSD, I'll get some kind of hardware upgrade, but I'll have to pay for the mcu upgrade? Will FSD work without upgrading the MCU? Is that correct? Do I need the MCU upgrade to get sentry mode and dashcam or just the hardware upgrade that's already included with the fsd purchase?

To answer your question; Yes, FSD will work with MCU1. I bought a 2017 Model X with FSD. The hardware was just upgraded from v2.0 to v2.5 and then v3.0. You don't have to upgrade the MCU, however, if you don't upgrade the MCU from MCU1 to MCU2 you'll be missing on a lot of virtualization and a faster MCU. The speed between MCU1 and MCU2 is night vs day........MCU2 is way faster. Moreover, you'll have access to other apps e.g. Youtube, Netflix, etc. When you upgrade to MCU2, you'll be able to handle future Tesla software updates/features. MCU1 is beginning to slow down for a lot of folks, and I'm sure with time and more software updates Tesla pushes out to their vehicles, the MCU1 will start slowing down significantly. Upgrading to MCU2 is worth the $2,500+tax.

I have a 2017 Model X and FSD and was notified about the upgrade to HW3. They did it in a day and had my car overnight. The car had to calibrate a bit, and maps had to load. I was disappointed to learn that the MCU was not upgraded to MCU2 (even though the Tesla web page had indicated that I would get the upgrade), so even though I paid for FSD and all the features, I don't get the FSD visualizations that you get with the MCU upgrade. I could care less about Netflix and such, but I paid for the full FSD experience, not part of it. I called the dealer to complain, and they said that Tesla is apparently aware of this and are talking about how to handle the MCU2 upgrade for owners who bought FSD. They told me to wait and see what Tesla has in mind to address this. I'll give them a few more weeks, then I'm complaining again and will try and kick this up to corporate. At the least, give FSD owners a discount on the MCU2 upgrade, but the bottom line is I want ALL the features of full FSD.

I have a 2017 Model X and FSD and was notified about the upgrade to HW3. They did it in a day and had my car overnight. The car had to calibrate a bit, and maps had to load. I was disappointed to learn that the MCU was not upgraded to MCU2 (even though the Tesla web page had indicated that I would get the upgrade), so even though I paid for FSD and all the features, I don't get the FSD visualizations that you get with the MCU upgrade. I could care less about Netflix and such, but I paid for the full FSD experience, not part of it. I called the dealer to complain, and they said that Tesla is apparently aware of this and are talking about how to handle the MCU2 upgrade for owners who bought FSD. They told me to wait and see what Tesla has in mind to address this. I'll give them a few more weeks, then I'm complaining again and will try and kick this up to corporate. At the least, give FSD owners a discount on the MCU2 upgrade, but the bottom line is I want ALL the features of full FSD.

I also have a 2017 Model X with FSD. How did they notify you HW3 was available?

They did my 2018 Model 3 a few months back - totally seamless (only a few issues like having to re-do my phone connections) but no calibration or other issues. They did keep it overnight though.
6 weeks ago didn’t my 18 M3 install. EzPz. Very happy with the improved autopilot performance. It is more smooth and attentive. Future previews are fun to see but not happy about limited to speed limit vs 5 over for stoplight beta. Things could be worse. Still our favorite new car purchase ever. If I need some motor noise fun I drive the 1996 Carrera.
Enjoy.

I just had my MCU1 upgraded to MCU2 and HW2.5 to HW 3 done yesterday on my 12/16 Model S. I lost my Bluetooth, Homelink and WiFi setting’s. No big deal on those. The cones seem to be appearing as normal but so far(about 60 miles of driving) no stop light/sign recognition at all. Is this a setting I need to activate? Should I try a dual scroll wheel/brake pedal reset? Kind of bummed after waiting 2+ plus months that it isn’t working(yet).

I’m in the same situation and I completely agree. When we paid for FSD, we reasonably expected to get everything. There were no qualifiers or asterisks on the offer. Tesla should make us 2017 S/X owners whole and give us MCU2 as well.

I’m in the same situation and I completely agree. When we paid for FSD, we reasonably expected to get everything. There were no qualifiers or asterisks on the offer. Tesla should make us 2017 S/X owners whole and give us MCU2 as well.

AFAIK MCU2 adds no functionality to FSD.

Only eye candy.

(if this is not correct, please let me know what functionality it adds)

Reactions: goRt
Anyone else noticing extremely long battery cooling fan run times after the retrofit?

MCU1 and HW2.0 to MCU2 and HW3.0 upgraded 2 days ago. Each day I've returned home and the fan has ran for 2 hours.

Might be because my charging setting reset and I've yet to adjust it back to 12:00am charge..

Also noticing about 24 Wh/mi additional usage.. but could be slightly less highway usage than normal

I had AP2 to 3 and MCU 1 to 2 done on my December 2016 P100D. I actually scheduled the service in conjunction with a warranty repair on a headlight.

After receiving a SW update, I did my normal MCU reset (hold 2 scroll buttons). Both the MCU and the instrument panel display reset (i.e. no longer any need to do the separate reset for the panel). I know that is the standard for later builds, and it transferred over with the new upgrades.

So far am enjoying the changes and the new FSD features. One interesting change on the infotainment side (that I am concerned might be totally mental) is I swear my premium sound system has improved. I double checked to make sure none of the music equalizer or audio settings had been changed. I am hearing much better separation and increased bass response. I also noticed that the sound during cell phone calls is much more “crisp” (for lack of a better description). FYI, I am pretty picky re sound and have invested too much $$ in my home system, so I like to think I have a good ear. I primarily am running FLAC based tunes off of a 1tb SSD running through my USB port. Partitioned for music and dash cam/sentry.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
@Randy Spencer, what was the total install time? It's great that they can now do it at your home.
Took almost exactly an hour. The guy actually arrived early, glad I was ready with the umbrella to shade the work area for him. He was almost done when the scheduled time arrived. He was great to talk to and I totally enjoyed watching and learning.

He said that not all the connectors on the new computer were for my car, that it was a universal computer for all the 3's and Y's. But he and I had NO idea what the HDMI port was for. Is there a theory going around about it? Was the old 2nd Ethernet port used on some installs?

I also have a 2017 Model X with FSD. How did they notify you HW3 was available?
As was mentioned, they sent me an email in my Tesla phone app.

Also, I was told this cannot be done via mobile service.

I should also mention, that I notice no difference in AP performance. I do notice that the maps take forever to load now when the map changes. Probably due to the fact that more info is associated with the maps now, and the old NIC can't really keep up. I understand, the newer MCU also includes an upgraded NIC.

Last edited: