Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they're contacting people when their VIN block comes up- why would that matter?
To see if the process is actually by VIN or purchase date or something else? A service advisor casually explained it as giving preference to those who have been waiting longer, but this could just be his interpretation of "by VIN," or "by VIN" could be a shorthand to explain the process as generally earlier purchases have lower VINs. Or maybe "by VIN" just means the specific vehicles that Tesla has chosen to fall into one group or another.

To see if the process is actually by VIN or purchase date or something else? A service advisor casually explained it as giving preference to those who have been waiting longer, but this could just be his interpretation of "by VIN," or "by VIN" could be a shorthand to explain the process as generally earlier purchases have lower VINs. Or maybe "by VIN" just means the specific vehicles that Tesla has chosen to fall into one group or another.

Ok, but that'd just be "FSD purchase date" then- if you bought it with the car or not still wouldn't matter... that's what I was asking about- can't imagine any scenario where that makes a difference.

Reactions: GuyDude
LR RWD. Delivery March 2018. Purchased FSD about a month later. I texted Tesla about it and they said my VIN ( 009xxx) was due for upgrade. I had some other items like noise suspension so it worked out well. Flying to Denver for a week and rented a P100D. Merry Christmas

My car should be ready by Sunday. I will post results of the retrofit.

A644B702-A766-40C2-BBA3-9F39CAE88C84.jpeg

Tesla is aware that some will be tempted to "find" some service work, and that they would be upset if they are faced with customers doing that. Might find yourself "flagged" if discovered.

Idea is to smoothly roll out the available HW3 chips by installing them into customer cars when they are in for other service. Do not want to clog up the service bays with people making up problems, just to get a shot at the new chip.
I was told they don't do off-the-street upgrades, you'll get notified when you turn comes.

I was told they don't do off-the-street upgrades, you'll get notified when you turn comes.

correct. It has nothing do to with what Uncle Paul said. If your VIN is due then it’s due. Feel free to call Tesla 100 times a day if you want. I can’t stand this notion that we need to not bother the SC. That is total BS. Tesla is is the business of customer service. They will never ‘flag’ your car. Total nonsense. I texted my dealer once a week for the last month until they said my car was eligible. Luckily I had 6 other items like my suspension squeaking, rear door handles staying in the open position etc... so worked out well... BUT had I had zero other issues Tesla would have gladly performed ONLY the HW3 upgrade. Clearly some of you have not come from other luxury brands like Bmw, MB, etc.. where their customer service will do everything short of sexual favors to make you happy and you guys are worries not to bother Tesla? LOL... f that. Enjoy your HW3 upgrades and Merry Christmas you filthy animals!

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
correct. It has nothing do to with what Uncle Paul said. If your VIN is due then it’s due. Feel free to call Tesla 100 times a day if you want.

I mean, folks wonder why most SCs don't even answer calls anymore and some SCs have weeks-long waits to get any appointment for any service...

If they're answering 100 calls a week, at say 5 minutes a call, just to tell people who aren't on the list anyway they're not on the list, that's over over 20% of a service guys work week he isn't performing actual service on actual cars

Of course it has nothing to do with it. My point was there is nothing wrong about inquiring. If your vin is due then it’s due. I have a very early production model so hence why my VIN is up for upgrade.
I'm curious when Matt Schummer (Tech Talk) gets his. Although he may not have purchased fsd. Another interesting question is, as stated, upgrades were to go to FSD orderers, will that, in actuality, be the case?

I'm curious when Matt Schummer (Tech Talk) gets his. Although he may not have purchased fsd. Another interesting question is, as stated, upgrades were to go to FSD orderers, will that, in actuality, be the case?

I don’t ever remember Tesla stating what the order of install would be. If you can point to it, I’d be curious to see.

And who is Matt Schummer and why should anyone care when he gets his?

Reactions: silenteski

From my understanding HW3 upgrade is ONLY available to those who pre-purchased FSD. It is also free only to those who purchased FSD prior to a certain date. Anyone who purchased post the cut-off date will need to pay to upgrade from 2.5 —> 3.0

From my understanding HW3 upgrade is ONLY available to those who pre-purchased FSD. It is also free only to those who purchased FSD prior to a certain date. Anyone who purchased post the cut-off date will need to pay to upgrade from 2.5 —> 3.0
That's precisely how I remember it as well. Given they are paying customers can they call up, order it, and effectively cut in line?

Nope. No such thing.

If you bought FSD, ever, you get HW3 if you don't already have it.

That's precisely how I remember it as well. Given they are paying customers can they call up, order it, and effectively cut in line?

Dunno where you guys are getting this stuff from.

If you bought FSD you get the HW3 upgrade free. Period. There is no "cut off date"

There is no "buying HW3" without FSD for anybody.

Below is what the FSD purchase page says right now as of this post

hw3upgrade.jpg