Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I submitted a service appt request for my AP3 upgrade. The earliest appt time was Jan 10. I am assuming they will cancel the appt. But maybe I will get lucky.
So did I - for a mobile appointment on 8th. I expect that to get cancelled.

I got my 3 in May '18 - with a vin of 19xxx. Looks like the upgrades are still in low 4 digits - so might be a while before we get our chance.

But, early Q1 should be the time they can do a lot of upgrades. Thats when the deliveries are low and the service people should be relatively free.

So did I - for a mobile appointment on 8th. I expect that to get cancelled.

I got my 3 in May '18 - with a vin of 19xxx. Looks like the upgrades are still in low 4 digits - so might be a while before we get our chance.

But, early Q1 should be the time they can do a lot of upgrades. Thats when the deliveries are low and the service people should be relatively free.

I hadn’t considered the low deliveries aspect of Q1, which makes sense.

While I would *really* like my new computer yesterday there’s something to be said for my SC doing a few hundred of them before getting to my car. I’d like them to have all the kinks worked out for the installation process.

I hadn’t considered the low deliveries aspect of Q1, which makes sense.

While I would *really* like my new computer yesterday there’s something to be said for my SC doing a few hundred of them before getting to my car. I’d like them to have all the kinks worked out for the installation process.

that, and as noted, there's been several revisions of the HW3 part already- so by coming later in the queue one might get a "better" part

Reactions: mtndrew1
My X is in for its 2-year/25k miles service. In the notes for the appointment I said "Would also love the HW3 upgrade, but I know they're very limited supply."

At drop off the service guy was looking through the notes then said "huh, looks like we were able to get you that HW3 kit for your VIN"...

Can't wait to pick it up and confirm, but it does look like the kits continue to trickle out.

Nick

My X is in for its 2-year/25k miles service. In the notes for the appointment I said "Would also love the HW3 upgrade, but I know they're very limited supply."

At drop off the service guy was looking through the notes then said "huh, looks like we were able to get you that HW3 kit for your VIN"...

Can't wait to pick it up and confirm, but it does look like the kits continue to trickle out.

Nick

Do you have MCU1 or MCU2?

Hello,

I own the 2019 Model-3 (LR-Dual Motor) that was purchased in Sept 2018. I had purchased the FSD when it was for sale for $2k around March, 2019.

Till date, haven't heard from Tesla when they will be swapping the HW2.5 to HW3 and activating the FDS.

Has anyone who owns similar config car from 2018 has heard or got their hardware/software updated for FSD??

Thanks!!!

My 2018 LR Model 3 has appointment tomorrow at Dublin Service Center for install of HW3. Vin 4XXX I was picking up my Model X from service today and just asked when I can get my Model 3 HW3 installed. They just had a service cancellation tomorrow otherwise it would be three weeks out.

• Informative
Reactions: focher
Since Elon tweeted that Model 3's will get HW3 upgrades in earnest in Q1 2020, I figure I wanted to see where everyone was at regarding getting HW3 installed in their vehicle. This is NOT a thread to ping your service center asking for an upgrade (I heard those are automatically canceled anyways), but for those who get a notification that they're up for an upgrade.

For Model 3's built before the June/July 2018 or so (possibly VINs 50k and less, so I'd like to hear what your VINs are), I heard the upgrade takes about 4-5 hours due to the need to solder in a wiring harness between the AP2.5 and HW3 computers + normal testing. For Model 3's built after that the HW3 upgrade should be relatively plug n play.

Since most cars built after April 2019 have HW3 installed already, that means the total HW3 upgrade population for Model 3's is somewhere between 160-240,000 vehicles and assuming 25% take rate for FSD, we're talking about 40-60,000 service visits required.

So I'd like to know the following:
  1. What is the highest VIN with HW2.5 in your model 3.
  2. If Tesla has contacted you for a HW3 upgrade, what are the following?
  • Last 6 digits VIN, Build Date,
  • FSD purchase with delivery? If so Delivery Date?
  • FSD purchased after delivery? If so FSD purchase date?
I purchased FSD on delivery (09/2018) and VIN 741xx, 08/2018 build date. I have not received an upgrade notification yet.

*edit*
Apologies for the typo (extra Did) on the 4th option. Can't edit stupid poll...

Last edited:
I was at the service center for an unrelated reason (asking about tire replacement), and asked them when my car would be ready for the HW3 upgrade. He looked up my VIN (in the 37,000s) and said it came up as eligible for the upgrade. He said to schedule an appointment on the app for it, and that they don't contact people for it.

I scheduled an appointment for Thursday, the first opening available.

VIN 37,0xx,
Purchased the car in late June 2018,
Purchased FSD sometime in March 2019, when it was significantly discounted.

Hope this helps!

Edit: I didn't vote as I'm not sure what category I fall under, Tesla didn't contact me about the upgrade, but did tell me that I am eligible and will be getting it in a few days.