Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had my Model 3 upgraded to HW3. It only took them a day. I dropped off the car at 8 am and it was done by 5 pm. They did the FSD Retrofit, tire rotation, and a ultrasonic sensor recalibration.

I wasn't expecting them to do the FSD Retrofit, but I went in for ultrasonic sensors getting false positives for obstacles so I put in FSD Retrofit in the notes. Was surprised to see it included in the repair estimate from the mobile app. And when I went in they confirmed that it would be installed.

My VIN is 79xxx and I purchased FSD at the time of vehicle configuration. Delivered in September 2018.

A few observations after my retrofit:
  • As expected, it wiped everything. All my settings were erased except for the keys. Don't forget to turn on things like walk-away door lock back on!
  • Rear camera looks very different. Especially the color and contrast.
  • Stop line visualization is not working reliably. Even on well painted roads it fails to show a lot of the time.
  • The 3D representation on the new visualizations is very impressive. Especially with cones and poles. I drive past an area with the center divider with flexible reflective delineator posts in a triangular layout and it renders on the display perfectly.
  • Lots of false positives on the visualizations for cones. Especially fire hydrants.
  • Autopilot feels a little different, but maybe that could just be a placebo effect...
  • Traffic light detection works pretty well, but it doesn't show arrow turn lights or traffic lights with more than 3 lights. Blinking yellow light on my local toll booth also shows as a yellow traffic light on the display.
I can't wait until FSD specific features roll out! :)

Last edited:
This is the text message I got when they cancelled my appointment:

"HW3 is being rolled out in batches, similar to firmware roll out. We are unable to predict when this vin will be eligible."

I don't know whether to believe them or not, since they gave me misinformation before on rear spoiler availability....

This is the text message I got when they cancelled my appointment:

"HW3 is being rolled out in batches, similar to firmware roll out. We are unable to predict when this vin will be eligible."

I don't know whether to believe them or not, since they gave me misinformation before on rear spoiler availability....

Well you can surely believe them that they don't know.

I have a vin that starts with a 5 and had my car in for service last week and was told it’s not my cars turn yet. So they are definitely not going by vin numbers.

When you say, starts with a 5, is it?

0005XX
005XXX
05XXXX or
5XXXXX?

If you are referring to the actual first "5' as in 5YJ3E1EAXJFxxxxxx, all U.S. built Teslas start with a 5.

Any VIN that doesn't start with a zero is clearly not up yet.

• Funny
Reactions: Gt1948
So… I just saw a scheduled service appointment appear unprompted for next week. Nothing listed under services / details. Maybe it's for FSD retrofit? Except it's at a service center in California where we originally picked up the car not the close one to where we live. VIN 06

• Informative
Reactions: Az_Rael
Called the local service center and they moved the appointment to next available spot time February and confirmed it was for FSD.
This is in line with what a local service center employee told me:
- cars come up in their system as eligible in weekly batches; apparently it looks just like a recall would
- when they see this, they tentatively schedule the owner for next available appointment slot and then reach out via text or email to confirm the time. It sounded like this part was completely up to the SC staff.
- currently, there’s no formal mechanism for notifying via an app alert/inbox
Now, this is just a guy who does front desk at the SC and whom I occasionally have beers with, so not official info at all.