Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Keep in mind, they already are asking for ($3k + $7k) for FSD --- so $10k plus tax --- or $11k in CA for a feature
There is only one price for FSD $7k
You might be confusing it when there was EAP and FSD options available.
Standard Autopilot is included with all cars.
It has been like this for some time:
upload_2020-5-19_16-32-38.png

There is only one price for FSD $7k
You might be confusing it when there was EAP and FSD options available.
Standard Autopilot is included with all cars.
It has been like this for some time:
View attachment 543099

Yeah I think this pricing structure fixes a lot of the complaints about the FSD package before. Currently, the FSD package contains auto lane change, summon (smart or dumb), Navigate On Autopilot, etc, plus the promise of future feature additions, plus the HW3 retrofit.

Before, the FSD package was literally just the HW3 retrofit promise and the promise of nondescript future features.

I would still argue that at the original $3k, it made financial sense for some people who wanted to keep their car longer -- basically a preorder of the HW3 computer. As long as you plan on keeping the car long enough to get value out of the FSD retrofit, then you come out ahead.

The alternative, after all, is still some form of selling your current car and buying a new one. And for me with a S100D that has 53k miles with HW2.0, I still think I made the right choice paying $2500 for MCU2 and prepaying $3000 for FSD, ending up with $5500 to get the latest electronics that I care about in a Tesla.

No matter how I try to price out a trade-in for a new Model S, I can't make that come out better than $5500.

Cant wait to laugh about all this when they unveil ap4...ill bet money they are gunna have another ap1/ap2 p100d situation when the plaid model s comes out where they will have the latest and greatest upon release with ap3....and not even 3 months later boom ap4....i would be fuming.

Rip the souls of all ap1 owners and roadster owners. I am extremely grateful for all your sacrifices. Cant stop mentioning it.

Ive driven 20 different loaners and every time idk how anyone bought the model s for over 100k for any other reason other then it being electric and fast. Blows my mind.

Cant wait to laugh about all this when they unveil ap4...ill bet money they are gunna have another ap1/ap2 p100d situation when the plaid model s comes out where they will have the latest and greatest upon release with ap3....and not even 3 months later boom ap4....i would be fuming.

Rip the souls of all ap1 owners and roadster owners. I am extremely grateful for all your sacrifices. Cant stop mentioning it.

Ive driven 20 different loaners and every time idk how anyone bought the model s for over 100k for any other reason other then it being electric and fast. Blows my mind.

It was electric, fast, higher range than anything else on the market at the time, and was large (both in terms of interior space and hauling capacity). And both in terms of infotainment and Autopilot capabilities ever since Karpathy took over it's been one of the most compelling ADAS systems that you can buy without restricting yourself to singular oddly specific models of certain cars.

Not sure what your alternative is. If you wait there will always be something more affordable and newer around the corner. At some point you just have to decide that the price for what you get is worth it to you, and that's what a lot of Model S and Model X owners did.

Sure, in today's market, a lot of them will likely have gone with a Model 3 instead, but that doesn't mean they were stupid for getting a different Tesla back when it wasn't an option.

Actually the agreement is whatever hardware is required to make it work, so if there is an AP4 that is required, then there will be a free retrofit for installation of that.

Reactions: UncaNed
Actually the agreement is whatever hardware is required to make it work, so if there is an AP4 that is required, then there will be a free retrofit for installation of that.

It will be whatever hardware is required to make it work to some definition of Full Self Driving from Tesla, which means if they can achieve that with AP2.5 or AP3 they don't owe it to you to upgrade you to AP4/AP5, even if the newer hardware suite does a better job at it.

It seems like Tesla is admitting that they hit their limits on HW2.5 with navigate on autopilot and considers it cheaper to throw in the towel and upgrade HW2.x to HW3 than to try to squeeze some shoddy FSD implementation onto HW2.x. We still don't know how that will be for HW3 vs HW4.

you know that aint gunna happen. They keep walking back promises.

Ap3 will probably be - “okay so we did it, but you still have to monitor the car” ap4 will be....you can sleep in the car. And that will spur a ridiculous amount of sales...

i dont like how they dont mention in the infotainment upgrade that ap2 cars can only see monochrome/green/red on dashcam....so we pay 2500$ to sorta have feature parity with newer vehicles....always bitter sweet....

i dont like how they dont mention in the infotainment upgrade that ap2 cars can only see monochrome/green/red on dashcam....so we pay 2500$ to sorta have feature parity with newer vehicles....always bitter sweet....

It clearly says that dashcam color tone may vary. But really does this matter? I have a HW2.0 and a HW2.5 car and one of them records creepy reddish gray footage and the other records creepy orange mars like footage.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Well, that did not take long. The Alpharetta service center contacted me to let me know they don’t have any HW3 boards at this time. They said they would put me on a list and will reschedule when they have more available.
A quick update. I was contacted May 27th (my original, online appointment was made on April 21st) by the Alpharetta Service Center that they had the hardware v3 board and could schedule me for the 29th. I dropped the car off around 11am and it was ready by 4pm.

The cameras finished calibrating after about 20 miles. As others have reported, while the software was upgraded to 16.2, the maps required an update before the stop sign/light capability was selectable in the Autopilot menu.

I was pleasantly surprised that Tesla proactively reached out to me to schedule this work. Nice job Tesla!

As others have reported, while the software was upgraded to 16.2, the maps required an update before the stop sign/light capability was selectable in the Autopilot menu
The stop sign/light capability is reserved only for Early Access Program (EAP) members, which I am not. I wish Tesla simply eliminated the grayed toggle switch to avoid leading customers on. I scheduled a software update appointment, where Tesla relayed the information above.

Scheduled appointment via the Tesla app, which was converted to a mobile installation at my home. Technician completed work under 1 hour. An empty and clean car will speed things along in a Model 3 (e.g. remove child passenger side rear carseat).

The stop sign/light capability is reserved only for Early Access Program (EAP) members, which I am not. I wish Tesla simply eliminated the grayed toggle switch to avoid leading customers on. I scheduled a software update appointment, where Tesla relayed the information above.

Stop light/stop sign capability is no longer EAP, it has been available to all for about a month now (I believe since 2020.12.6). You do need to have HW3 upgrade and FSD for it to work (not sure if it works if you have Enhanced Auto Pilot but no FSD).

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
Stop light/stop sign capability is no longer EAP, it has been available to all for about a month now (I believe since 2020.12.6). You do need to have HW3 upgrade and FSD for it to work (not sure if it works if you have Enhanced Auto Pilot but no FSD).
@TT97 thanks! I scheduled an appointment for the maps. Tesla service called me exactly 90 minutes later that they will push the 2020.20 update and the maps will follow. The technician left me his direct number which is really cool. / Yes, I have FSD upgrade.

Had our late 2016 Model S upgraded from AP 2.0 to FSD this past Tuesday. The re-synch was complete before i was half way home, but I couldn’t use the features because it needed the Maps updated. (Note: when you drop your car off, perhaps ask them explicitly to upgrade the maps while they have it, doesn’t seem like we should have to ask, but...)
Sadly, it’s my wifes car and thatnks to the combo of coronavirus, protests and curfew, I haven’t had cause to drive it again now that maps have actually updated. I did order a micro-sd card to setup for dashcam/sentry recording though.

I had our 2017 S AP2.0 MCU1 upgraded to HW3(no MCU2) this week. It was kept overnight. When I picked up the car, the GPS was not working. I had to bring it back to the Paramus SC. My service advisor said a problem with the cameras caused the GPS to become inoperative. I picked up the car after hours today, finding the cameras were calibrating on the way home. Now the dash cam and sentry work. I have to say the customer service was great. They have significantly improved this year.