Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my 2019 Model S 75D I have a install for HW3 this Thursday, the first 2 appointments they cancelled saying they didn't see a work order but then just today they said it was available. I paid for FSD last Thursday, so a pretty quick turnaround. However I am little nervous now hearing the calibration issues some of you have had.

Picked up my car last night and had to recalibrate cameras by driving around a bit. Had a large update to the maps and toggled on the traffic controls on NoA. This AM I wake up and both NoA and traffic light control are turned off and greyed out asking for maps updates but there are no updates pending?

• Love
Reactions: Char
My friend who got the car same time as I did got his update yesterday, a week before I will get mine (but mine will be installed at home). I warned him about Green the Only finding old computers on eBay and so he brought it up with the service center when he picked it up. They laughed. Said it had been a HUGE faux pas at Tesla and they clamped down on those immediately.

He said that the odo trip meter was reset, that's disappointing, I renamed my Trip B to Lifetime and it let me see my efficiency over time. I guess it has been pretty rock solid at 249 wh/mi, even when I changed to the 19" rims and summer tires. Maybe not that upsetting.

He also said the seat lost it's saved position. I asked him about his favorites (stations, songs and maps) and he didn't reply yet, but I heard several people comment that those were not transferred over, while others commented that their's were. Fingers crossed for mine.

He was too busy downloading the map data when he got home to play with the car last night so I await more details today.

What you lose, or don't, seems HUGELY YMMV.

My odometers were all still there- basically everything was retained except my AP/FSD settings were back to defaults, and you 100% will need to redo your bluetooth/text and wifi stuff since the HW changed... oh and I had to reprogram homelink (the old one was there but didn't work until I readded it)

What you lose, or don't, seems HUGELY YMMV.

My odometers were all still there- basically everything was retained except my AP/FSD settings were back to defaults, and you 100% will need to redo your bluetooth/text and wifi stuff since the HW changed... oh and I had to reprogram homelink (the old one was there but didn't work until I readded it)
You loose the mentioned setting after the MCU2 upgrade!

I'm a bit confused by all the different scenarios. Got a late 2016 model x. If I buy FSD, I'll get some kind of hardware upgrade, but I'll have to pay for the mcu upgrade? Will FSD work without upgrading the MCU? Is that correct? Do I need the MCU upgrade to get sentry mode and dashcam or just the hardware upgrade that's already included with the fsd purchase?

Tesla reached out to me to let me know that my Feb 2017 S 75D was eligible for the free upgrade. It took about two weeks before first available appointment. I just picked up my car. Tesla kept it over night, but it wasnt dropped off until 2pm. It calibrated for about 8 miles before completion.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikes_fsd
I'm a bit confused by all the different scenarios. Got a late 2016 model x. If I buy FSD, I'll get some kind of hardware upgrade, but I'll have to pay for the mcu upgrade? Will FSD work without upgrading the MCU? Is that correct? Do I need the MCU upgrade to get sentry mode and dashcam or just the hardware upgrade that's already included with the fsd purchase?

Your car has 2 main computers.

The driving computer used for AP/EAP/FSD stuff (this is HW2.0 in your car right now)

The media computer used for display and infotainment. (this is MCU1 in your car right now).

FSD gets you a driving computer upgrade to HW3.0 (plus the added features of FSD- which added features depends on if you have EAP, or just basic AP right now)

It's $2500 if you want the MCU updated to MCU2.

This page explains what you get with the MCU upgrade
Infotainment Upgrade

Note- I THINK a combo of HW2.5 (newer than what you have) and MCU1 gets you dashcam/sentry on 3 cameras instead of 4- so I'd GUESS that HW3 with MCU1 does to- but not sure.... HW3 with MCU2 gets you all 4.... and most folks I've seen who get the MCU2 upgrade say it's well worth it for general interface improvements)

RE calibration after a HW3 upgrade: there are TWO calibration periods necessary. The first is indicated in the dashboard display and can be completed in a half-hour or so.

There is another - look at your Autopilot page under Settings, and you'll see something about "calibration 99% completed" after the initial calibration completes. The second calibration takes about 60 - 100 miles of driving to complete and clear the "99%" message.

My late Feb 2018 Model S was upgraded from AP2.5 and MCU1 to AP3/MCU2 yesterday. Very happy with everything so far.

No AP calibration seemed to be required. I drove home with Nav on Autopilot enabled, almost immediately entered a freeway and drove for 100 miles with one pit stop. Very smooth, perhaps a bit more solid in the lane positioning, and very similar lane change and navigation performance. However, a software upgrade was in the wings when I left the service center, so did not get it installed until arriving home. Now I have the traffic light and stop sign beta features, so it may be that software was not taking advantage of the new AP at all. Looking forward to some new testing. I live 30min away from freeways so don’t drive on them much, but there are some good tests locally for AP on secondary roads, will find out shortly if I can see a difference.

MCU2 is a huge improvement. Display is beautiful, and very quick. MCU1 would take a while to fill in satellite images when switching from standard map, MCU2 does it in a flash, and close-up satellite street images in the “rotate map to keep car image pointing forward” mode stay with the car very smoothly, where they used to jerk a bit before. Haven’t tried the fun & games stuff yet.

Finally got my upgrade today:

98D40072-9A3B-4965-968F-8BB1E1F1ADAD_1_105_c.jpeg

So I set up a comfy chair to enjoy the show

61576140953__E0115624-D08C-4268-85D2-8DE372A26481.jpeg

First connected their laptop to my car and backed up my profile, then unhooked the 12v battery under the hood and the 400v battery under the back seat. Then removed the glovebox and knee airbag and the interior panels needed to get those out. In the frunk, he unhooked the coolant lines and bent them up so they didn't drip. He let me slip in and spray coil cleaner on the AC to stop the stink when the AC first turns on, even pulled my filters for me. Nice guy. With the old computer out he let me check them both out. The new one doesn't have the two ethernet ports, but it does have HDMI. I think that's USB C I see there too, not micro USB. He had to modify the wiring harness since I have an older TM3. Then he aligned the four bolts and pushed the new one thru the firewall and ran around and bolted it down and re-attached the coolant lines. Then just attached the wires to the new box and put the dash back together. On the laptop again he ran the coolant purge and restored my profile.

61576169243__702672C7-C59F-4018-86EC-9A387E95A661.jpeg
61576232085__F796BC5D-06F5-4237-88B3-B7DD33DD6BA2.jpeg
61576300223__03ABB5A4-9A42-44DC-9608-1365AC453AAF.jpeg
61576304084__1471E49C-87F8-4B3F-A73F-641732EA3768.jpeg
61576392265__543CBCBD-231C-487E-9450-B89B642D98C3.jpeg
372CB21A-CB55-4938-94DD-2373D3714DD8_1_105_c.jpeg
61576376540__231BD320-4224-4B04-8071-E905E8C276EA.jpeg
61576585879__EC8135EA-F1ED-4B36-97B4-FED01C69A8B5.jpeg

Already had the new maps and 2020.20.12, everything transferred to the new computer, just needed to reattach my iPhone and my WiFi

Last edited:
I got mine a couple of months ago. I kept scheduling appointments and after the 3rd time, they finally said they had my VIN ready. Everything was erased (including the odometer). I had setup my phone, garage opener, home address, EVERYTHING. They did lose my keycard and I didn't have the second one with me when I went to pickup my car after the service, so they had to make me a whole new key card, which could have resulted those resets.

I got the HW3 upgrade in my mid-2017 MS a couple of weeks ago (purchased FSD a year or two ago, though). I didn't upgrade the MCU, and was worried about reports that the MCU slowed WAY down with HW3. However, I'm not noticing anything particularly objectionable. It calibrated for 7-8 miles and then started recognizing traffic lights. Cool! I thought I might find myself having to upgrade the MCU as well, but I'm going to leave it for now. In any event, I don't seem to have the option to buy one, so maybe it's not available for my SKU yet. (I missed the "uncork" upgrade build-date cutoff by two days. Sheesh.)

Fred

Finally got my upgrade today:

View attachment 561460
So I set up a comfy chair to enjoy the show

View attachment 561462

First connected their laptop to my car and backed up my profile, then unhooked the 12v battery under the hood and the 400v battery under the back seat. Then removed the glovebox and knee airbag and the interior panels needed to get those out. In the frunk, he unhooked the coolant lines and bent them up so they didn't drip. He let me slip in and spray coil cleaner on the AC to stop the stink when the AC first turns on, even pulled my filters for me. Nice guy. With the old computer out he let me check them both out. The new one doesn't have the two ethernet ports, but it does have HDMI. I think that's USB C I see there too, not micro USB. He had to modify the wiring harness since I have an older TM3. Then he aligned the four bolts and pushed the new one thru the firewall and ran around and bolted it down and re-attached the coolant lines. Then just attached the wires to the new box and put the dash back together. On the laptop again he ran the coolant purge and restored my profile.

View attachment 561463 View attachment 561464 View attachment 561465 View attachment 561466 View attachment 561468 View attachment 561478 View attachment 561467 View attachment 561469

Already had the new maps and 2020.20.12, everything transferred to the new computer, just needed to reattach my iPhone and my WiFi
Looks like a good time to change the filter is that correct? Would like the change as it two years old. Great photos & description mine is July 28th. to be done at my office.