Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this done mobile. The tech said he could do s and x mobile but 3 needed to be done in house.
See all my previous posts of getting my TM3 upgraded. Did it in my driveway in an hour, including a wire harness mod. No coolant ended up on the driveway, and we spent the hour talking Tesla. It was great. They are getting about 3 done a day per tech and said there are about 16 techs working out of his office.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
See all my previous posts of getting my TM3 upgraded. Did it in my driveway in an hour, including a wire harness mod. No coolant ended up on the driveway, and we spent the hour talking Tesla. It was great. They are getting about 3 done a day per tech and said there are about 16 techs working out of his office.

Oh nice to hear, missed the part about it being a model 3. I had my computer put it pretty quick but the tech spent an extra few hours trying to get my car to get the new software update. He said every once in a while without any real reason he gets a stubborn car like me.

My Model 3 is scheduled to be upgrade at my house on 14 July. I guess it depends on your location.
Well, as it turns out, they can't actually do the mobile refit in MD yet. They can schedule it, but not do it. The day before the technician was supposed to show up, I got a text telling me that the tooling hadn't arrived in time to do the mobile refit. I was given the choice to bring the car in at the scheduled time, or wait 3 to 4 weeks in the hopes that the tooling would arrive. When I was able to get the technician to call me, he informed me that the computer wasn't due to arrive until the day after my scheduled refit, and that he would give me a call when it came in. It came in late on the day my refit was scheduled, so they were able to do the refit the next day. The technician agreed that Tesla really needs to get the service figured out. I felt for him. Just think of the abuse he must get on a daily basis.

I made an appointment via the app for a few items from a due bill 3 days ago, closest appointment was 8/14 at the Renton SC. I added a few new noises and the desire to upgrade to AP3 on my late 2018 MX (came with FSD Capability).

Got an email last night saying they ordered the following parts.
Parts Ordered

1. ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED
Part #: 1655000-70-I
Order Date: July 23, 2020

2. ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX
Part #: 1507950-00-A
Order Date: July 23, 2020

I am going to stick with MCU1 for now.

Could lack of HW3 be why our Model 3 with version 2020.24.6.9 be the reason I dont see anyway to enable the stop light and stop sign functionality on local roads. We upgraded to FSD at the end of June. Do we need to get HW3 installed for this new functionality to show up?

Reactions: tjkenny15
As a 2017 Model X owner with FSD, I emailed Tesla and voiced my frustration that I am not getting the full FSD experience as I've been upgraded to HW3, but my MCU was not upgraded. Their response is if I want FSD visualizations, buy the Infotainment upgrade. I don't want or care about the Infotainment extras like Netflix or Arcade games. But I do want everything associated with the FSD experience, including the visualizations. When I paid for the FSD, my assumption was and has always been, I get everything associated with FSD. When I paid extra for this feature, I was not told I would have to pay another $2500 to get the full FSD experience.

Yes, the FSD is "functional", but not complete. Since my HW upgrade, I have FSD functionality, but now other features are affected. My maps take forever to load. I get alot of buffering on streaming audio. I suspect that the FSD functionality has taxed other aspects of the car.

My next step is writing Tesla corporate. I suggest that anyone else in my situation also write Tesla corporate to complain. Give us what we paid for.

Since my HW upgrade, I have FSD functionality, but now other features are affected. My maps take forever to load. I get alot of buffering on streaming audio. I suspect that the FSD functionality has taxed other aspects of the car.
Not sure you are aware of this, but the FSD computer has nothing to do with your MCU, installing the FSD unit is not going to change how your maps load.
You might have a failing MCU unit, but to say FSD computer upgrade somehow affected your maps or music on the MCU isn't going to get you very far.

If FSD has nothing to do with the MCU, why then are the FSD visualizations only included with the MCU upgrade? I believe that FSD utilizes information on maps, which are larger in size and the NIC on the MCU is having problems keeping up.

If they gave me the FSD visualizations without the MCU upgrade, I wouldn't be writing any of this. I just want what I paid for.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhaseWhite
If they gave me the FSD visualizations without the MCU upgrade, I wouldn't be writing any of this. I just want what I paid for.

Can you cite where in the description of FSD features you paid for "visualizations" is listed?

I ask- because HW3/MCU2 owners who don't even have FSD have those visualizations.

Because It's a feature of that specific HW combo, not a feature of paying for FSD.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Full Self-Driving Computer Installations

"... with the FSD Computer you will have access to an enhanced Driving Visualization that offers more insight into how your Tesla perceives the world around you and future Full Self-Driving Capabilities, pending regulatory approval. Note that the enhanced Driving Visualization requires the latest Infotainment system."

That's not a description of what you get buying FSD though.

it's just a mention of something you ALSO get with that computer if you ALSO have MCU2.

here, let me save you some time... attached are all 3 versions of the FSD promise listing what you actually "paid for" depending when you purchased.

0 of them mention the visualizations as included.

Original pre-March-2019 FSD features you'd have bought if purchasing before then:

fsdprom.png

The "old" version below is March 2019 up to a few months ago.... the new is after that... Again no visualizations promised to you.

fsdv3.png

Last edited: