Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got pics of the hatchback open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the lack of head rests that was a just for the demo unit. I believe neck and head support is required in the US. Maybe they will do a retractable/foldable headrest.

Yeah you can clearly seem them in their retracted position:

Third row headrest.png

From this video:

Right. The only way to avoid that is to drastically lower the seating position which results in an uncomfortable knees-up seating position. Then again, the 3rd row in the Highlander is nothing to write home about either, but at least the headroom is not the problem as the roofline is basically level.
I agree with the Highlander statement. I would think though that since we don't have transmission linkages below the floor of the Teslas, that there would be more room for legroom (?). The pics I've seen of the 3rd row don't have headrests (which could be due to the fact that it is a prototype, but it could be indicative of the lack of clearance). My kids are too old for the 3rd row and I plan to save the $3k, personally.

I agree with the Highlander statement. I would think though that since we don't have transmission linkages below the floor of the Teslas, that there would be more room for legroom (?). The pics I've seen of the 3rd row don't have headrests (which could be due to the fact that it is a prototype, but it could be indicative of the lack of clearance). My kids are too old for the 3rd row and I plan to save the $3k, personally.
They still have to get around the "penthouse" in the battery pack and the rear drive unit. The sub-trunk area in the Model 3 is not useful for a footwell because it's too far back.

The picture of the retracted headrest above is also instructive to show the placement of the seat back relative to the inside of the hatch. There is little to no clearance between them, as is typical in this kind of mid-size 3-row crossover.

Reactions: swengl
Personally, based on the vehicle profile, I don't see how they can claim that adults will fit in the 3rd row. I heard Kim from TesLike say that she hopes that they will provide built-in booster for kids in the 3rd row. That's a really good idea. That is one of the things I really like about Volvo cars. Although, now that my kid is beyond booster age, she would complain about the lack of seat heating in the positions that have boosters. She loves the seat heaters in the 3.

I ordered a Y but may go for a 3 instead. Why? Looked up the capacity of the Prius and it's 65.5 cu. ft. of storage. .5 less than the Y. The makes the Y more of a hot hatch that an SUV in my opinion. I've owned a Prius since 2005 and I am ready for something different.

I ordered a Y but may go for a 3 instead. Why? Looked up the capacity of the Prius and it's 65.5 cu. ft. of storage. .5 less than the Y. The makes the Y more of a hot hatch that an SUV in my opinion. I've owned a Prius since 2005 and I am ready for something different.
Both the 3 and the Y will certainly be different than a Prius. In a good way....

The video "Introducing Model Y" on the Tesla YouTube channel has a wider shot of the hatch opening.

Here is a screen cap of it.

Model Y Hatch Opening.jpg

You can see the distance from the lip to the 3rd row seat back hinge in this image. Hopefully there is a sizable underfloor space there too. One other thing to notice is the two buttons on the right side panel. Power folding seats?

• Informative
Reactions: daktari

It is definitely more of a hot hatch. It actually looks more like a Porsche Macan or BMW X4 competitor than a competitor for something like a Honda CRV.

I expected to be underwhelmed but instead I think the Model Y is sexy as hell.

For my personal vehicle I first and foremost want something that is very fun to drive and is fast. On the weekends my car will pull double duty hauling the family around. We are expecting kiddo #2 and have had Au Pairs living with us for the last four years so there are times that seating five is going to be very valuable.

I am very tempted to get the Y but likely won't do so till it's been in production for a while, based on the teething issues I have seen with my 3.

I can totally get that some people just want a highly utilitarian vehicle, and Tesla is not building that right now and apparently has no plans to build it.

It is definitely more of a hot hatch. It actually looks more like a Porsche Macan or BMW X4 competitor than a competitor for something like a Honda CRV. I expected to be underwhelmed but instead I think the Model Y is sexy as hell.

Agreed! The Y is going to be a hit despite all the negativity on TMC. Here's my take.

1) A car's success is not all about it's LOOKS! Being a beauty queen does not make a car. Plain Clean Simplicity is better sometimes.
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer.
3) Ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300 mile range is by far unbeatable for any EV Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the Y is custom tailored to their market.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

Here’s the way I intend to set mine up... Performance, black, white interior, tints, lowered, 21” wheels etc
(Click onto the image to enlarge)

8B50FF5A-21A2-4456-B2A8-30A7EE699E88.jpeg

A sleek, fast, great handling American made aero hatch, w/0-60 of 3.5 sec, seats 7, and a 300 mile range!!!... that’s amazing man!

Last edited:
Agreed! The Y is going to be a hit despite all the negativity on TMC. Here's my take.

1) A car's success is not all about it's LOOKS! Being a beauty queen does not make a car. Plain Clean Simplicity is better sometimes.
2) Once on the road, people will get to see what it really has to offer.
3) Ample room, versatility, and improved dependability which naturally comes from platform sharing.
4) Like a Hot-Hatch of yesteryear, the Y will be a stealthy speed demon in P form ready to blow away the competition for under $60K.
5) It WILL be among the best, if not the very best handling Crossover on the market (which will improve its safety maneuvering rating).
6) If Crash-Tests prove to be on par with other Tesla's or better, couples with young children will flock to the stores or the net to buy one.
7) Ingress and Egress, (especially for older adults and seniors) is said to be better than the 3.
8) The 300 mile range is by far unbeatable for any EV Crossover in this price bracket.
9) The Y is destined to be a HUGE hit in Europe where the Y is custom tailored to their market.
10) Aftermarket vendors are already drooling over it.

Here’s the way I intend to set mine up... Performance, black, white interior, tints, lowered, 21” wheels etc
(Click onto the image to enlarge)

View attachment 387941

A sleek, fast, great handling American made aero hatch, w/0-60 of 3.5 sec, seats 7, and a 300 mile range!!!... that’s amazing man!
I agree with the part about Europe. They should almost release it there first.

Reactions: RIP->OPEC