Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got their CA "purple" stickers yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume there were a ton of people that mailed their application for CA carpool stickers on January 2nd (me included). Just wondering if anyone received any purple ones from an early submission in December? I'm interested to see the turn around time and what they look like.

As I understand it, the RED ones last until 2022 and the new purple ones are good until 2023. I think that is why many people waited to apply in January to get the additional time.

And yes, purple is going to be an eye sore for sure.

The whole idea of plastering stickers around ones car just seems like something from the sixties. Why not a small transmitter. This transmitter could be used for both tolls and carpool lines.

Stickers are easy for the cops to see, and you don't have to go through the expense of put in transponder pingers and receivers to set up a HOV lane.

The whole reason for giving out stickers is to collect money for use of the HOV lanes, or attempting to use the HOV without being authorized. The minimum fine for a HOV usage violation is $490.

transmitters and transponders are relatively cheap. If the states agreed on a standard, the trans* equipment could be included in the car as an option or otherwise. No need to stick up ugly boxes on the windshield or stickers on the paint.

transmitters and transponders are relatively cheap. If the states agreed on a standard, the trans* equipment could be included in the car as an option or otherwise. No need to stick up ugly boxes on the windshield or stickers on the paint.

But, there is the expense. With a sticker the only thing they need to do is paint some diamonds on the lane and park the cops along the sides.

But, if they are going to go whole hog with the transponders than they can do the time based pricing for people wanting to buy access so that probably helps justifies the extra expense. I saw a $7.50 toll to get into the HOV lane for 10 miles the other day.

And I completely agree with standardizing these things. What does one do if they drive cross country and hit a bunch of different toll roads? Go in the cash line, if it exists? Seems like cars should come with with some sort of built in transponder setup and ways to set the number of people in the car. That would let them handle the different ways places charge (1 person rate, 2 person rate, 3+/EV rate, etc.)

I mailed my application and payment for purple stickers in early January. The check still hasn't been cashed and I haven't received anything. Does anyone know if there's a way to check on the progress of an application (or to even confirm DMV received it)?

I just received the purple ones on February 7th and I sent in the paperwork on January 2nd.

I do find it amusing and somewhat baffling that people are so upset over the sticker colors. I will agree that the cars would look better without them but let me point out a couple of things:

1. These cars are not stunningly beautiful to begin with. I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
2. This is "just a car" and probably something you are going to replace within 3 to 10 years.
3. If you drive it you will have a chip in the paint, a door ding or a windshield nick.
4. If the sticker allows me to get to a location or work and saves 30 or more minutes each way then I really don't care what color they make the sticker. If you would prefer to spend the time sitting in traffic then so be it, skip the sticker in the offensive color.
5. Are you as upset with the color of the license plates in California, maybe you should have the option of having them match your paint color.
5. Perhaps one should ask the DMV to issue special license plates to the owners of HOV lane access vehicles as is done in other countries?
So if not the current purple what color would you have preferred? Yellow, white, green, red?
RU_White.png
RU_White.jpg
RU_Green.gif

RU_Red.jpg
RU_Purple.jpg

Did any of those look good?

So I will also ponder if, when you look at your spouse, boyfriend or girlfriend are you just as aesthetically critical? I think you might plan on keeping them a little longer than your car.

• Disagree
Reactions: TapHabit
It's not the color of the sticker that bugs me. It's the whole idea of using a sticker that's so stupid. These HOV stickers are designed to expire and be replaced, but at the same time they make them impossible to remove to deter theft. They should have gone with special license plates.

It's not the color of the sticker that bugs me. It's the whole idea of using a sticker that's so stupid. These HOV stickers are designed to expire and be replaced, but at the same time they make them impossible to remove to deter theft. They should have gone with special license plates.

Agreed. Special license plates - maybe a different color to make things more obvious seem like a good solution. Make them only transferable to other HOV-capable cars. For the expiration, I guess it would require people to swap out their plates? I can imagine this would be be more of a headache for DMV, but owners would probably like it.

Reactions: gnumeric
Agreed. Special license plates - maybe a different color to make things more obvious seem like a good solution. Make them only transferable to other HOV-capable cars. For the expiration, I guess it would require people to swap out their plates? I can imagine this would be be more of a headache for DMV, but owners would probably like it.

I would have rather paid $100 for a special license plate that was good the duration of the sticker (with having to pay another $100 to get a regular plate when they expired) than paying $22 for this awful sticker.

For me, it IS the color. They want me to affix this PERMANENT lavender sticker to my blue car. White (or black) or some sort of neutral color would be better. Even better would be a spot on a license plate for them, or another way of denoting this. Im ok if it costs more, as in $22 sticker, or $100 license plate, as long as its not exorbitant. The new pilot digital plates with their monthly subscription, thats a big "no" from me.

Reactions: gnumeric
I think we all agree, it's horrendous no matter the color. It took me 3-4 months (leaving the stickers in glovebox) to really give in and put on the stickers after having sat in mad traffic in my M3 while knowing had I just put on the stickers I could be getting to where I needed to quicker.

If you finally decide to give in and install the purple stickers, let me help you save time and headache! HOV PPF Sticker - Full Set