Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone gotten sticker adhesive off of their shiny seat backs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
My daughter had a momentary lapse in judgement on the way back from a school field trip and planted a sticker on the back of the driver’s seat. When she realized, she immediately tried to peel it off, which was the worst thing to do because it left adhesive and robbed me of the ability to use a hair dryer and cautiously remove the sticker.

Here’s what I’m faced with - any ideas? I am hesitant to use Goof Off or similar solvents because I fear they’ll leave a cloudy haze on the shiny plastic seat back.

image.jpg

What about using some heavy duty packaging tape (not duct tape)? Press the tape over the residual adhesive and quickly pull the tape away and hopefully some of the adhesive will come off with the tape. If it works, repeat with fresh strips of tape until all the adhesive is gone.

Thanks for the ideas. As it turns out, I was just washing my car and tried some ONR (Optimum No Rinse) and a microfiber cloth with some elbow grease. It worked well.

View attachment 311965

For future reference, 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover works well:
3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, 1 Quart (US), 3M 08984, 60-4550-4586-8 | Hillas.com

Back when I worked on my cars a lot more, it was helpful in removing heavy duty adhesive that's often used to hold various things on the car body (ie, chin spoilers, side strakes, emblems, etc) and it works wonders even on stickers and price tags etc. It does a great job at breaking the glue bonds and doesn't require much elbow grease and is paint safe.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman