Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Guess How Many Pre-orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has racked up so far on the Model Y? It seemed Tesla was quick, even eager, to announce these same numbers after the Model 3 reveal.
Guess? Fewer in number, equal or greater in $. So at least 40% of the Model 3 as of now, my guess is these reservations will come more slowly but be more steady so that they will end up with >400,000 by middle of next year.

Reactions: Watts_Up
My guess would be somewhere between 25,000 and 50,000. The M3 reveal was a HUGE deal, nationwide - it was how I first became more than cursorily aware of Tesla, really. EVERYONE knew about it and everybody and their brother with a thousand bucks to spare went and plunked it down, in hopes of getting a $27,500 Tesla.

The MY not so much - I don't think non-superfans are even aware that orders are being taken, and with the higher reservation/order payment and much higher starting prices, plus the whole "reservations weren't exactly honored in order" from last time, my guess would be around 10% of the M3 number.

But what if there was a pocket of pent-up demand from Tesla-owner-wannabe families (with kids, there's tons of them) but for whom the Model X was simply out of reach?
I am a wannabe. I own two Honda CR-V's, so am addicted to the CUV class. I had and Equinox and uncounted minivans. Drove and LOVED the M3 last month, but I had heard of the Y reveal, so I waited. I watched the reveal and heard nothing I didn't expect, so I struck just after midnight on an order for an MY Performance Red with Autopilot. I never stood inline for an iPhone or anything else, but will for this. For $2500 was not a barrier, but I understand the point. Since I helped launch the GM EV1 over 20 years ago, I have been waiting for the EV for me.

I am a wannabe. I own two Honda CR-V's, so am addicted to the CUV class. I had and Equinox and uncounted minivans. Drove and LOVED the M3 last month, but I had heard of the Y reveal, so I waited. I watched the reveal and heard nothing I didn't expect, so I struck just after midnight on an order for an MY Performance Red with Autopilot. I never stood inline for an iPhone or anything else, but will for this. For $2500 was not a barrier, but I understand the point. Since I helped launch the GM EV1 over 20 years ago, I have been waiting for the EV for me.

I know someone who bought an original GM EV1 back then as well (only to have it forcibly returned after which GM mashed all those EV1’s in a junkyard crusher despite most loving their cars and wanting to continue driving them ... hmm, I wonder why?), are you into LED flashlights?

Has anyone else heard that reserving the Model Y before midnight tonight will allow you to save the 3% price increase that happens tomorrow. That is why I put the deposit down, even though there is not interest on the money, the savings of 3% is better than the interest you would get at a bank on $2,500.

Reactions: BULLSHARK
At least a fist full of pre-orders in Minnesota were made. It wasn't a line of 1200 people waiting in the rain at the store like the Model III. I think what's happened here is that there was absolutely no /wow/ factor, it was predictable, even down to how it would look. With that in mind, everyone has learned the Elon Time Calculation (ETC) and the early adopters, as have been stated above, already have their vehicle in hand, and this will definitely test Tesla's presumption that people will simply buy their vehicles online.

With the M3, the $35K pricing bait was the primary trigger for line waiters. With the MY, the M3 crowd has now been wise to Tesla's non-FIFO tactics and is not jumping in. I'd be surprised if order exceed 25,000. And if it did go towards 50,000 I'd say that there would be huge pent up demand. Tesla is not going to state pre-order numbers because of dismal reservations.

With the M3, the $35K pricing bait was the primary trigger for line waiters. With the MY, the M3 crowd has now been wise to Tesla's non-FIFO tactics and is not jumping in. I'd be surprised if order exceed 25,000. And if it did go towards 50,000 I'd say that there would be huge pent up demand. Tesla is not going to state pre-order numbers because of dismal reservations.
As of a tad past 3pm EDT, the number of Y pre-orders that have used the TMC spreadsheet are 45. My prediction, if they care, they will lower the reservation fee.