Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had a software downgrade with their HW3 retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I updated to 2020.8.1 a few days ago in my HW2.5 Model 3. Took it in today for FSD/HW3 retrofit, dropped off at 8am. Got a notification around 1:30 that software update was complete, then a text just before 3:30 that the car was finished. Yay! Good job Tesla!

Only downer is I'm now back on 2020.4.1. Big picture not a big deal, I'm sure I'll get another update soon enough, but I'm kinda bummed about losing Track Mode v2 as I'm planning to sign up for another track day the weekend of March 28. Hoping there's another update before then.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Wondering if this is normal practice.

Also, was looking forward to seeing the new visualizations. On my way home I had quite a few cones displayed where there are no cones, and didn't see a single stop sign or traffic light that I passed get rendered on the display. Thought that was weird too. Again, not significant, but I still thought it was weird. Didn't see any messages about cameras calibrating or anything....turned basic AP on briefly on my way home and it activated without a problem.

didn't see a single stop sign or traffic light that I passed get rendered on the display
You need to enable FSD Visualization Preview to see those.

When we got FSD computer retrofit, the software was updated to the same version, so Tesla is probably using the software update procedure to trigger a "full system diagnostic check." However it sounds like 2020.8 was causing problems for some vehicles including those getting a retrofit, so Tesla probably stopped the rollout of 2020.8 to prevent Service being blocked on completing retrofits.

I updated to 2020.8.1 a few days ago in my HW2.5 Model 3. Took it in today for FSD/HW3 retrofit, dropped off at 8am. Got a notification around 1:30 that software update was complete, then a text just before 3:30 that the car was finished. Yay! Good job Tesla!

Only downer is I'm now back on 2020.4.1. Big picture not a big deal, I'm sure I'll get another update soon enough, but I'm kinda bummed about losing Track Mode v2 as I'm planning to sign up for another track day the weekend of March 28. Hoping there's another update before then.

Anyone else have a similar experience? Wondering if this is normal practice.

Also, was looking forward to seeing the new visualizations. On my way home I had quite a few cones displayed where there are no cones, and didn't see a single stop sign or traffic light that I passed get rendered on the display. Thought that was weird too. Again, not significant, but I still thought it was weird. Didn't see any messages about cameras calibrating or anything....turned basic AP on briefly on my way home and it activated without a problem.

There was someone posting in another thread that, the car needed (meaning yours needs) to complete a nav map download in order to trigger the update again. I will see if I can find it...

If you recently had a HW2.5 -> FSD computer upgrade, the new computer likely had an older version of maps.
Happened to me last week. I used to have 2019.20 maps on HW2.5, then after the FSD upgrade, it showed 2019.6.
Service tech said I needed to complete the maps update back to 2019.20 before I could receive 2020.8.1, and he was right.

Here it is... its in a 8.1 software update thread....

Page 12 of the following thread, post 233

• Informative
Reactions: destructure00
Well all that 6 hours of worry was for naught I guess.

Screenshot_20200313-215424~2.png

Last edited: