Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had FWD phantom obstacle fixed by SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My driver's side FWD gets a red bar, phantom obstacle detected if it sits in the sun for more than 5-10 minutes. The SC is claiming that it's a design limitation and the doors just won't operate above a certain surface temperature.

Obviously, that's simply not true or thousands of people would be having the same issue. Had anyone had chronic FWD problems that has actually had this fixed? It happens to me multiple times a a week, sometimes multiple times per day.

I love my car, but I'm seriously considering starting a lemon claim. This will be the fourth visit for this issue, twice they claimed no trouble found until I showed them how to reproduce, finally they replaced the FWD sensor, but it was right as we went into fall and the problem only popped up once or twice during fall/winter. Now, in the peak of summer it's pretty much a daily occurrence.

Yep, I was the one who had this exact issue and just like you went through fall/summer before they could consistently reproduce it. I have started a thread about it before but most people don’t seem to have the issue or not as consistently bad as mine. It was a Midnight silver.

They’ve replaced the sensors numerous time, the tripod assembly etc., and the last resort replacing the whole falcon door. It only happened on driver side but it started showing up on passenger side during the buyback.

Long story short, Tesla ended up buying it back and I got a new one in pearl white. The new one is not without issues though!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kacey Green
Yep, I was the one who had this exact issue and just like you went through fall/summer before they could consistently reproduce it. I have started a thread about it before but most people don’t seem to have the issue or not as consistently bad as mine. It was a Midnight silver.

Long story short, Tesla ended up buying it back and I got a new one in pearl white. The new one is not without issues though!
Interesting, I'd read through a few of the threads about it. I saw a couple fixed with door replacements and sensor replacements. I guess I can insist they replace the sensor again. NC lemon law is 2yrs or 24k miles and I'm just over 22k at the moment. It was a demo with 7700 on it at the start, so not sure if lemon would take that into account.

I think I've had most of the standard MX problems, but still happy with the car overall. Mine's blue, so on the darker end of the spectrum.

My driver's side FWD gets a red bar, phantom obstacle detected if it sits in the sun for more than 5-10 minutes. The SC is claiming that it's a design limitation and the doors just won't operate above a certain surface temperature.

Obviously, that's simply not true or thousands of people would be having the same issue. Had anyone had chronic FWD problems that has actually had this fixed? It happens to me multiple times a a week, sometimes multiple times per day.

I love my car, but I'm seriously considering starting a lemon claim. This will be the fourth visit for this issue, twice they claimed no trouble found until I showed them how to reproduce, finally they replaced the FWD sensor, but it was right as we went into fall and the problem only popped up once or twice during fall/winter. Now, in the peak of summer it's pretty much a daily occurrence.

Call BS. I had the same issue, it was bad enough to enter into calibration mode on occasion. I had to take it in several times but ultimately my sensors have been repalced which 100% resolved the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kacey Green
So, as a followup, the SC added an oversized butyl patch to the driver's side FWD to help disperse the heat at the sensor and so far, I've had no phantom obstacles.

Before 5 minutes in the sun was enough to trigger it and I've gone hours now without a problem. We'll see if it's a lasting fix.
Do the sensors still function correctly? Ie still detect obstacles when there are obstacles?

I think at one point they screwed with my sensors so that while the sensors didn’t detect obstacles under the sun, it didn’t even detect me standing right next to the door.

Do the sensors still function correctly? Ie still detect obstacles when there are obstacles?

I think at one point they screwed with my sensors so that while the sensors didn’t detect obstacles under the sun, it didn’t even detect me standing right next to the door.
Yes, I park in a fairly tight garage with the wall on the driver's side and it's working properly.

Mine is a black Raven MX that I just got a week and half ago and I have the same issue. My driver side FWD sees ghost obstacles when there is nothing (sometimes even with a red symbol like I'm about to hit something). It's pretty hot here at the moment but still the passenger FWD doesn't exhibit any issue at all so I doubt it's related to heat. Also it happens even when I just get out of my garage in the morning on the driveway and it's not hot at all. I tried reset, hard and soft, cleaned the door and so forth, same issue.

It's pretty annoying that I already have to go to a SC and wait a week to get the first available appointment. Not even two weeks of ownership. Don't take me wrong I love the car, I wish it would be more efficient and reliable.