Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had M3P brake discs replaced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CE06B3C5-F119-40A3-875F-96930716522B.jpeg
3C100392-2936-4561-AB17-ECB1D60722D9.jpeg
my discs look as though they aren’t wearing evenly and wondering what chance I’ve got of getting them replaced under warranty.

Yeah give ‘em a smashing every 500 miles or so. They need using.

Used to spend some time at TRL’s proving/test track watching Touring Cars bed in their brakes. No mercy shown to brand new Brembos from 140mph. Mmmmmmmm smell the heat.

• Funny
Reactions: Roy W.
Yeah give ‘em a smashing every 500 miles or so. They need using.

Used to spend some time at TRL’s proving/test track watching Touring Cars bed in their brakes. No mercy shown to brand new Brembos from 140mph. Mmmmmmmm smell the heat.

Yep, I read a long article a few years ago basically saying that new brakes need some real hard use from the get go to put a layer on the disks and pads which increases their stopping power - goes against what I learnt in my early days about letting them 'bed in', but makes sense.

Yep, I read a long article a few years ago basically saying that new brakes need some real hard use from the get go to put a layer on the disks and pads which increases their stopping power - goes against what I learnt in my early days about letting them 'bed in', but makes sense.

Bedding is a multi-stage process with brand new pads.
First you want to brake fairly gently without heating them up too much to ensure the pad surfaces are fully in contact with the disc surfaces.

Then you want to get that transfer of pad material onto the disc by harder applications as it's the friction between that layer and the pad which gives you the 'bite'.
If you are using more extreme pads such as those used on track, there's a further curing process which is often needed and that means heating them until they are literally smoking hot.
In all cases, it's really important to have a cooling down period after getting heat into the pads & discs by driving for several minutes without using the brakes at all. Luckily that bit is easy in a Tesla :)

The majority of drivers on the road don't brake hard unless there's an emergency and that goes for all types of car not just EVs. So the pads may never even finish that first stage of bedding. Then rust and corrosion gets to the areas of disc which are bare metal and the problem gets worse and worse.

View attachment 577508 View attachment 577509 my discs look as though they aren’t wearing evenly and wondering what chance I’ve got of getting them replaced under warranty.
The Tesla mechanic advised me to drive the car without Brake regen at least once a month. In his experience it tends to eliminate brake squealing. I have done 7K in my 3 and brakes are fine so far

I had this issue in an ice car, so none regen. I do a lot of motorway miles so hardly ever used the brakes. I got seven wear and terrible squeaks. The service centre told me exactly above, as @Electric Dream says, use an Italian brake tune method. It works, plus, provided no one is being you, it's fun to slam on the breaks every once in a while. Feel the reverse force form the epic acceleration you're used to.

C9748C37-53E7-4043-8557-091C6B72A3F1.jpeg
0817E3C9-3B95-4A83-9C31-403E9A6A5D58.jpeg
TThanks for the reply’s.
My model S never suffered anything like my 3 even after 2 years.
Here’s some photos of my wife’s MG zs ev with the same 3000 mile range.
Her car hasn’t been driven for a couple of days and the discs are usually very shiny.

I have just been told that I need new discs and pads. MP3, through lack of use, so no warranty. This is a real issue for Tesla’s. £1500 for the replacement. I did apply the proposed solution of switch of regen. and drive using the breaks every so often but that just did not work for me. Very disappointed.