Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had M3P brake discs replaced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I consider it a design fault if a car requires a person to drive as a boy racer to stop the breaks getting damaged, the problem should be design out by changing the software to use the breaks rather then regen when required to prevent break damage.
I agree. I actually think Tesla did not consider sufficiently the issues caused by regen effectively eliminating the use of brakes but that you really need them to stop occasionally.

The argument that the OP’s issue is not covered under warranty seems to be flawed as he was operating the vehicle (in respect of braking) in accordance with the manual. The hard braking directed by the manual was to cure noise issues so is not relevant.

The cause of the issue is not a lack of driving or lack of braking, but rather the strong regen braking provided by the car. Causation is clear; I’d challenge what you are being told.

Reactions: ringi
This thread prompted me to look at the disks on my M3 LR AWD. After 23000 miles and only very occasional use of heavy braking the disk surfaces are like mirrors. Perfectly smooth and shiny. Is this a problem restricted to the uprated brakes on the M3P? If so I’d say it should be a warranty issue.

Reactions: GRiLLA
They could solve this very easily by using the same technology as Porsche Surface Coated Brakes, they don’t pick up any corrosion and always look brand new whether you use them or not, the downside is there is only about 0.5mm of wear allowed on the disks but they are that hard it takes a while even on a Cayenne Turbo and with out minimal brake use they should last forever.

ultimately it’s just a tungsten carbide surface layer thermo sprayed onto the disk, probably patented but is the reason Taycans don’t suffer this same issue

This thread prompted me to look at the disks on my M3 LR AWD. After 23000 miles and only very occasional use of heavy braking the disk surfaces are like mirrors. Perfectly smooth and shiny. Is this a problem restricted to the uprated brakes on the M3P? If so I’d say it should be a warranty issue.

Perhaps it depends on locality and the nature of driving ... my discs (SR+) are certainly not like mirrors and I do make a point of actively doing some firm braking every so often. However, we live on a road that is heavily salted throughout the winter months... not just occasionally ... every day. I suspect on less salted roads and a driving environment that regularly requires even some light use of the brakes that there's a better chance of keeping the discs in better condition.

Sorry to hear that.

That cost from tesla will mainly be labour (Plus their mark up). So if you are a dab hand at DIY and are not afraid to have a go, you could get the bits yourself and replace them.

Top of my head (Guessing here),
Vented disks (Generic not branded) could cost around £60? each (£240 total) assuming rears are similar
Pads for a perfomance (Again generic not branded) say £50? per set (£200 total)

Tools needed (but not limited too):

Slim jack
Pucks
Wheel blocks
Torque rench
Hammer
Thin thing for pins
Socket set
Alum/Silicon grease (Lub up pins and pads etc)
Wire brush (Clean pins etc)
Kettle
tea bags
(Not sure what else)

Or try a local garage that would replace them for you at a cheaper cost. They might even be able to grind/sand them to freshen them up as they have not been used much.

Disclaimer: Im not a Mechanic but a professional competent person. Do it at your own risk.
Ceramic grease (might be same as Aluminium grease). Don't forget plasters (bandaid) or is that just me?

Reactions: davidmc
They could solve this very easily by using the same technology as Porsche Surface Coated Brakes, they don’t pick up any corrosion and always look brand new whether you use them or not, the downside is there is only about 0.5mm of wear allowed on the disks but they are that hard it takes a while even on a Cayenne Turbo and with out minimal brake use they should last forever.

ultimately it’s just a tungsten carbide surface layer thermo sprayed onto the disk, probably patented but is the reason Taycans don’t suffer this same issue
The Model Y Performance apparently has coated discs of some sort. Maybe the 3's discs will be revised at some point. There will always be a point on any trip I make where I need to brake quite hard. Maybe that's why my discs are absolutely fine. ;)

It depends if it is one of the thousand options you need to select. The standard models don't have this and there are complaints of disc corrosion on the Taycan forums. The software on the vehicle limits regen when you first set out on a journey so the mechanical brakes are used but that doesn't seem to be enough to stop corrosion happening to all.

I’d like to make an observation here. This problem seems almost entirely M3 Performance related. My M3P is also showing bad signs of corroded disks at 18k miles, and I do make sure I use them regularly.

Look at the Model S - I don’t think you’ll find any showing this issue, and they also have regen braking. In my view it’s a design issue related to the M3P pads and callipers.

I’d like to make an observation here. This problem seems almost entirely M3 Performance related. My M3P is also showing bad signs of corroded disks at 18k miles, and I do make sure I use them regularly.

I think it's an EV issue. Last time I was at our local garage there was a BMW i3 with horrendous brake condition. I definitely struggle to keep my SR+ discs anywhere near half decent.

It depends if it is one of the thousand options you need to select. The standard models don't have this and there are complaints of disc corrosion on the Taycan forums. The software on the vehicle limits regen when you first set out on a journey so the mechanical brakes are used but that doesn't seem to be enough to stop corrosion happening to all.
Oh yes, everything’s an option!! Have only ever experienced them on my old bosses Cayenne Turbo, but a Taycan I saw in the showroom had them too, as did the Taycan at goodwood. At least it’s available and it will solve the lack of usage problem, usually cost about £3k so expensive for good looks as you will rarely need the functional benefits.

So here are my MP3 20,000 Mile disks and pads which I had to have replaced. I asked for them from the service centre who were happy to set them aside for me. What does everyone think ? I’m going to leave regen off for a while with my new set. The “use them but don’t use them too much” advice I find pretty irritating.

Attachments

• 0797C623-9974-4B47-8474-166FF576E20C.jpeg
    0797C623-9974-4B47-8474-166FF576E20C.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 90
  • ECD3AE36-C248-4646-B522-D8608AB2AF56.jpeg
    ECD3AE36-C248-4646-B522-D8608AB2AF56.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 69
  • D6F005EB-466D-4F44-971F-1A3C1A635870.jpeg
    D6F005EB-466D-4F44-971F-1A3C1A635870.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • E1BB8B42-D8E5-4351-B5C1-B773CD186AD5.jpeg
    E1BB8B42-D8E5-4351-B5C1-B773CD186AD5.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 0347BEC5-F3BE-47A0-990C-251FB153FEA1.jpeg
    0347BEC5-F3BE-47A0-990C-251FB153FEA1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • 578FCAFE-13DA-466D-B557-5D3DBA0087F8.jpeg
    578FCAFE-13DA-466D-B557-5D3DBA0087F8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • Informative
Reactions: Cossa
So here are my MP3 20,000 Mile disks and pads which I had to have replaced. I asked for them from the service centre who were happy to set them aside for me. What does everyone think ? I’m going to leave regen off for a while with my new set. The “use them but don’t use them too much” advice I find pretty irritating.
Can you have regen completely off on the Performance?