Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had M3P brake discs replaced?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here are my MP3 20,000 Mile disks and pads which I had to have replaced. I asked for them from the service centre who were happy to set them aside for me. What does everyone think ? I’m going to leave regen off for a while with my new set. The “use them but don’t use them too much” advice I find pretty irritating.
How close to the sea do you live?

I miss having silver discs to be honest. Large discs on a car, particularly grooved/vented ones look pretty cool.

On the flip side, I don't think I've ever needed to actually wash my wheels properly. There's never any noticeable brake dust on them. The only time I actually use the brakes is arbitrarily, putting the car in neutral as I coast down a local hill, trying to scrub off the surface corrosion or whatever it is from lack of use.

I don't miss having to get discs and pads regularly too, although maybe I will be in the same boat as @bjbrown. For what it's worth a previous Porsche Cayman had to have 4 new brake discs after 18k miles, but it lived fairly close to the sea.

20 Miles away. You thinking its the salt air ? Might be all the salt on our wintery roads (Aberdeenshire).
Yes, absolutely. I bought a car once which had spent a few years with an owner in Aberdeen. When I looked underneath, it had the worse corrosion I've ever seen on any car. It was pretty much rust held together with a few bits of metal. Couldn't get any bolts undone. Had to scrap it in the end.

Reactions: hcdavis3
So here are my MP3 20,000 Mile disks and pads which I had to have replaced. I asked for them from the service centre who were happy to set them aside for me. What does everyone think ? I’m going to leave regen off for a while with my new set. The “use them but don’t use them too much” advice I find pretty irritating.
It doesn't help living the North East. I just did my brake service and found a warped disc. Hopefully this can be claimed under warranty.

Attachments

• 20220410_114552.jpg
    20220410_114552.jpg
    735.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 20220410_114600.jpg
    20220410_114600.jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 56
It doesn't help living the North East. I just did my brake service and found a warped disc. Hopefully this can be claimed under warranty.
I would doubt it. That's corrosion built up over time. The disc won't be warped either. It will be pad deposits causing a high spot on the disc.
How often do you drive the car and how long does it sit outside parked up in between drives?
You're also fairly close to the sea so I'm sure corrosion will be more of an issue there.
Do you ever try and clean up the discs with some heavy braking?

The corrosion you see is the low point.. from this side... there's about a 1mm low point there in the disc at that point. I've measured it with a punch against the caliper. Yes I tend to have reduced regen all winter and clean the discs with moderate heavy braking..I've had thus for most if the winter, I actually thought it was a piece of rust on the edge if the rotors, but surprised to find this.

The corrosion you see is the low point.. from this side... there's about a 1mm low point there in the disc at that point. I've measured it with a punch against the caliper. Yes I tend to have reduced regen all winter and clean the discs with moderate heavy braking..I've had thus for most if the winter, I actually thought it was a piece of rust on the edge if the rotors, but surprised to find this.
You need to use heavy heavy braking rather than moderate heavy braking and examine the state of your discs regularly.

I haven't looked too much into it yet, but when I do need to change my brake pads I'm going to be looking at pads specifically designed for EVs:

Made from different materials designed for cars that don't use their brakes so much:

View attachment 693000

NRS has been advertising those hooks for almost 20 years.