Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had the roof tinted?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We wanted something removable so we went with the Tesmanian mesh sunshield. It blocks a lot of heat and is still translucent. Going up to 104 for the next few days. It can be removed and folded up to fit in its tote bag. Allows star gazing later when it’s cooler.

Attachments

• 0CDDAF9D-7A3A-44C0-8297-BC53056FFBBA.jpeg
    0CDDAF9D-7A3A-44C0-8297-BC53056FFBBA.jpeg
    631.4 KB · Views: 169
  • 5CE655EC-23B8-42CF-B422-6C085A162C63.jpeg
    5CE655EC-23B8-42CF-B422-6C085A162C63.jpeg
    745.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 0A51B188-EB0B-42E3-9CD0-B618FA6EF009.jpeg
    0A51B188-EB0B-42E3-9CD0-B618FA6EF009.jpeg
    397.6 KB · Views: 141
  • Informative
Reactions: IROAR and 5280mcs
We had our Model Y tinted yesterday - solar clear tint on front windshield and dark tint on top and rear and then all passenger windows. The cabin seems cooler but - it is only 93 outside and it is still too hot to touch the roof glass with your hands. We will PROBABLY put the mesh screen back in addition to the tinting.

The biggest problem now is backing up at night - the rear view mirror is useless because you cannot see anything out of it.

We also did PPF film on the front of the car as well - hopefully it will save the paint.

Roof tint is really a waste of money.
it may help a tad but the roof heat blocking is already substantial
I see this video and definitive-sounding conclusion pop up in nearly every thread about roof tint. And yes, as an engineer I'd love to believe in the meter data as presented. However, I got the roof tinted fairly dark with 3M Crystalline, along with various tints on the side and rear glass, and there's no question in my mind that I feel much less heat from our strong sun radiation.

I do have a roof shade that I used in the weeks before I got the tint, but now I feel very little need for it as the tint is keeping me from feeling the radiant heat on my head, like I did when I first got the car. We're not yet into the hottest temps of June, but it was around 105 degrees today and still no discomfort from the roof - it was far more noticeable when I got the car in early November despite the lower temps at that time.

For me, the only remaining question is whether to get something on the windshield. That is now the greatest source of radiant heat. I want to have minimal loss of transmission for the sake of night driving, but I've seen a number of less-than-positive reviews regarding the 3M 90% Crystalline product. A friend has a model 3 with 80% Llumar film on the windshield. I rode in it for afternoon and evening drives recently and it seems acceptable; with almost no rainbow effect using polarized sunglasses.

I originally only had the doors and back window tinted. After a road trip in the summer to Los Angeles from Bay Area, immediately made an appointment to get the windshield and roof tinted. The AC is pretty weak in the car.

I go to Fresno (basically a desert) a lot, so it's worth it for me. The car will eventually heat soak if it's outside long enough though, but your AC shouldn't be working as hard to keep the car cool.

Reactions: Y_tho
Did my roof, all windows, and windshield with Solar gard Vortex IR. Totally worth it and would do it again.

I still have a sunshade for the front windshield since it’s 70% but is a big difference with it on vs without. Roof is the same I’m not burning my scalp on 80+ deg days

Reactions: Y_tho
Roof tint is really a waste of money.
it may help a tad but the roof heat blocking is already substantial
Just because someone makes a claim on a video doesn't make it a waste of money. I tinted my roof (and windows) last summer, after feeling the sun blasting through during a trip to South Carolina. The roof glass was brutally hot, as was my seatback, along with the door trim at the base of the side window. Since tinting, I've driven in similar conditions (a few hotter than the SC trip). Significant heat reduction and the car is much more comfortable to drive in, during bright-sun, hot weather.

For me, totally worth it, and not a waste of money at all. Now: maybe it's a waste of money when purchasing lower-end film that doesn't cut as much UV? I went with XPEL Prime XR+, which has worked really well.

Just because someone makes a claim on a video doesn't make it a waste of money. I tinted my roof (and windows) last summer, after feeling the sun blasting through during a trip to South Carolina. The roof glass was brutally hot, as was my seatback, along with the door trim at the base of the side window. Since tinting, I've driven in similar conditions (a few hotter than the SC trip). Significant heat reduction and the car is much more comfortable to drive in, during bright-sun, hot weather.

For me, totally worth it, and not a waste of money at all. Now: maybe it's a waste of money when purchasing lower-end film that doesn't cut as much UV? I went with XPEL Prime XR+, which has worked really well.
“Makes a claim” 🤣he’s literally proving the difference lol. It’s not a claim. It’s a fact using a heat sensor. The side windows and trunk are the biggest things to get tinted. Then the front windshield is left as the biggest heat point not the roof. Would adding tint “make a difference” maybe but not for the cost compared to tinting the other windows that don’t have any heat/ir resistance.

I see this video and definitive-sounding conclusion pop up in nearly every thread about roof tint. And yes, as an engineer I'd love to believe in the meter data as presented. However, I got the roof tinted fairly dark with 3M Crystalline, along with various tints on the side and rear glass, and there's no question in my mind that I feel much less heat from our strong sun radiation.

I do have a roof shade that I used in the weeks before I got the tint, but now I feel very little need for it as the tint is keeping me from feeling the radiant heat on my head, like I did when I first got the car. We're not yet into the hottest temps of June, but it was around 105 degrees today and still no discomfort from the roof - it was far more noticeable when I got the car in early November despite the lower temps at that time.

For me, the only remaining question is whether to get something on the windshield. That is now the greatest source of radiant heat. I want to have minimal loss of transmission for the sake of night driving, but I've seen a number of less-than-positive reviews regarding the 3M 90% Crystalline product. A friend has a model 3 with 80% Llumar film on the windshield. I rode in it for afternoon and evening drives recently and it seems acceptable; with almost no rainbow effect using polarized sunglasses.
I've posted this before but there are two mechanisms at play here. The first is transmission of IR radiation, the second is absorption vs reflection. The meter in the video clearly shows that there is very little IR radiation transmitted through the glass. If the radiation is absorbed, however then the glass itself will heat up and serve as a radiator. You can verify this by simply touching the glass on a sunny day- it will be quite hot to the touch. I use a sun shade precisely for this reason. It essentially puts an air gap that serves to insulate and reduce radiant heat transmission. (not the same process occurs in the winter, just in reverse)

The glass sunroof makes for a nice open cabin but is really bad for heating and cooling.

Reactions: JHCCAZ and Sideman7

Glass that passes light in the visible spectrum cuts out almost all UV light extremely effectively, any extra UV reduction by film is superfluous. I measured zero with a UV meter through the roof glass.