Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had their Model 3 trunk wiring harness replaced successfully yet through the recall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• Tesla Boot Harness.jpg
    Tesla Boot Harness.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 155
  • Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: KennethS and Durzel
Has anyone who has an aftermarket boot lifter got this done? By that I mean have you managed to get the preventative maintenance (the plastic support, I think) installed?

I opened a service request to get mine looked at because I’ve got an automatic boot and knowing that Tesla can’t or won’t replace the whole harness (and therefore fix a non-functional camera or boot switch) because of it - I want to make sure that mine is protected before it goes wrong. The impression I’m given is that Tesla are waiting for these to fail and for customers to get in touch before they respond.

The reason I ask is that I’ve had an estimate come through that mentions both a replacement of the harness (which I guess they can’t do) and some sort of retrofit - which I think is the plastic stress relief support thing.

Curious to know other people’s experiences with this recall when they’ve got a non-Tesla auto boot lifter.

Just thought I’d update this.

A ranger visited (2 actually) and as expected couldn’t fit the new harness due to the aftermarket boot lifter. Rather they probably could’ve fitted it, and had I not told them about it would’ve probably done so, but would’ve disabled stuff if they had.

They also couldn’t fit the plastic support piece that is a substitute for the recall, as the extra wiring for the aftermarket boot makes the tubing too thick.

The good news is that they said the extra wiring inside of it is probably doing just as effective a job at protecting against bends, and that upon inspecting the wiring on my car it wasn’t one of the ones that needed the replacement harness anyway. They did leave it with me anyway since it was allocated to the job.

Mobile Service installed the band-aid fix (for now, as step 1) and asked me to monitor.

Will do the harness replacement (as step 2) if the rear-view camera blackouts, flickering persists or gets worse.

Attachments

• 20221102_161707.jpg
    20221102_161707.jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 103
Mine went in yesterday for a draughty window and the recall was added by the SC
the harness hasn’t caused any problems.
It wasn’t replaced but they added a support to stop it breaking
in the photo it’s a rubber support on the left of the harnessView attachment 908294.
Yes different cars require different levels of attention I believe. Mine got that bit but also had a section of harness replaced ... which required removing the boot lid trim and also some significant lining in the back of the car to attach the necessary cabling ... all this despite the fact that I hadn't actually experienced any of the faults associated with the recall. Some more recent cars already have an uprated harness (apparently) and just need the bit that provides the reinforcement protection around the boot hinge. A tech drove two and a half hours from Newcastle SC to do the job at the house even though we are just over an hour from the Edinburgh SC.

Reactions: Dilly
They came out to do mine but couldn't do anything including fitting that support (no room) because I've got an auto boot lifter module installed, so there is another cable that runs up that harness. They looked at it and said that the aftermarket wiring was probably protecting the OEM stuff. They ended up just leaving the replacement harness in the boot.

If I was savvy enough I'd replace it myself and then re-run the auto boot cabling, but I'm not, so *shrug*

• Funny
Reactions: Dilly
I had the recall notice a year ago and as the car has never been into a service centre so far Ive heard nothing from them - though there is still a note on the app that says i will be contacted in due course. No faults or issues though.
I did have a ranger out to the rear spoiler peeling away and a new one fitted - and i did ask about it, he told me Tesla await a fault report and there wont be any call up or visit for the job to be done.

I also have the aftermarket powered boot lifter and I'm pretty sure the extra cables that I pushed through the trunking make the trunking a little less prone to bend sharply but if i was supplied with the rubber support I would fit it myself.
I'm not the slightest bit bothered to be honest because if I get the fault I will repair it myself by getting the cables out and with a of bit of solder and shrink film it'll be repaired in no time