Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had their Model S on track at Mosport or Calabogie?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice to meet you as well Doug. Congratulations on finishing, I know in the early going those are the victories we all seek (our newer car is still on the hoist after blowing up at Mosport, hopefully we'll have both out at St-Eustache).

If you guys have any questions, let us know. I know the other Neon team (Sennasational) has come to us for lots of advice, unfortunately little follow through, each of their issues they had on the weekend would have been prevented with follow through on our recommendations.

Also, here is a link the checklist we go through before each race weekend (obviously some stuff doesn't apply):
http://www.joesracing.com/kb/admin/attachments/joes_car_prep_checklist.pdf

P.S. I was bummed I didn't get to bring my P85D up to the track, would have liked to lap it on Friday night, but our normal tow vehicle was in the shop so we ended up using my Excursion.

Thanks for the checklist. We've already taken your team's advice to heart, such as treating wheel bearings as a wear item (the LF bearing blew on me in corner 10 last year). We'll replace them again before the next race. Aside from running a little hot, we had weird one-off things happen this time - muffler fell apart, bolts on the alternator worked loose and fell out, that kind of thing. We also learned that it's all very fine to have a spare battery, but you might want to make sure the terminals are compatible. :redface: We also had two minor collisions (one was during my stint); despite the dire warnings they did judge the incidents minor and accidental, so no one got penalized.

We're tempted to go to the 2.4L engine. The 2.2 has been pretty reliable, but we're totally outclassed on the straights.

I would have loved to ride along in your P85D, very interested to see how it would do on the track compared to the P85. As you saw I had mine there for the weekend, and made use of the charger. Unfortunately I had my C6 there on Friday because I was doing driver training during the day. My novice student had the exact same car so I blew his socks off with a hot lap. Really helps "set the hook" as it were. He's definitely coming back.

LOL it turns out we ran both races with a bent valve. Apparently the engine had been over-revved during the test run Friday evening. We had the fastest 3-cylinder car on the track! No wonder people were blowing by us on the straights. Also explains the overheating and other weirdness.

Some day we'll be able to do this with EVs...

Congrats on another win! Laguna Seca is a great track but you gotta love the dust... it's bad enough when you've got grass. But holy crap what a dangerously boneheaded move! Massively poor judgement... I hope they boot him for the season or something.

I squeaked out a third place finish in the Calabogie GT Challenge race yesterday - was an awesome race. Tires were kinda done by the end though, so didn't do so well today. Plus today's second race never happened because of an incident while we were gridding up. A brand-new GT-R (its 2nd race) spun in 14, went over the guard rail (just missing the marshal) then down a small cliff into the forest, landing upside down. Guy wasn't hurt but they'll have to bring in a crane to retrieve the car(cass).