Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had to recharge the aircon yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

My Dec 2019 M3 doesn’t seem as fast to cool. Used to be instant - now it seems hard to encourage to get going on Auto. I seem to have to set the temp lower too. Does it in the end ultimately.

I was thinking “another SW update stuff-up’ - but it might be a more conventional recharge is needed.

Anyone found they’ve had to do it yet? I thought it was only 10% p.a normally lost.

The the main reason car AC leaks and needs re-gassing is because the compressor runs from a pulley wheel on the auxiliary drive belt so there is always a leak path on the rotating shaft which are notoriously hard to seal. A fridge on the other hand has the whole motor and compressor sealed in a single unit so there is no leak path hence why you don't re-gas your fridge every couple of years
I imagine an EV ac runs like a fridge with the whole compressor and motor sealed in a single unit so there should be no need for regular re-gassing. I am not saying you are wrong but if yours does need re-gassing it would be more indicative of a fault than routine.

Thanks guys - if anyone else needs the links - here is the Tesla how-to for the DIY filter replacement:

...and the parts (you need x2 @ £15 each):

Anyone who has done it: I'm guessing they haven't flipped it - and in the UK the access is on the driver's side? Do you still have that second panel with the light and speaker clips to remove access the screw? Obvs I should get off my butt and check - but it's dark right now.

I'll try and use an iPhone spudger as a pry-tool for that first panel.

I saw some chap on YouTube talking about a third party Amazon kit with a pry-tool - UK reviews of such kits indicate "ropey" even if they have 70% 5*'s overall - so swerving.

Guys,

My Dec 2019 M3 doesn’t seem as fast to cool. Used to be instant - now it seems hard to encourage to get going on Auto. I seem to have to set the temp lower too. Does it in the end ultimately.

I was thinking “another SW update stuff-up’ - but it might be a more conventional recharge is needed.

Anyone found they’ve had to do it yet? I thought it was only 10% p.a normally lost.
Out of interest how many miles have you done?

Might help some: A few hot days ago there was a clicking noise whilst it was running post drive. Feeling a Ranger visit pending - I thought I would open the bonnet, pop the plastic cover (the one with the US fireman’s helmet label sticking out from under/surrounding the washer fluid hatch) - and see if I could find the bit of cardboard in the spokes.

There was an air intake - and looking down inside - the surface area half-blocked with leaves + plus what I think was the clicker-leaf stuck in the drain hole. Pulling them out got rid of the noise and, I might be imagining it, but I think the aircon is now loulder/faster/cooler.

A d’oh moment and an easy fix.

I changed my cabin filters simply cos after three years it was about time. didn't notice a huge improvement in AC performance but I can tell you that it's a fairly simple job to do. Takes about 15-20 mins. and a pry tool is highly recommended.

Reactions: M3noob