Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had to replace a refresh tire yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a piece of concrete pierce my tire. (21in PS4s) Went to discount tire. They replaced the tire with a Pilot Sport 4S, but it is visually different than the other three tires. The Plaid comes with tires with a Laser etched long racing flag. The one they put on there is a basic, not fancy looking one.

Discount Tire says they have no record of a different tire for the new models S in their system. Anyone have an guidance? They seem to think that the only way of getting the proper matching tire is to buy it directly from Tesla. That seems incredibly dumb if that's the case.

So, has anyone had to replace a 21in refresh model S tire yet? If so, did you get it from a non-tesla retailer? Any idea what to tell Discount Tire so that they can order the correct tire for my car?

thx

Sometime manufactures have special tires branded differently for their own vehicles. I'm guessing that is the case with the Plaid/Refresh Model S which is why Discount Tire doesn't have it in their DB at this time (the tires may be exclusive to Tesla service center at this time).

I would submit a Roadside Ticket and see if they offer mobile tire replacement (they do in the Bay Area), and if so, find out what Tesla's price is for a new tire if you want all of them to match perfectly. I've only used Roadside Mobile Tire Replacement when I've needed tires on both my Model S and Model X as I prefer the convince of them coming to my house and replacing and balancing the tires right in my driveway all the way up to 8pm.

I got a screw in my sidewall 2 weeks after getting the car. I could not find any local tire place that could get me a tire. Ended up going to Tesla ($350) and even they took a few days to get the tire in stock.
Got ya beat! We got a screw in the tread of one tire on the way home from the Tesla store after picking up our new S LR!! Neither my wife nor I could remember having a flat in the last 30 years. And, of course it couldn't be repaired. They had the tire the next day.
We went to a local dealer with an excellent long term reputation and they replaced it with the exact same tire but ours is a LR, not a Plaid and not a 21" so I'm not sure how relevant our experience is. Our tires do have the M.S label.

I've had 4 nail/screw punctures since new. (38k miles). The leaks were slow and identified by watching pressure slowly go down over days. Tesla repaired the first for $50. They would not patch the same tire a second time, but the tech told me he personally uses plugs with no problem. Punctures 2-4 I plugged myself on the car and have had no problems. This seems to be an acceptable practice for non-racing vehicles.