Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone had water ingress via door handle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You seem to be having quite a few problems with your car. I wonder if you just got a lemon?

Heh, yeah I don't know if folks are just being quiet about problems in here, or if these are "well-known" issues that I'm not aware of or what ...

My tech is coming out this Friday and we'll have a long chat :)

Heh, yeah I don't know if folks are just being quiet about problems in here, or if these are "well-known" issues that I'm not aware of or what ...

Mine's over a year old; no troubles at all, other than small amounts of water in the corners of the soft top in heavy rain.

But I do know that there is a new local owner that has had a number of issues already.

Maybe some get put together faster than others? I dunno.

Edit: Can't seem to embed that URL ...
IMG_0442.JPG

...maybe this is because you are the first Tesla owner to park his vehicle exposed to the weather...

LOL
Mine is in a garage at night, but out in the weather all day when I'm at work (for the 14 months I've had it). No water issues for me. That's a lot of water and very odd if it came through the handle and not between the window and top; hopefully Tesla can figure it out quickly.

If the water is coming through the interior door handle, it's probably due to damage to the plastic seal behind the door card.
All cars have this plastic barrier that they stick over the door frame with this horrible always stays sticky goop, before mounting the interior trim.
As the handle needs to go through this barrier to activate the lock on the outside there needs to be a hole of some sort or if you have had some work done in the door previously they may have damaged it or not replaced it correctly.

I'll post a bigger summary but for this particular problem, there was no obvious issue. We even simulated rain with my garden hose :) He's never heard of the problem before, could be a fluke who knows. He did patch up an area with some goo (technical term) just in case that was it but nothing obvious. He took the panel to the door off and checked all the seals etc etc (I've got a pic or two coming soon).

So we've had our first big rain of the winter here in NorCal and I too experienced the water via door handle on the passenger side. Upon closer inspection I think what is happening is water is getting in around the top-front corner of the window, running down the inside of the window along the A pillar, into the door, and out through the handle.

Cinergi, when are you scheduled to go to NY?

We thought that might be how it was getting in, but couldn't necessarily figure it out (easier to do with the door disassembled). Interesting to know you've seen that now, too. This was the first my tech had heard of water getting in this way ...

It's not scheduled to go in yet -- I'm waiting for our first big snow storm to send it down since it'll be shipped down and back which means I'd be without the car for a week so I might as well do it when it's going to be ugly out.