Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone has 2019.20.4?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Connected to WiFi since delivery date
Should update sometime this week.
Check your WiFi connection. I swear by it. My router is sometimes problematic and I have to reconnect my devices. Here’s a video.

Also, I’ve heard people mention that the guest WiFi at Tesla service centers gets you speedy updates. Might be worth your while if you have one close by and you have time to kill. There’s free coffee :)

Reactions: kdphan
One hidden little bug fix they snuck in is in the USB audio system - in folder view, tracks are now arranged by track number, instead of by the track names in the tags alphabetically as they used to be. So the tracks play in the correct order now! They may have snuck this in the last update, I hadn't checked the last one. But I've been bugging tesla to fix this for a year now, and it finally is fixed - yay! I know I know, there's like 6 of us that this that will appreciate this, but there you go.

Reactions: pilotSteve
One hidden little bug fix they snuck in is in the USB audio system - in folder view, tracks are now arranged by track number, instead of by the track names in the tags alphabetically as they used to be. So the tracks play in the correct order now! They may have snuck this in the last update, I hadn't checked the last one. But I've been bugging tesla to fix this for a year now, and it finally is fixed - yay! I know I know, there's like 6 of us that this that will appreciate this, but there you go.

There are definitely more than 6 people asking Tesla to fix the USB media player, considering the USB media player bugs/issues is one of the longest running threads on the Model S forum at nearly 100 pages long :(

I really wish they would fix the media player so that it resumes music playback reliably, stops needlessly scnaning the media USB driver most times I get in the car and offers playlist support.

Comprehensive USB Bug List

• Informative
Reactions: RobbL
Just got the update. Played beach buggy for a little bit, which was really cool. However, I checked to see if the tires move with the steering wheel, and unfortunate it does. It moves the same amount as when you turn without the game. Worried that playing this game too much will wear out the steering rack as well as creating a bald spot. Probably best to play this with a xbox controller.

Unfortunately I tried to play the game with my Xbox controller and it didn't work. I am also worries about dry steering on rough concrete while playing the game. I hope they add game controller support.

Reactions: Alketi
I call BS. If you had 2019.20.4 you could look at the release notes yourself...and I also don't believe the 2019.13.2 as being on it when you got it.
The Night Heron always speaks the truth. I just got another update, but it seems to have the same number. I am away from my car and my son has been driving it. He said the buggy game moves the wheels too. So i asked him not to play it.

There are definitely more than 6 people asking Tesla to fix the USB media player, considering the USB media player bugs/issues is one of the longest running threads on the Model S forum at nearly 100 pages long :(

I really wish they would fix the media player so that it resumes music playback reliably, stops needlessly scnaning the media USB driver most times I get in the car and offers playlist support.

Comprehensive USB Bug List
Yes I know, that 6 person thing was just that my concerns with the audio system never rank on the top 100 most wanted software improvement lists. It would be nice to be able to actually use the tesla audio system at it's highest level, via the USB interface, but it's so buggy, and seems to be very low on Teslas priority list. At least this is one less bug.

The playlist support thing would be nice! Those other two things are already fixed, at least in my car - I never have the rescanning problem, and it remembers where I am over power cycles. Do you have an S or X, and these aren't fixed?

Unfortunately I tried to play the game with my Xbox controller and it didn't work. I am also worries about dry steering on rough concrete while playing the game. I hope they add game controller support.

What era controller? I had been assuming a 360 era wired controller should work. The modern Xbox One controllers send their data over wireless (direct connection and/or Bluetooth on the most modern versions) instead of through the cord (the cord charges, does firmware updates, and can assist with syncs only) so they wont work. They may have if you have the PC dongle but it needs drivers so that still probably wont work.

My car is telling me there's an update available and wants me to connect to the WIFI to download it. Problem is, it doesn't see my WIFI at all. I thought they had LTE in them for just this reason, but mine is just not downloading any updates. I have made sure the climate control is off at night so it can update, but it hasn't. Does the overheat protection also need to be turned off?

My car is telling me there's an update available and wants me to connect to the WIFI to download it. Problem is, it doesn't see my WIFI at all. I thought they had LTE in them for just this reason, but mine is just not downloading any updates. I have made sure the climate control is off at night so it can update, but it hasn't. Does the overheat protection also need to be turned off?
Cabin Overheat protection can be on, and the vehicle will still download and install the update. You don't need to fiddle with those settings at all. Sentry Mode can still be on and the car will download the update, it just can't be enabled when installing the update.

Does it see any WiFi networks? You can try rebooting the center screen by pressing and holding the two scroll wheels. Or it could be that you need to be closer to the router. My car doesn't get good WiFi even where my phone does, I have to be pretty close to my router for it to work. You can get a range extender for your home network, or even a mesh system like Google WiFi (which is what I use).

Mobile phone hotspot also works in a pinch, if that is an option for you. Just be advised that it can use anywhere from 300 MB to 2 GB depending on what the car is downloading and uploading. Maps updates can be upwards of 2+ GB.

Thanks for the info! I think it picked up my neighbor's WIFI once, but only for a second and then it disappeared. My router is on the total opposite side of my house from the garage and not near the street either. We've tried using extenders before with inconsistent success, but it may be worth plugging it back in to see if the car finds it. I may try to go over to my parents house. Their router is close to the front of their house so maybe I can pick it up from the street. If not, I guess I'm stuck asking the service center.

Thanks for the info! I think it picked up my neighbor's WIFI once, but only for a second and then it disappeared. My router is on the total opposite side of my house from the garage and not near the street either. We've tried using extenders before with inconsistent success, but it may be worth plugging it back in to see if the car finds it.
I had the same problem, my WiFi router was on one end of the house and range extenders were a little unreliable and slow. I would recommend a mesh WiFi router system if you're looking to improve WiFi at your home.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the info! I think it picked up my neighbor's WIFI once, but only for a second and then it disappeared. My router is on the total opposite side of my house from the garage and not near the street either. We've tried using extenders before with inconsistent success, but it may be worth plugging it back in to see if the car finds it. I may try to go over to my parents house. Their router is close to the front of their house so maybe I can pick it up from the street. If not, I guess I'm stuck asking the service center.

Install these in your house and you will love it. Setup is a breeze using your phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-system-3-Pack-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294

Reactions: towndrunk
Install these in your house and you will love it. Setup is a breeze using your phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-WiFi-system-3-Pack-replacement/dp/B01MAW2294

Google Wi-Fi works great (I keep one device close to the garage). As an added benefit, you can see all the router activity of your 3.

322CE832-CDB6-49C5-862E-35472332F4A7.png

I had a similar problem when I first got my car -- the display of WiFi signals was either empty or showed one or two "networks" that were really from my solar panels' inverters. Sitting in the car, my cell phone saw my network and connected to it with no problem. The solution, at least for me, was to enter manual configuration mode and enter my WiFi network's SSID (that is, its name) manually. In my case, the car connected to the network, although it took a couple of tries. (Maybe I mis-typed the name or password, or maybe the connection was weak enough that it glitched out on me.) After that, the car should remember the WiFi network and connect automatically when it's in range. In my case, I get between 1 and 3 bars on the WiFi signal-strength meter, depending on exactly where I park. From a computer on my network, pinging the car produces variable ping times and occasionally modest packet loss, so the connection isn't perfect, but it is good enough; the car downloads updates just fine, which for me is the main point of the exercise.

There are also WiFi extenders available, and these may help in more extreme cases; you can put the extender closer to (or even in) your garage or driveway, thus producing a stronger signal for the car to read. I recommend trying to connect by manually entering the SSID information first, though. There's no point in buying another gadget if a manual connection to the existing network will do the job.

I call BS. If you had 2019.20.4 you could look at the release notes yourself...and I also don't believe the 2019.13.2 as being on it when you got it.
I'll cut him some slack because there are occasions where release notes don't immediately display for whatever reason and he/she may not have known how to get them back on the display. And yes, they could have gotten a recent car delivered with that version of software.