Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Have 2 Model S's?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NewTMSMan

Aug 21, 2017
USA
Replaced my wife's Panamera 4S with a P100D Model S, and now I want to drive the Model S everyday. She doesn't need the performance so was debating getting either another Model S or X, but a 100D. Anyone else have 2 Model S's in their garage?

We too have 2 S's Both 2014 vintage One w/Autopilot one w/o- We love both of them- Had to do some fancy calculations to install the second charger so they both can be plugged in at once- We've driven one of them all over the country. We love them. I'd say go for it- you'll likely be happy

Replaced my wife's Panamera 4S with a P100D Model S, and now I want to drive the Model S everyday. She doesn't need the performance so was debating getting either another Model S or X, but a 100D. Anyone else have 2 Model S's in their garage?

Go for it. We started back in 2013. Now I have two in the household, and five, yes five MS in the family, pretty soon to be seven when we take delivery of Model 3s. Inspite of lots of negativity in the media from way back in 2012/13 and now on the forums, we never regretted our choice/s and probably never will.
Once again, go for it.

We have one of the early S P85's, that now has about 88K miles on it.

In March, we purchased an S 100D and traded in my wife's ICE - and she now drivers the S P85 while I drive the S 100D during the week and we use it on the weekend and for road trips (already around 10K miles on it!).

We plan to replace the S P85 with a Model 3, though after driving through high water when evacuating from Harvey a few weeks ago, she's strongly considering delaying delivery until we can get the air suspension, and the ability to increase the vehicle height when driving through high water...

We had planned for two EVs in the house - and have a dedicated 100A circuit for charging. We have an HPWC that was charging at 80A for the S P85 - and had installed a 14-50 outlet on the other side of the garage. When the S 100D arrived, we moved the S P85 over to the 14-50 outlet and dialed it down to 30A for charging. The S100D connects to the HPWC and charges at 48A (we didn't order the high amp charger, which is now standard on newer 100's).

The biggest impact of having two Model S cars in the garage - because there isn't the heat from an ICE, the garage is a little bit cooler - and after we've had rain, the runoff from the cars (when they pull into the garage wet) has a tendency to stay on the garage floor for a while.

It's been nice never having to stop at a gas station...

• Funny
Reactions: Kiembbui
Hah! That might be our tipping point for a second EV.

We have an X, and as soon as my wife's Audi breaks out of warranty and/or she has to gas up over another winter, I bet we get an S (although if EAP doesn't get sorted by then, we might try to hold off until either Tesla makes us whole on our 12/16 purchase or until another company offers a reasonable alternative -- aka forever?).

Yep - 2016 S 75 and 2017 S100D. We love them. We kept my MB E55 in case we had to go somewhere that would be inconvenient to charge. We have never had to use it for that purpose, and it is gathering dust in the garage. I drive it every two weeks for 15 minutes to charge the battery and to keep the tire round. Once you drive a Model S, you can't go back.

No way I expected so many people to have gone this route, thought I was a bit crazy even considering it.

We have had 2 for years, 40k on my wife S and 20k on my P85D, Will never go back.
I started out the same, S for my wife and new Vette for me. That all changed after owning hers.
No travel issues at all. Could not be better.

This hits very close to home, I am currently driving a 2016 Z06 Vette (not sure you knew that when you posted). If you didn't know that is one heck of a coincidence.

We had planned for two EVs in the house - and have a dedicated 100A circuit for charging. We have an HPWC that was charging at 80A for the S P85 - and had installed a 14-50 outlet on the other side of the garage. When the S 100D arrived, we moved the S P85 over to the 14-50 outlet and dialed it down to 30A for charging. The S100D connects to the HPWC and charges at 48A (we didn't order the high amp charger, which is now standard on newer 100's).

The biggest impact of having two Model S cars in the garage - because there isn't the heat from an ICE, the garage is a little bit cooler - and after we've had rain, the runoff from the cars (when they pull into the garage wet) has a tendency to stay on the garage floor for a while.

I was not planning for more than one EV, myself, but do have a dedicated 100A circuit with a wall charger installed already, so should be able to piggyback off that with an additional charger if I want to. Interesting comment about the rain water, had not thought about that.

Will probably start shopping for the next Tesla in the next month or so.

Currently have a 70D and software locked 60 with an M3 coming for the 2 kids that started driving just 2 days ago. Our cars replaced our Prius and hybrid Highlander (Our Sig with rear seats carried more than the Highlander).

We have had zero trouble whether it's day to day or long distance travel for trips and it keeps getting better.

Dump the ICE you will be nothing but better off short and long run.

Same here, we bought the first MS 90D and then came the battle over who would drive it daily (wife or me). Shortly afterward bought a 2nd MS P85 and started eliminating the ICE cars we had. Now down to just one old ICE that pretty much just sits most of the time. Replaced one MS with an MX. Have taken a few road trips and no issues, however we tend to fly for most trips since wife works for an airline. HPWC installed in garage. Love them and doubt we'll ever go back to ICE. Just wish I could get a 100kwh battery for my MX P90DL, its Signature Red and I LOVE the color which I can't get in a new one.

Like Zythryn, we are heading towards an X and a 3. But for now, we have two Model S.

We sold our last ICE in 2009 when I bought a Tesla Roadster. My wife was driving an old RAV4-EV.

As soon as Tesla came out with the S, we replaced my wife's RAV4 with a 2012 S85 which she still has and loves. It has 85k miles.

A year ago I traded in my Roadster for an S P90DL. I preferred driving the raw, efficient Roadster, but a couple of family members were losing driving skills so we both needed cars we could get elderly people in to.

We have well over 200k miles on electricity and over 150k of them have been in Teslas. Almost 40k of those miles have been on road trips from 1,700 to 11,000 miles. Not only do we have no regrets, we really can't imagine going back.

What a great thread!
Currently have a 70D and software locked 60 with an M3 coming for the 2 kids that started driving just 2 days ago. Our cars replaced our Prius and hybrid Highlander (Our Sig with rear seats carried more than the Highlander).

We have had zero trouble whether it's day to day or long distance travel for trips and it keeps getting better.

Dump the ICE you will be nothing but better off short and long run.
Not to derail the thread, but were the rear facing seats worth it? We have three kids under 6 and three nephews that we cart around so I'm hoping RFS, even at $4000, will be used enough to merit the expense.

However...

A major reason why my wife wants to buy a Model 3 is to get the Enhance AutoPilot and Full-Self Driving hardware.

Tesla's in ability to provide a usable AutoPilot (9 months after their original promised deliver of that functionality in December last year) may de-rail or delay our plans to purchase a Model 3.

We've already spent over $100K on an S 100D, partly because we wanted the EAP/FSD hardware that was not present when we bought our S P85 in early 2013 - and we've already spent $8K with Tesla to activate those two options. Even at 1/2 the price, not sure we'll spend another $55-60K on a Model 3 - if Tesla's been unable to get the AP2 working in the S & X...

Plus, we're still living with major bugs introduced in the media player from almost a year ago - USB playback has multiple problems and even though the Model 3 won't have XM radio, it's disappointing that the XM radio interface was broken when 8.0 was released, and hasn't worked in our S 100D since we received it 6 months ago...

• Informative
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
We've had 2 Model S since last year. No regrets. No range issues, even though we only have a 75D and P85D (actually, 75D officially has a longer rated range). Longest trip so far, 6000 miles in the P85D. Love the cars and don't ever want to go back to ICE. Tesla makes great cars, though some initial quality issues usually come up at first, but service is great and takes care of it. The only piece of advice, don't buy it for any features not available at delivery time unless you like waiting without any communication from the company, being upset when communicated feature don't arrive when expected, or when it arrives it comes way short on expectations. Buy the car for what it is today, not the hype of what it could be and you'll be a satisfied customer.