Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a newer (or refresh) model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NHK X

Nov 18, 2017
Texas
I have a 2017 MX, at this point it’s like an old man. Creaks and groan and would shudder until the most recent service bulletin for the shudder. Our right side falcon wing door sometimes hits the front door and we’ve had some other issues. Road noise is bad and definitely some vibration.

We put an order for a new refresh MX (non plaid) the other day. Wondering how build quality has been for this who picked up an x more recently, ie end of last year or this year. Driving a 3 or Y everything feels silky smooth, hoping the new x is different and is similar. I’m hoping for the best, the new plaid and new LR S seem to have pretty good build quality.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
I have a 2017 MX, at this point it’s like an old man. Creaks and groan and would shudder until the most recent service bulletin for the shudder. Our right side falcon wing door sometimes hits the front door and we’ve had some other issues. Road noise is bad and definitely some vibration.

We put an order for a new refresh MX (non plaid) the other day. Wondering how build quality has been for this who picked up an x more recently, ie end of last year or this year. Driving a 3 or Y everything feels silky smooth, hoping the new x is different and is similar. I’m hoping for the best, the new plaid and new LR S seem to have pretty good build quality.
Nobody has one. They aren’t even being manufactured yet.

Sorry that’s is what I meant, anyone receive one late last year? Or have a refresh S? Would be interest in either to see how build quality is.
It doesn't look there are any X refreshes in consumer hands yet but take a look on Youtube and search "Model S Refresh". The top videos are of the first few people who have accepted delivery. I have found them very useful in my decision to buy an X refresh (unfortunately I placed my order after the $5,000 increase last week).
Interestingly enough if you go to Tesla.com and configure the Model S Plaid it says you can take delivery this month! If you configure the S Long Range it says November. My X Long Range order currently says January.

I can't verify this claim but my sales/service center at Mt. Kisco NY said that the S refresh was a huge upgrade over the previous version and "finally feels like a premium production car". Of course, take that with a grain of salt as he was a sales guy.

Reactions: NHK X
Read his post again, he didn’t ask if anyone had a new refresh 2021 model x. He asked about the build quality of any model x or other similar ones over the past year.

I’d be interested as well…
If we’re counting prototypes, that means the Roadster 2.0 and Cybertruck are in production as well.

No one has a refreshed X.
He asked about the build quality of any Model X or similar ones. Not about production...

For the OP's reference the refresh S cars are in user's hands - very similar cars for a point of reference on comparison and evaluation.

Reactions: shahhm
Okay. So please comment on the build quality of the MX prototype you linked.
The point I made above is that the S and X are mostly the same car with minor differences.

If the OP had any questions about build quality as I stated above there is a lot of data on the S refresh as they are taking delivery. For example, the seats, steering wheel, touch screen, and so on are all identical in the S and X. Hence, valid points of reference to the OP's original question on build quality.

Nobody is debating the fact that the X is not in production, you stated that a few times and we get it - but the question is regarding build quality not if the X is in production.

If the OP had any questions about build quality as I stated above there is a lot of data on the S refresh as they are taking delivery. For example, the seats, steering wheel, touch screen, and so on are all identical in the S and X. Hence, valid points of reference to the OP's original question on build quality.

Nobody is debating the fact that the X is not in production, you stated that a few times and we get it - but the question is regarding build quality not if the X is in production.
lol people are getting way to hung up with this issue. I should have written my post and title better. Was in a hurry.

But again yes, studioloft is correct. I understand that no refresh model Xs are in production. I follow all this pretty closely and know around 15 have been made for internal testing. Hence some of the vids and pictures of the new X in the wild.

And again, I want to know how people who have the most recent model x, even if it was delivered last year (raven) think about the quality of the build. Road noise, rattles, shudder, falcon wing door issues ect. Or if people already have a plaid or non plaid refresh model S, your opinions as well since the new X will share so much with the S.

Appreciate all the input. I’ve already placed my order for the new X, just want to make sure I’m making the right choice.

lol people are getting way to hung up with this issue. I should have written my post and title better. Was in a hurry.

But again yes, studioloft is correct. I understand that no refresh model Xs are in production. I follow all this pretty closely and know around 15 have been made for internal testing. Hence some of the vids and pictures of the new X in the wild.

And again, I want to know how people who have the most recent model x, even if it was delivered last year (raven) think about the quality of the build. Road noise, rattles, shudder, falcon wing door issues ect. Or if people already have a plaid or non plaid refresh model S, your opinions as well since the new X will share so much with the S.

Appreciate all the input. I’ve already placed my order for the new X, just want to make sure I’m making the right choice.
To the OP. IMHO you've made the correct choice to order the MX (refresh). We received our 2019 MX Raven in August of 2019. Fit and alignment of exterior body parts perfect. Interior assembly perfect. In two years of driving (16,000 or so miles) no warranty issues. Falcon doors operate as they should and because the car is garaged no deterioration of the rubber seals. No shudder . . . either b/c the issue with the control arms was resolved by the time we ordered or because the car is driven conservatively. No road noise. Have others who purchased a late model MX had problems? Probably . . . some very minor and others perhaps of a more frustrating variety. That said, our car is a starship! Most incredible car we've ever owned or driven. Good luck!!

Reactions: DelPhonic1

Late Dec. 2020 delivery ‘21 MXP, the build quality is fine. beautiful CF/black interior and MSM paint. Fit and finish are good, the only exception being less-than full paint coverage on the underside of the frunk lid.
It was just beginning to develop a shudder when I was hit head on and LH half shaft was replaced in the repair. No problem since.

Reactions: hcdavis3 and NHK X
March 2020 delivery. The dreaded shudder at 7K on a gently driven car, just fixed a few weeks ago. Sliding door on center console broke and wouldn't stay open (hardly ever used). Full computer shutdown on high way several times in summer of 2020, probably a software issue as it went away after a few software updates. Falcon wing doors fail to open all the way or close all the way inconsistently but nothing nearby to effect them; often just open and close again and it works. Washer fluid pump failed. Air leaks at front door wing windows, air leaks at rear door, Continued instances of sentry mode not capturing important events (dent in rear door, scrape on front corner). Rear USB outlet failed (several attempts at fixing didn't solve it but finally they did, it was just a wire loom). There were several other minor things I can't recall right now.

They really need to work on quality; but a 300+ mile range electric SUV are rather a rare bread.

Hate to kick a dead horse, but whenever people say "...just look at a Model S as proxy for what build quality will be like on Model X..." I get a little frustrated. Yes, the cars share a LOT, but mechanically / structurally, the Model X is in a league of its own and will have it's own set of quality issues as it ages (the FWDoors, and all the robitics and sensor-ware required for them to function for example).