Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a photo of the GEN 1 charge cord resistor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am drafting an article about historical Tesla charging solutions for publication to Clean Technica. Wondering if anyone ever had a reason to open up their GEN 1 charing cord/adapter (GEN 1 only, not GEN 2) to expose the resistor that sets the charge current. I'd like to insert a picture showing the location of the resistor.

Thanx
jim

Rocky, is that you??

Serious question? If so, The charging circuit in the car (I think that's the system that checks this) simply notes the voltage drop across the resistor. Differing resistor values yield differing voltage drops, so that by measuring the drop, the car's charger is informed as to how much current it can draw from the outlet. But my assumption may be incorrect. There may be a circuit in the charge cable (UMC) that calculates this and then informs the car's charger. Never dug into it that deep.

Rocky, is that you??
Yeppers--same username on both forums.

Serious question? If so, The charging circuit in the car (I think that's the system that checks this) simply notes the voltage drop across the resistor. Differing resistor values yield differing voltage drops, so that by measuring the drop, the car's charger is informed as to how much current it can draw from the outlet. But my assumption may be incorrect. There may be a circuit in the charge cable (UMC) that calculates this and then informs the car's charger. Never dug into it that deep.

It's the second one. It's not inside the car that is reading it. It is in the electronics box in the UMC cable that is reading the resistor of the adapter that is attached to it. Then, it creates the signal (using that J1772 protocol) to send to the car to tell it what the max number of amps is.