Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a solution for uncomfortable front Seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 X with Gen 1 seats

I find the bottom cushion to be uncomfortable after 40+ minutes of driving

The bolsters which rise up on either side squeeze the sides of my thighs and lead to almost a numbing sensation, I find myself having to shift around and take breaks just to relieve the pain

Two questions
1. Is the geometry of the bottom seat cushion on the 2020 Gen 2 seats fundamentally different? In the sense that it 'squeezes' you less? Maybe less steep angles on the bolsters?

2. Are there any add-ons that people have had success with in attaching to the bottom cushion to essentially 'fill in' the low part of the seat and thus rise the driver above the 'squeezing sides' of the seat and relieve this pressure?

@dmurphy

I appreciate any suggestions.

Reactions: electrique

The bolsters which rise up on either side squeeze the sides of my thighs and lead to almost a numbing sensation, I find myself having to shift around and take breaks just to relieve the pain

Two questions
1. Is the geometry of the bottom seat cushion on the 2020 Gen 2 seats fundamentally different? In the sense that it 'squeezes' you less? Maybe less steep angles on the bolsters?

2. Are there any add-ons that people have had success with in attaching to the bottom cushion to essentially 'fill in' the low part of the seat and thus rise the driver above the 'squeezing sides' of the seat and relieve this pressure?

@dmurphy

So I can't help much with the Gen1 seats - have extremely little experience with them, but I'm very comfortable in the Gen2 seats. They're fundamentally the same as our Model 3; as I understand, it's the exact same frame, just some different padding and covers.

Now, as for add-ons ... for our road trip, we used two of these, moreso for the cooling. Found the massaging part gimmicky at best, but after hiking some of the trails and parks, it was nice to have a cooled seat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XS65DQ/

Also found it quite comfortable - but that's very individual preference ...

Why not see what an auto reupholster can do to make your seat exactly how you want it? They could probably do something about the bolsters too, I imagine. I’m VERY picky about seat comfort - my wife is even more demanding - and we love the comfort of both front seats in my September 2019 Raven Model X. I’m not exactly sure what generation seat they are - I suspect generation 2.

Reactions: mohanman

Two questions

@dmurphy

Just curious what is your height and weight? Im 6'2" and 250lbs. I put my seat almost all the way up I have maybe 2-3 " clearance from the top of my head to the roof, and it is comfortable for me, maybe try that rather then being low to the ground? My eyes are almost at the same level as the rear view mirror.

Reactions: croman
So I can't help much with the Gen1 seats - have extremely little experience with them, but I'm very comfortable in the Gen2 seats. They're fundamentally the same as our Model 3; as I understand, it's the exact same frame, just some different padding and covers.

Now, as for add-ons ... for our road trip, we used two of these, moreso for the cooling. Found the massaging part gimmicky at best, but after hiking some of the trails and parks, it was nice to have a cooled seat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071XS65DQ/

Also found it quite comfortable - but that's very individual preference ...

wow, the same frame as the Model 3? How can you be sure?

If so, that's a HUGE improvement.

I have seen the 'bare frame' photos of both the 2017 Model X. (Gen1) seats and the Model 3 seats....totally different....Tesla made a big mistake and in the Gen1 MX seats, they designed the frame so that it creates like a hole.

I had a 2018 model X and happily upgraded to 2020 LR+ partly because of the horrible seats in the 18. New ones are way better, no more squeezing.

Wow, so even though the bottom cushion side bolsters appear to be the same in the photos......the seat feels totally different?

Just to confirm: You felt squeezed by the bottom cushion in the 2018 and no longer have that problem in the 2020?

Two questions

@dmurphy

I’ve got a 4/2017 built Model X. I’ve got to say, these are the most comfortable seats I’ve ever owned. I never get “seat fatigue” from sitting in these. My seats ARE NOT the perforated leather, but the white vegan seats (with adjustable headrests). Much more comfortable, imo, than the seats in the Model 3 I owned prior to this.

• Love
Reactions: Art VandeIay
Wow, so even though the bottom cushion side bolsters appear to be the same in the photos......the seat feels totally different?

Just to confirm: You felt squeezed by the bottom cushion in the 2018 and no longer have that problem in the 2020?

That’s right. The sides are not as high anymore and they are a bit softer. Looks are indeed deceiving.

I have the same seat discomfort on my 2017 X. I found a custom car leather shop that was willing to remove some of the side bolster but I never went through with it. You might be able to find a shop that would be willing to do the same.

I have a '21 MYP that I took delivery of a couple weeks ago and I freaking HATE the seats. This was not something I could have caught on the test drive. Looks like I have the same issue OP has. Sides of bottom kind of dig into my butt. I guess there's nothing I can do with Tesla but I'm about to look for aftermarket seats. FML. I have a Model S and Model 3 previously and don't remember this agony at all. The actual flat part in the back is only 11.5" wide.

I started to glance here - would love to know any options people have gone with. A seat cover wouldn't help at all unfortunately.

If the seats are anything like the seats on a 21 MY, I feel your pain. Same height and weight as you and the MY seats are killing my behind, especially hamstrings. Luckily its my wife's car, and she finds the seats comfortable.

I have a '21 MYP that I took delivery of a couple weeks ago and I freaking HATE the seats. This was not something I could have caught on the test drive. Looks like I have the same issue OP has. Sides of bottom kind of dig into my butt. I guess there's nothing I can do with Tesla but I'm about to look for aftermarket seats. FML. I have a Model S and Model 3 previously and don't remember this agony at all. The actual flat part in the back is only 11.5" wide.

I started to glance here - would love to know any options people have gone with. A seat cover wouldn't help at all unfortunately.
Did you find a solution? I'm in the same boat. The left side is painful.

I had a 2018 model X and happily upgraded to 2020 LR+ partly because of the horrible seats in the 18. New ones are way better, no more squeezing.
This is how crazy it gets. I'm the exact opposite lol. I found the 2020 seats extremely uncomfortable-- they made my back have some sort of spasms after more than 35 minutes of driving, consistently. So I got a late 2018, that feels like the most comfortable seat I've ever had by far. I'm fresh and not tired after 8 hr drives! I'm 6'3" and about 215.

Same issue in brand-new Model S Plaid. Excruciating pain in my right glute radiating into my lower back—after a mere week. Never had this issue any other car, including the ICE SUV I owned before this. Thought maybe it was an issue with the sporty sedan nature of the Plaid, especially the lack of vertical space for my legs, bringing my knees above my hips and putting pressure on my butt. But I'm seeing people with other Teslas, including the Y and the X, mentioning the same thing. Is it really possible that the seats are just bad?