Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a solution for uncomfortable front Seat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 X with Gen 1 seats

I find the bottom cushion to be uncomfortable after 40+ minutes of driving

The bolsters which rise up on either side squeeze the sides of my thighs and lead to almost a numbing sensation, I find myself having to shift around and take breaks just to relieve the pain

Two questions
1. Is the geometry of the bottom seat cushion on the 2020 Gen 2 seats fundamentally different? In the sense that it 'squeezes' you less? Maybe less steep angles on the bolsters?

2. Are there any add-ons that people have had success with in attaching to the bottom cushion to essentially 'fill in' the low part of the seat and thus rise the driver above the 'squeezing sides' of the seat and relieve this pressure?

@dmurphy

I appreciate any suggestions.
I have the same problem and Tesla claimed they don't have any complaints, but I am sure they didn't record mine. I am using a seat cushion that is uncomfortable but no more excruciating leg pain.
I will love my Model X.

Uncomfortable Seats; Seat Modifications; Seat Bottom Cushion Customized; Head Rest Change; Butt, Buttocks, Bottom, Let, Back Pain

I realize this is an old thread but people might search and find this.

I have had a terrible time with my 2022 Model 3 P. Why am I posting on a Model X? Because all models use the same metal seat pan / frame. And all models are using the same foam type and density. There may be subtle differences is seat looks and shape, dependent upon the foam shape from the factory.

After many months, money, and trail and error I have come up with a main fix for all Tesla cars built after the major changes around 2016 along with the introduction of the Model 3 and Model Y.

What I suffered was increasing discomfort and finally genuine pain that seemed to come from the bolsters / wings.
This pain got worse and worse and in time it no longer took a long ride to feel very uncomfortable. I developed pain in the sides of my hips, sides of my thighs and in my hamstring of my left leg. Then I developed pain in my sit bones. I also had pain in my neck from the head rest position.

My final solution was to pull the seat bottom out of the car, remove the foam from the stock seat. Replace that foam with a more thick and dense foam from an altogether different make / model car. And custom insert the sensor and stock Tesla seat cover back on. I also placed a block of dense foam under the seat cushion. I wired all the stock wiring back and everything works. Also, since I reused the stock seat faux leather, the car looks stock.
I also removed the head rest and bent it back. I then shimmed the head rest up a bit.
Finally I removed the lumbar support air bags.

These solutions made driving incredibly better for me.
An additional gain in the customized seat is genuine suspension. Many will find the ride a little harsh. If you already have back issues it can exacerbate them. The painful bolters / wings will get further aggravated.
But with suspension through dense and more foam all of it is alleviated.

These problems do not affect all drivers.
And it may take a little bit of fine tuning for each personal challenge. For example, those with diagnosed back issues of certain types may find one solution better than another. My seat change is hand made and therefore very cusomizable. Through experimentation, everyone should find some relief and some level of improvement.

Generally, and I mean to generalize only. They tend to affect a person with a somewhat wider hip bone, wider thigh position, larger frame, somewhat heavier, taller, etc. But not always. Also back problems and nervous system problems can be a setup for struggling with Tesla seats.

The Tesla seat is made from a very soft foam and it's thin. The set of the foam is low and "inside" the lower metal seat frame. This creates the issues. The width in the back is only about 11". If your hips are wider, you will have issues with stock Tesla seats. I would guess that maybe 25%-60% of the population will have some kind of issue with the stock Tesla seats.

Sincerely,
George Borrelli

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Genie and croman
Thank you for your post. You didn't happen to take and pictures of your work did you? How long did this take. I used to be pretty handy, but I may take your post to a place that does this work for guidance.
I have several YouTube videos of seat work. Some of the earlier changes, some of the later changes. And some videos of how to remove the seat bottom.
My YouTube Channel is George Borrelli
Let me know if you need any more help.