Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have a timeframe for gen 3 wall charger load sharing FW?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Load sharing was supposed to work over WiFi without needing direct connection right? If so, they are likely waiting for NEC to support this.
Right, wifi only. I'd be a little surprised if the NEC would need to get involved since each charger is provisioned to the max of the wiring/breaker that its connected to. Worst case if the HPWC screws up the current sharing is that the main breaker trips. Clearly you never want that to happen, but its not like your house is gonna burn down.

I'm pretty shocked that they haven't released the sharing FW yet, but I guess they've been too busy with overheating issues.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If I required EVSE load balancing to be able to charge two or more EVs at the same time I would investigate ClipperCreek's line of load balancing EVSE. You can have two EVSE on the same circuit. ClipperCreek also sells an EVSE that features two charging cables with built-in load balancing. ClipperCreek EVSE come with charging cables that are 25 feet in length. You would need to use the Tesla J1772 adapter to charge the Tesla vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and cwerdna
Right, wifi only. I'd be a little surprised if the NEC would need to get involved since each charger is provisioned to the max of the wiring/breaker that its connected to. Worst case if the HPWC screws up the current sharing is that the main breaker trips. Clearly you never want that to happen, but its not like your house is gonna burn down.

I'm pretty shocked that they haven't released the sharing FW yet, but I guess they've been too busy with overheating issues.
If each HPWC is connected to a properly sized breaker and wiring then why do you need to load share? For the breaker to be properly sized that takes into account being a constant load and the rest of your electrical. Pretty sure constant loads count 1:1 in your main panel unlike periodic loads which count as a partial percentage. For example, if you have 100A service and tried to put 2x 60A breakers for HPWCs I don’t think that would pass code. If you used both it would pull too much and trip your main breaker. Code is designed to prevent this from happening.

Isn’t the whole point of load sharing being able to install 2 or more HPWCs on one circuit (1 breaker)?

Reactions: bryan995
Isn’t the whole point of load sharing being able to install 2 or more HPWCs on one circuit (1 breaker)?
The Gen3 manual says each one gets its own circuit and breaker.

You are correct, on second thought the NEC probably does have to get involved, since the two circuits you'd be adding would likely exceed the limits of the main breaker in many cases.

If each HPWC is connected to a properly sized breaker and wiring then why do you need to load share? For the breaker to be properly sized that takes into account being a constant load and the rest of your electrical. Pretty sure constant loads count 1:1 in your main panel unlike periodic loads which count as a partial percentage. For example, if you have 100A service and tried to put 2x 60A breakers for HPWCs I don’t think that would pass code. If you used both it would pull too much and trip your main breaker. Code is designed to prevent this from happening.

I think the load sharing is ideal for scenarios where there are a ton of EVSEs, but wiring costs or the utility feed, caps the max amps.

For example, say a location is capped at 80 amps, but the business wants to offer 4 EVSE parking spots. They could just install 4 independent EVSEs and run them at 20 (16) amps each. But the business knows that not all 4 spots are always taken. So, it'd be nice to give >20 amps to customers when there are open spots.

Reactions: Rocky_H
If each HPWC is connected to a properly sized breaker and wiring then why do you need to load share?
Because they're not each on their own circuit in the sharing setup.
The Gen3 manual says each one gets its own circuit and breaker.
Not quite. Breaker: yes. Circuit: no.

This is why it confuses people when this is described not quite correctly. It does say each needs to be controlled by its own breaker, but it can still be on one single shared main circuit. You can take something like a single 50A circuit to run most of the distance, like out to a parking lot to a subpanel (saves wire costs). And then you can hook up 16 of these wall connectors on their sub-circuits with separate breakers. So that would appear as if it were 800 amps running from a 50 amp circuit. Code would normally not allow you to overload a subpanel that badly. The wi-fi sharing is to make sure that all 16 units don't go above that 50A capacity of the parent circuit.

But all of this is academic, since Tesla STILL has not released the software to do it. And I would not think this needs anything from NEC. It has conditions for EVSEs with load management but doesn't specify whether that is wired or wireless.

Am also waiting for the load sharing FW update. Out of curiosity, how does Tesla communicate when a wall connector firmware update has been made?
You read about it on TMC, or you connect to the HPWC via its wifi and check it.

It used to be that you could visit the HPWC and configure/monitor it via its wifi connection from anywhere on the same network, but they took that out with a firmware update a little while ago. Its probably a good thing they did, since there was no authentication at all. Imagine someone either near your house, or potentially half-a-world away, quietly increasing the max current output of your HPWC. With luck, it would just trip the breaker. Without luck, your house might burn down.

Reactions: Ron_M3
Huh. I would have expected this feature to have been released by now. I have 2 gen 2 HPWC’s that load share and they work great.

Wasn’t really sure I needed 2 but when I saw that the 3rd gen wasn’t able to power share with the 2nd gen-decided it was now or never if I wanted that feature.

Reactions: Ron_M3
Passing on what I just heard from my favorite electrician who installs many Tesla Wall Connectors (TWC).

He just received the firmware to enable power load sharing between two TWC Gen 3 models. File was sent to him (and other installers) from Tesla in an email attachment a few days ago, not available to public over the air yet.

He setup load sharing on a new pair of TWC Gen 3, communicates via wireless only, no control wires required. Supports up to four TWC Gen 3 at a time right now, and 2 to 4 can power load share up to a single 100 Amp circuit. Each TWC Gen 3 still only outputs 48 Amps each max so won't boost older Model S with dual-chargers. His working theory is that a set of load sharing TWC Gen 3 will replace old/existing installs of paired Tesla destination chargers.

I don't personally have a TWC Gen 3, but I have a pair of load sharing TWC Gen 2.

Passing on what I just heard from my favorite electrician who installs many Tesla Wall Connectors (TWC).

He just received the firmware to enable power load sharing between two TWC Gen 3 models. File was sent to him (and other installers) from Tesla in an email attachment a few days ago, not available to public over the air yet.

He setup load sharing on a new pair of TWC Gen 3, communicates via wireless only, no control wires required. Supports up to four TWC Gen 3 at a time right now, and 2 to 4 can power load share up to a single 100 Amp circuit. Each TWC Gen 3 still only outputs 48 Amps each max so won't boost older Model S with dual-chargers. His working theory is that a set of load sharing TWC Gen 3 will replace old/existing installs of paired Tesla destination chargers.

I don't personally have a TWC Gen 3, but I have a pair of load sharing TWC Gen 2.
That's great news! Thanks for the update.

Nevermind below. I realized I needed to download the FW. Did the update and configured sharing with no issues. It was pretty easy.

Which FW version supports it? I checked and my chargers are on V1.4.4 (0).

Last edited:
So I have 1 wall connector on the way but do plan to later install another. I am confused on the wiring.

Each needs their own 60a breaker?
They need a subpanel to share one 100a breaker?

Should I wait to have both installed? (One would be for the CT, which also brings the risk of a larger connector being released).

This seems to suggest that both are possible.

But as the comment above says, if each can have their own 60a breaker and code is met, then there is no need to share the load.