TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone have a window randomly roll down?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by rdrcrmatt, Feb 1, 2014.

1. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

I'm (almost) certain my passenger front window was closed last night when we got home. I plugged the car in but didn't really look it over. Since I parked at the girlfriend's house it isn't in a garage and well this morning, just that one window was down all the way. And as luck would have it, we got 3"of snow over night.
    :cursing:

Anyone else ever have a window randomly roll down?

2. roblab

roblab Active Member

Are you randomly tall?

Mine only randomly rolls down the right rear window. That's because, being tallish, with the seat all the way back, my knee sometimes rests near the window switches. Usually I hear it randomly roll down, if I am moving fast enough. I must randomly hit other window switches, because when I notice air rushing around and pull up on all the window switches, 3 out of 4 windows will move up to closed position, maybe a half inch to an inch. But it's random, so I don't see it very often.

I was thinking that some of us need little shields and rests for the knees. Others, maybe not so much.

3. dave

dave Member

I've had that happen while driving, and while I don't remember hitting the window button, my knee does rest very close to it, so I figure that was what happened...

4. rekoh

rekoh Member

It could be that your 12v battery is on its way out. That happened to me, and that was the cause( some sort of failsafe to ensure ability to enter/exit? ... but they replace the battery under warranty.. no further issues.

5. caddieo

caddieo Member

I've always been able to trace it to my knee hitting the switches (even if I'm only 5'9").

6. maxjamie

maxjamie Member

that was the first sign of my regulator going out.

7. Cestevenson

Cestevenson Member

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

It's the knee switches for me. It often happens when I'm going over a bump. Mostly I can eliminate it by placing my foot right against the seat rather than halfway between the seat and the dead pedal.

9. benfrank3

benfrank3 Member

Knees

My knee hits the switches on the doors all the time, it's annoying as hell!

10. jerry33

Especially when it's cold out or raining. Either there needs to be a switch to deactivate the window buttons or there needs to be some kind of a knee fence. Anyone want to start development?

11. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

My car also has that "knee switch". Funny thing though.... never happens when Jenny's driving. What a coincidence, huh?

12. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

Yep, probably the most annoying design issue. I roll down either the front or rear of passenger window at least 2x per week regardless of foot position. They might have change the angle of these buttons maybe 10 degrees toward horizontal and the problem would be gone. I'll have to look at some sort of poor-man's fix if something we wedged into fence them.

13. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

I don't believe my issue was knee related as the only window that was still up was the passenger rear. I don't see how my knee could have pushed the driver rear and not the passenger rear.

I posted this before I went to clean the car out.. turns out it was both drivers windows and the passenger front.

14. paco3791

paco3791 TMC OG

I've had this once or twice with the driver side window. I've parked the car. plugged it in. charged over night come back in the morning and the driver window is down all the way. the 12V system issue sounds like the most likely culprit but it's not happening at all consistently, and I've had my 12V battery replaced twice sine I got the car. My issue is definitely not the knee problem, I'm 6 foot and I've never had that problem.

15. rdrcrmatt

rdrcrmatt Member

no way was it my knee, its like a foot away when i'm in the car.

16. deonb

deonb Active Member

Could you or someone else have accidentally sat on the remote in the house?

If you press the top button for a few seconds, all the windows will roll down. Maybe one of them just got stuck in the cold, or maybe it's still stuck. Try out the remote and see if it reproduces the problem.

17. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Sounds like a classic case of "knee switch denial syndrome." (KSDS)

18. jerry33

I've had all the windows roll down when I bent down outside car. The first time it happened it was pouring rain. Now I'm very careful about that :)

19. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

I had the passenger window roll down once while I was away from the car. Very strange. It hasn't happened since.

20. teslasguy

teslasguy MSP P#1117

My knee also bumps the rear passenger switch and rolls it down all the time. Once I was going thru a touchless car wash and ended up getting a car full of soapy water.
    I pinged Jerome about this and suggested that they make the rear window disable switch also work from the front switch. Just got a 'we'll take that into future consideration" response. Typical Jerome response anymore!
    There's another long thread about this issue. Also, lately I've been having incidents where that same rear window won't raise until I fiddle around with different window switches.
    it seems that if I turn the disable rear window switch off/on that will often then start the rear passenger switch working again.