Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have an east coast -> pacific northwest iteneraty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering doing a cross country trip this fall from the mid-atlantic region out to the pacific northwest. I looked at the route suggested by Tesla, but I am wondering whether anyone has recommendations for hotels (e.g., with destination chargers) or places not to miss along the way. Also I am intentionally choosing to drive the Tesla (75D) instead of an ICE car (BMW X1) because I think Autopilot and size will make the trip more comfortable. Maybe I am insane?

Screenshot 2018-09-06 22.13.20.png

I am considering doing a cross country trip this fall from the mid-atlantic region out to the pacific northwest. I looked at the route suggested by Tesla, but I am wondering whether anyone has recommendations for hotels (e.g., with destination chargers) or places not to miss along the way. Also I am intentionally choosing to drive the Tesla (75D) instead of an ICE car (BMW X1) because I think Autopilot and size will make the trip more comfortable. Maybe I am insane?

View attachment 332594
Insane for driving the Tesla? We drive our S75D back and forth between Washington and Texas twice year via a different route each time. The first time we were a little apprehensive, but no problems except on the first trip when a storm took out the power in Price, Utah. But we dealt with that, and learned that with a little planning and occasionally slowing down, we can easily make an extended Supercharger-supplied trip anywhere.

• Helpful
Reactions: Russell and IdaX
Is the trip to just "get you there" or is it a "Road trip!"?

If it is a road trip, I'd recommend first looking at places where you would like to stop. Schedule the trip as a trip, then come back and see if you have to make any changes due to charging.
Also, look at taking a different return trip. If you are going to spend time on the road, why not look at different things.
Also, you say "fall" so maybe you want to see some of fall. You may want to check out some of the fall color sites to see when each area is optimal. You may want to travel a little further south on the outbound and then a northern route on the way back.

If you are travelling for travelling. Check out the route suggested by Bing or Google maps first. See how close the Tesla route follows and where deviations may need to be made. Then look for charging support. The Tesla map only uses Superchargers, so it doesn't account for an overnight charge or even time it for mealtime charging.

Agree with ewoodrick, make a plan and then figure out how to charge along the way. (see below). The car's nav just wants to get you there ASAP.

We have traveled cross country multiple times both ICE and Tesla and prefer the I70 route over I90. Depends of course what you want to see. Your route has some nice things like Mt Rushmore on it but also goes through Chicago. And don't forget that fall can be unpredictable on the northern route. It has already snowed this August in Montana and Wyoming along I90.

So the way I plan is this... Create the route you want in any nav system you like. Then using a site like supercharge.info see where the superchargers are on that route to make sure it is possible. Then bust the route up into day segments to end at hotels with superchargers or nearby ones. Use abetterrouteplanner.com to create plans for each day adjusting the stays at superchargers where you'll have a meal.

I don't use a better route planner in the car but tell the car I want to go to the long stop supercharger and then have it compute and recommend supercharger stops to there. So in the end I have the car plan twice each day, have individual day plans from a better route planner and the overall plan from Mappoint (old MS SW).

Hotels with destination chargers are hit and miss for availability of the charger. And you should call ahead and tell them you'll want to use the destination charger. One trip we did with no supercharger close by depended on the destination charger. It worked out but the other Tesla owner staying there showed up later and had to wait for us to finish.We were done at 3 AM. He got a late start in the morning.