Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have an experience with a "Rat Mat"/"The grid guard"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My parents are looking into a "rat mat" (an electric "fence"/flooring) after noticing evidence of mice in their Model Y. I googled "keeping mice out of teslas" and found (How To Prevent Rodent Damage To Electric Cars - RatMat And Tesla Case Study — Hammer Technologies Rat Repellent For Cars, Deterrent For Rats..). The page reads very SEO-y and I couldn't find much other information on them... After contacting them for more info they US distributor (at least for some states) is: The Grid Guard Effective Non-Toxic Rodent Control - The Grid Guard. This page has a lot more info, but still a little SEO-y with a phone number, no physical address. Which doesn't instill much confidence.

I only found one or two mentions of it previously on the forums by one user, one of which was this thread: Rodent damage

Anyone else know anything about this company/product?

Thank you

It does and is (expensive). That's why I was hoping for some more feedback lol, but regardless, it seems like it will be extremely effective. My parents are into the idea of it and are ready to buy it.

Good question regarding pets. Fortunately, they only have indoor cats, I can't imagine it's dog friendly though.

Last edited:
My parents are looking into a "rat mat" (an electric "fence"/flooring) after noticing evidence of mice in their Model Y. I googled "keeping mice out of teslas" and found (How To Prevent Rodent Damage To Electric Cars - RatMat And Tesla Case Study — Hammer Technologies Rat Repellent For Cars, Deterrent For Rats..). The page reads very SEO-y and I couldn't find much other information on them... After contacting them for more info they US distributor (at least for some states) is: The Grid Guard Effective Non-Toxic Rodent Control - The Grid Guard. This page has a lot more info, but still a little SEO-y with a phone number, no physical address. Which doesn't instill much confidence.

I only found one or two mentions of it previously on the forums by one user, one of which was this thread: Rodent damage

Thank you
I, too, am very interested to know more.
We're on expensive repair number three due to rodent damage!
Surely there is some independent evaluation out there.

Reactions: Georgesb2
I just bought a rat mat recently (have had to take my model S in twice now for significant damages caused by rats) and while it's probably too early to say for sure, so far so good.. and i did come home one night and saw a rat run from my neighbors yard into my driveway and run around the rat mat, clearly avoiding it. So for those interested, it seems very promising so far!

We use a Rat Mat (Grid Guard) for our Model Y.

We've had it almost a year with zero rodent issues.

We live in a rural location and had mice infest a Subaru Ascent, destroy the wiring in a Toyota Prius, and make nests in two pickup trucks. Oh, and eat the wiring in a Sprinter van. So the fact that it seems to keep them out of the Model Y is incredible and well worth the cost.

I, too, am very interested to know more.
We're on expensive repair number three due to rodent damage!
Surely there is some independent evaluation out there.

Thank you
Hello there, we do have an address. we are based in Santa Barbara CA, and our warehouse /shipping is in Chatsworth, CA.. We've now helped over 200 car and RV owners solve the rat problem. We are not inexpensive, but certainly less than the repair costs from what we have heard, and seen ourselves as we all use the product everyday to protect our cars and in my case an RV....

Hello there, we do have an address. we are based in Santa Barbara CA, and our warehouse /shipping is in Chatsworth, CA.. We've now helped over 200 car and RV owners solve the rat problem. We are not inexpensive, but certainly less than the repair costs from what we have heard, and seen ourselves as we all use the product everyday to protect our cars and in my case an RV....

I just bought a rat mat recently (have had to take my model S in twice now for significant damages caused by rats) and while it's probably too early to say for sure, so far so good.. and i did come home one night and saw a rat run from my neighbors yard into my driveway and run around the rat mat, clearly avoiding it. So for those interested, it seems very promising so far!
Would you be able to share how much you paid and does it work on 220V or 110V or either without a step-down transformer, where I park it's a garage with a a dedicated 220V outlet and reserved space but very expensive / impossible to retro-fit 110V or get permits for any additional hard-wired installation.

Would you be able to share how much you paid and does it work on 220V or 110V or either without a step-down transformer, where I park it's a garage with a a dedicated 220V outlet and reserved space but very expensive / impossible to retro-fit 110V or get permits for any additional hard-wired installation.
Hello, Mike Conrad here. I'm with thegridguard.com. to answer your questions, a full system with tiles, edges, connectors, and energizer is $1499 plus UPS ground shipping ( its heavy and that usually runs a few hundred depending on where you live, we ship from California ). The energizer is supplied from a small switch mode transformer that can operate at up to 240V (international spec ) and puts out about 100ma at 12V ). please visit our website at thegridguard.com or if you have more questions please email us at [email protected]....

An independent review has recently been done, by a well known expert in the field of dealing with rodents. Mouse Trap Mondays... you can see it here:

We use a Rat Mat (Grid Guard) for our Model Y.

We've had it almost a year with zero rodent issues.

We live in a rural location and had mice infest a Subaru Ascent, destroy the wiring in a Toyota Prius, and make nests in two pickup trucks. Oh, and eat the wiring in a Sprinter van. So the fact that it seems to keep them out of the Model Y is incredible and well worth the cost.
Could you contact me directly re the mat? Shannon 650-208-5760

Reactions: Georgesb2
I haven't tried the Rat Mat (Grid Guard) yet. Shawn Woods does excellent reviews and he has done one on this too, see link in prior comments.
I don't want to use it because we have dogs and bring them in the Tesla quite often.
So far I've done Pepperment Oil, Ultrasonics, Lights, and traps. My saga continues and I post the results on my YouTube channel.