Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have an RTIC 45 cooler? Does it fit in the sub trunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm wondering if anyone here can do a fit test of their RTIC 45 cooler in their model 3 sub trunk. You may need to remove the sub trunk lid in order to slide it in at an angle to get through. Thank you for the help.

P.S. I know the Yeti 45 fits, but the RTIC 45 is 20% bigger and only half an inch wider, nominally taller, cheaper, and has better reviews.

I'm wondering if anyone here can do a fit test of their RTIC 45 cooler in their model 3 sub trunk. You may need to remove the sub trunk lid in order to slide it in at an angle to get through. Thank you for the help.

P.S. I know the Yeti 45 fits, but the RTIC 45 is 20% bigger and only half an inch wider, nominally taller, cheaper, and has better reviews.

Unfortunately not:
IMG_20200514_170932.jpg
IMG_20200514_170953.jpg

Man, for that price, I'm tempted to make a cooler out of rigid foam panels that fits perfectly in there and could be removed. . I think I've even got an old piezo cooler I could scavenge to make it work off 12V.

The Yeti 45 fits about the same as the RTIC 45. It's about 3" above the trunk floor. The RTIC 45 sticks out about 5" above the trunk floor. I also fit our RTIC 45 in a Y subtrunk it fit pretty much the same exact way. Neither coolers can be concealed in either the Y or 3. They don't stick out that much though some I'm kind of ok with it for temporary use like a camping trip (which I just did with our RTIC 45 and model 3). I think for more permanent use, I would get a Apicool 22, which should fit in the sub trunk with the cover on. We're planning on that for our future Y, especially since there's a 12v plug in the trunk.

• Love
Reactions: woolfe
The Yeti 45 fits about the same as the RTIC 45. It's about 3" above the trunk floor. The RTIC 45 sticks out about 5" above the trunk floor. I also fit our RTIC 45 in a Y subtrunk it fit pretty much the same exact way. Neither coolers can be concealed in either the Y or 3. They don't stick out that much though some I'm kind of ok with it for temporary use like a camping trip (which I just did with our RTIC 45 and model 3). I think for more permanent use, I would get a Apicool 22, which should fit in the sub trunk with the cover on. We're planning on that for our future Y, especially since there's a 12v plug in the trunk.
Thanks for following up! I think you might have trouble with the Alpicool 22, as its height is 13 inches, and the subtrunk is only 12.

The Alpicool 15 should work perfectly and fit with the floor cover on. The Alpicool 20 *might* work, but it's 1/2 inch too high. I just bought the 15 since I want the floor cover to close without wobbling. Here's what it looks like in the sub-trunk from a blog I found:
IMG_1226-930x620.jpg

Mine arrived today from Amazon. It's great! Only con is that you can't use the top-insert in the arm rest storage area, as the 12v adaptor is too long and blocks the thing from sitting right. More of a Tesla thing than Alpicool thing. Here's some pictures:

lanmkx.jpeg

oedrwz.jpeg
tszvsj.jpeg
aoesxa.jpeg

In all, a 15-16L storage is less than I originally wanted, but now I don't need to worry about ice and the volume that takes up inside the container.