Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have any driving impression from going from 21 to 18 inch wheels on Model Y P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't experienced exactly what you're asking, but I've dropped 2" in diameter on a Model S P85 (21" -> 19") and Model 3 Performance (20" -> 18"), as well as 1" on an ICE car for its winter snow setup (18" -> 17"). Always keeping approximately the same outer tire diameter, which I assume you'll be doing. I think we can extrapolate some from my experiences.

If you want to maintain sharp steering response and handling, it will be important to pick tires with very sturdy, responsive sidewalls. If your new tires' sidewalls are mushy, then you'll really feel it with the taller sidewalls. (Yes mushier tires will ride even smoother, but who cares when you're adding so much sidewall? You'll get a much smoother ride anyways even with very sturdy, responsive performance tires!)

Most ultra high performance, max performance, or extreme performance tires will have decently sturdy sidewalls, because if the sidewalls were to completely collapse under hard cornering, that'd probably not be good for grip (I think). However some are definitely sharper and more responsive than others!

On the Model S P85 I liked its OEM "max performance" tires but they weren't made in the right 19" size, so I went with a different tire in the same category. It was alright, but not as good, we did lose some grip and steering response. (However we didn't get any more cracked wheels so downsizing was still worthwhile. 😂)

On the Model 3 Performance its OEM tires (Pirelli PZ4, same as MYP maybe?) aren't very good, so I went with a different "max performance" tire in 18" and it is BETTER than the OEM 20" setup. More dry grip, more wet grip, no more squealing in hard driving, and no loss of steering response! Seriously these tires respond great even with the extra sidewall, even when right up against the limit in hard, fast cornering. Highway road noise went up slightly but not bad at all as performance tires go. (The OEM Pirellis were very quiet on the highway for a performance tire...but just didn't perform well!)

So to me the lesson is you CAN have good steering response with much taller sidewalls (M3P went from 235/35R20 -> 245/45R18), while getting all the other benefits of taller sidewalls + smaller wheels. Just try to avoid soft sidewalls - look for tires reported to have very responsive steering.

I haven't experienced exactly what you're asking, but I've dropped 2" in diameter on a Model S P85 (21" -> 19") and Model 3 Performance (20" -> 18"), as well as 1" on an ICE car for its winter snow setup (18" -> 17"). Always keeping approximately the same outer tire diameter, which I assume you'll be doing. I think we can extrapolate some from my experiences.

If you want to maintain sharp steering response and handling, it will be important to pick tires with very sturdy, responsive sidewalls. If your new tires' sidewalls are mushy, then you'll really feel it with the taller sidewalls. (Yes mushier tires will ride even smoother, but who cares when you're adding so much sidewall? You'll get a much smoother ride anyways even with very sturdy, responsive performance tires!)

Most ultra high performance, max performance, or extreme performance tires will have decently sturdy sidewalls, because if the sidewalls were to completely collapse under hard cornering, that'd probably not be good for grip (I think). However some are definitely sharper and more responsive than others!

On the Model S P85 I liked its OEM "max performance" tires but they weren't made in the right 19" size, so I went with a different tire in the same category. It was alright, but not as good, we did lose some grip and steering response. (However we didn't get any more cracked wheels so downsizing was still worthwhile. 😂)

On the Model 3 Performance its OEM tires (Pirelli PZ4, same as MYP maybe?) aren't very good, so I went with a different "max performance" tire in 18" and it is BETTER than the OEM 20" setup. More dry grip, more wet grip, no more squealing in hard driving, and no loss of steering response! Seriously these tires respond great even with the extra sidewall, even when right up against the limit in hard, fast cornering. Highway road noise went up slightly but not bad at all as performance tires go. (The OEM Pirellis were very quiet on the highway for a performance tire...but just didn't perform well!)

So to me the lesson is you CAN have good steering response with much taller sidewalls (M3P went from 235/35R20 -> 245/45R18), while getting all the other benefits of taller sidewalls + smaller wheels. Just try to avoid soft sidewalls - look for tires reported to have very responsive steering.
Thanks for the reply. Very informative. The MYP does use PZ4. I have about 50% tread life, so I don't need them but they are having 10% off with free shipping from Tsportline. Right now, the setup is fine on the highway but on the streets it seems I have a solid axle car. I am afraid the car won't survive the streets.

Thanks for the reply. Very informative. The MYP does use PZ4. I have about 50% tread life, so I don't need them but they are having 10% off with free shipping from Tsportline. Right now, the setup is fine on the highway but on the streets it seems I have a solid axle car. I am afraid the car won't survive the streets.
@norcalbowler94 The car will probably survive, but the wheels might not. ;) I see you're in SF, some of those streets are better tackled with a Jeep or moon buggy than a Tesla. I think downsizing would be worthwhile!

Now whether 18" or 19" would feel better for MYP, that I'm really not sure. On our M3P 18" feels fantastic but that's with a smaller tire diameter.

Here's what happened to our stock Model S 21x8.5" with 245/35R21 tire from just driving normally down a particularly nasty stretch of road. It's just not enough sidewall IMO. I had to really argue with Tesla to replace that wheel under goodwill. Probably couldn't get them to these days.

cracked_wheel_tesla_model_s.jpg

@norcalbowler94 The car will probably survive, but the wheels might not. ;) I see you're in SF, some of those streets are better tackled with a Jeep or moon buggy than a Tesla. I think downsizing would be worthwhile!

Now whether 18" or 19" would feel better for MYP, that I'm really not sure. On our M3P 18" feels fantastic but that's with a smaller tire diameter.

Here's what happened to our stock Model S 21x8.5" with 245/35R21 tire from just driving normally down a particularly nasty stretch of road. It's just not enough sidewall IMO. I had to really argue with Tesla to replace that wheel under goodwill. Probably couldn't get them to these days.

View attachment 848397
Wow! Good thing it was replaced. Luckily, I haven't ran into a big pothole but it's only a matter of time. The rear of the MYP sounds like an old pickup truck when going over a series of uneven road and bumps. I have a SC appointment to have the look at the rattles and check the suspension.

A jeep owner may be hitting their head on the headliner going over the bumps we have here.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2