Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Have Any Experience With Michelin Crossclimate+ Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ArcticStation

Supporting Member
Oct 10, 2018
Maine
I'm doing some advance planning for replacement tires for my Model 3 LR RWD. Michelin Crossclimate+ sound like a good compromise for my configuration (RWD), area (Maine) and driving style (conservative). I have an eight year old ICE "beater" equipped with Michelin X-Ice 3s that I use for most winter driving, but I do drive the Tesla in winter on occasion. I have not found any reviews of this tire mounted on an EV. Thoughts?

i just got them for my pd3- 18"

i think they handle better than OEM but the ride is much louder and definitely not as smooth. doing it all over again, i'd probably get the OEM but i do like the handling a lot. especially in the turns.

One of these days I will follow up with my more extended impressions. I’m comparing to PS4S though. They definitely do not handle as well as those! ;)

• Informative
Reactions: ArcticStation
I have written up my experience with my CrossClimate+ 235/45R18 XL 98Y tires on my Tesla Model 3 here, with pics, and a video with some basic sound level before/after measurements.
featured.png

I'm doing some advance planning for replacement tires for my Model 3 LR RWD. Michelin Crossclimate+ sound like a good compromise for my configuration (RWD), area (Maine) and driving style (conservative). I have an eight year old ICE "beater" equipped with Michelin X-Ice 3s that I use for most winter driving, but I do drive the Tesla in winter on occasion. I have not found any reviews of this tire mounted on an EV. Thoughts?
I saw a range hit of a good 8% unfortunately as they are not an energy saver tire.

I saw a range hit of a good 8% unfortunately as they are not an energy saver tire.

Early on, range anxiety was a concern for me as well and an 8% loss would have been unacceptable. However, well into my second winter with the car, I have learned that my LR RWD has plenty of range for all the driving I do. Most of my driving is in the local area with daily trips of less than fifty miles, so charging at home has worked very well for us. When we do hit the road, interstate travel and exploring Maine's back roads in very cold weather with the heat set at 70 degrees has not been a problem. All it takes is a little advance planning to make optimum use of en-route superchargers and a willingness to frequent restaurants and hotels with on-site or nearby Level 2 charging stations when a Supercharger is unavailable. For me, an 8% loss in range will not be an issue day-to-day and I don't anticipate that it will be a show stopper on trips. However, I might feel differently if I didn't have that big battery sitting under me.

How certain are you that your use pattern is the same?
Crossclimates are ranked pretty high on rolling resistance charts. It's possible that OEM MXM4's are much lower rolling resistance than replacement generic MXM4. But 8% hit would mean crossclimates are at least 16% higher in rolling resistance than OEMs, which seems a little large.
1580298806730-png.32030

Crossclimates are ranked pretty high on rolling resistance charts. It's possible that OEM MXM4's are much lower rolling resistance than replacement generic MXM4. But 8% hit would mean crossclimates are at least 16% higher in rolling resistance than OEMs, which seems a little large.
1580298806730-png.32030
I am fairly certain as the watts/miles were up noticeably on a common 800 mile trip we take to my son’s which is virtually all interstate with the cruise set at speed limit +2.

1580298806730-png.32030
Oh, interesting. I bought the Vredesteins to replace my OEM tires. So far so good, but I had no idea they also had very low rolling resistance.

It is a mixed bag of results when looking for rolling resistance info. Even within Consumer Reports.

They give CrossClimate+ top rating here:
Michelin CrossClimate + tire - Consumer Reports

They give good (compared with Vredestein Quatrac 5 - Excellent) rolling resistance indication here:
Tire Ratings & Reviews - Consumer Reports
consumer-reports-crossclimate-plus-350x482.png

The CrossClimate+ is not that high up in their handy graph pictured originally posted by dsgerbc, source article at Consumer Reports here:
Low-Rolling-Resistance Tires Can Save You Money at the Pump

Anyhow, to really be able to compare more easily, it would have been helpful if they had included the Michelin Primacy MXM4 OEM 18" tires that come standard on Model 3 on that handy Rolling Resistance chart.
1580298806730-png.32030
[/QUOTE]
1580298806730-png.32030

[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Reactions: KenC
Thanks to all for your replies along with referrals to related threads. Based in your inputs and some additional research, I went ahead and put CrossClimates on last week. (The +, not the recently released 2, which is unavailable in load/speed range specified for the Model 3). We'll see how they do in a Maine winter. My hope is that they will do well enough so I can forgo the annual tire swap. I'm not too concerned because I can always fall back to my faithful, nine year old X-ice equipped hybrid beater if the CrossClimates don't cut it,

Thanks to all for your replies along with referrals to related threads. Based in your inputs and some additional research, I went ahead and put CrossClimates on last week. (The +, not the recently released 2, which is unavailable in load/speed range specified for the Model 3). We'll see how they do in a Maine winter. My hope is that they will do well enough so I can forgo the annual tire swap. I'm not too concerned because I can always fall back to my faithful, nine year old X-ice equipped hybrid beater if the CrossClimates don't cut it,

Any update? I'm also considering CrossClimates for the Model Y. Thanks in advance.

The previous owner of my car put CrossClimates on my 2018 LR AWD. Since that's all I've known I can't comment on efficiency compared to the MXM4. Seems to drive fine, no issues with handling, etc. I had MXM4 as the OEM tire on my Lexus CT200h and that was the lowest RR tire I had found for that car and known to be the lowest on the CT200h forum as well. I dropped about 2 mpg when I swapped from those to a cheaper Hankook Ventus tire, but given that the set of 4 was $300 cheaper, I think it was a wash.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sudsington
Any update? I'm also considering CrossClimates for the Model Y. Thanks in advance.
I am very happy with the Cross Climate +. FAR superior to OEM 18s except for efficiency. I saw around 10% loss of range before the cold weather hit, but the improvements in handling and ride were immediate and dramatic and, in my opinion, these enhancements far outweigh any loss of range. Performance in snow/ice is acceptable. Cross Climates on our Model 3 are not as impressive as my Michelin X-Ice equipped ten year old hybrid "beater", but they are far, far better than the OEM MXM4s I put up with through two Maine winters. If you are like me and hate the bi-annual tire/wheel change ritual, then the Cross Climate + is a reasonable choice. But if you want the best tire for severe, months long winter driving, the best way to go is a dedicated winter tire. I am lucky to have both options available.

• Informative
Hang in there, I think you'll find that the range hit gets to under 5% after roughly 3,000 of break-in, which is essentially what a Michelin representative told me to expect. Like many, my wife isn't a fan of the twice per year tire change routine, these tires have proven to be a good compromise, and we've had to drive my AWD on a fair amount of snow pack this winter, they worked much better in snow than any other car we've ever owned, including a 1990 Honda Civic EX with snow tires, living in Ithaca NY with 8% grades, where we drove on snow pack for 30 to 90 days per winter.

I love this forum thread, so packed with the useful information I was hoping to find before I carefully shopped for and then bought my 18" CrossClimate+ tires!

• Informative