Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have experience supercharging a warm battery in cold weather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm hoping a Model 3 owner can answer a question for me, which I unfortunately haven't been able to find a direct answer to (as I still don't own an electric car, but am in line for a Model 3).

I've seen many counts of annoyed owners charging depleted, cold-soaked batteries at superchargers, only to see that what would normally take 20 minutes might take 90. Often this might be after leaving them in the cold, unplugged, over many days or nights.

My question is this: If I were to have the car plugged into a level 2 charger at home (or level 1 elsewhere), had the car pre-condition itself while plugged in (battery and interior), then drive a distance of 200KMs (124 miles) or so, in the cold (say, -10C (14F)) to a supercharger...would the battery still charge slowly, or would it charge at a speed expected by the supercharger? Basically I'm hoping that from the pre-condition to direct use to charger would eliminate the concern of a cold-soaked battery, as using it would keep it warm, right?

Under your scenario, The battery would charge normally. I have personally found that it takes 1.5 hours on the included 40AMP charger to start charging the normal rate when outside temps were 0F. Once the battery was warm, it charged normally. When arriving at the supercharger immediately after driving for at least 1.5 hours, the battery will also be warm and charges normally.

Under your scenario, The battery would charge normally. I have personally found that it takes 1.5 hours on the included 40AMP charger to start charging the normal rate when outside temps were 0F. Once the battery was warm, it charged normally. When arriving at the supercharger immediately after driving for at least 1.5 hours, the battery will also be warm and charges normally.

Perfect, that was one of my main concerns about electric ownership. Thank you kindly