Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have experience with tire plug kits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am thinking about buying a kit like this: Dynaplug Tubeless Tire Repair Tool Kit, Aluminum Pro Xtreme, Made in USA
I never trust reviews so I was wondering if anyone here has experience with using one? From the reviews some people say they need to use several plugs and it still leaks. That is my only concern. Seems like it could be handy if you get a flat without a spare in the car.

I have that one, and it is what seems like a quality product. I say seems, because, knock on wood, I haven’t had to use it. It sat in the frunk of my 911 for a couple of years, and when I got my Model 3P I transferred it to the new car. I hope it sits unused for a few more years, and hope that if you get one, it sits unused as well.

I bought this one and used it a couple times with good success. It is very good, you can get it on Amazon as well.

Reactions: KenC
I bought this one and used it a couple times with good success. It is very good, you can get it on Amazon as well.
Yeah I checked that one out too. Have you actually had to use it yet?

I looked at that as well as the Dynoplug, but when I was shopping for one, it was for my 911 and space was at a premium, so that’s why i went with the Dynplug. That may be a better option, and at least the Model 3 has plenty of storage space.

Yeah I checked that one out too. Have you actually had to use it yet?
Yep, twice with great results. I plugged them both with the tire on the car. Pretty simple, just pull out the existing nail, screw, etc. Use the reaming tool to make the hole the right size for the plug, load a plug in the gun, let most of the air out of the tire so it is a bit easier to fire the plug into the tire, jam the nozzle of the gun in the hole and pull the trigger. Bam, it fires the plug in there and the mushroom head of the plug opens and seals it up. You pull up on the stem a bit incase there is any slack, fill the tire with air and then razor blade off the excess. I used these as permanent plugs until the tires needed to be replaced, never lost any air.

• Informative
Reactions: BDV300 and KenC
The kit I keep in the trunk and have used is the Safety Seal. I’ve used it 3 times, once on the side of the highway and it has gotten me home when I took a chunk of metal shaving to the shoulder of my tire. Fortunately it was on the outer shoulder of the wheel so I didn’t have to use a jack or lug wrench. The most important part IMO is the insertion tool. It can take some effort to push the plug in…and having an insertion tool that’s strong and sturdy makes it easier. I carry the tire plug kit, needle nose plier, air compressor, jack and blanket.…and if all else fails AAA card lol.

Reactions: JoJa15
Not much use if your tire is flat? You going to carry an air compressor as well?

If a slow leak, OK, catch it in time if possible and then get to a compressor after plugging it.

This seems like something that would be useful only in one real scenario, it is starting to go down slowly and you catch it so it is drivable. Then, get to a place to add air and have it patched properly.

These can work, and are helpful for a temporary fix, but are also know to sometimes work themselves back out after a while. I've had it happen myself.

Not much use if your tire is flat? You going to carry an air compressor as well?

If a slow leak, OK, catch it in time if possible and then get to a compressor after plugging it.

This seems like something that would be useful only in one real scenario, it is starting to go down slowly and you catch it so it is drivable. Then, get to a place to add air and have it patched properly.
I carry a compressor in my car for these kinds of situations. It is not a big deal around town but when I go on road trips sometimes I am out in the middle of no where and would hate to get stuck.

I carry a compressor too- they're cheap, light, and small.
Do you carry a jack and lug wrench also? If not, what is your plan when you can't get to the hole with the tire on the car? That's what I'm realizing is the issue with what I carry.
Yes, I have the spare tire kit. I forget the company but they have a spare tire kit for the Tesla. I do not want to carry the tire all the time though (only road trips). The patch kit is for around town and road trips in case I get more than one puncture. The spare tire kit comes with a jack and wrench.

I used the kit from autozone (about 15 dollars) to patch many tires including a tire on my model 3. No need to take the tire off. Same kit my local gas station uses. No leaks after 1 year. i average 2 a year here in construction crazy Florida. carry a compressor to pump tire back up when you get a low tire pressure warning or to get car to a service center. compressor is more important than kit

Reactions: JoJa15
I used the kit from autozone (about 15 dollars) to patch many tires including a tire on my model 3. No need to take the tire off. Same kit my local gas station uses. No leaks after 1 year. i average 2 a year here in construction crazy Florida. carry a compressor to pump tire back up when you get a low tire pressure warning or to get car to a service center. compressor is more important than kit
What does the kit look like? Is it where you remove nail, ream hole, take a long string of rubber, fold it in half and push through hole? Or is it the one with mushroom plugs?

It never fails to amaze me how overly complicated people can make things - I always try to remember that whenever I start getting hyped-up on car stuff. Maybe I'm missing something, but I bought something like this...

many many years ago, used it several times, and literally has outlasted the tire every single time.

Reactions: gearchruncher
It never fails to amaze me how overly complicated people can make things - I always try to remember that whenever I start getting hyped-up on car stuff. Maybe I'm missing something, but I bought something like this...
Harbor freight carries these too for $5. Same as you, probably used them 10X over 15+ years, never had an issue. I like the HF one also includes/uses rubber glue. It's what I carry in all my cars. Never tried to do one with the wheel still on the car though, which was a new realization for modern cars with no spares.

Of course, the internet is full of "the only way to repair a tire is from the inside" stuff that scares people off and leads them down all these other paths.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy