Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have experience with tire plug kits?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Harbor freight carries these too for $5. Same as you, probably used them 10X over 15+ years, never had an issue. I like the HF one also includes/uses rubber glue. It's what I carry in all my cars. Never tried to do one with the wheel still on the car though, which was a new realization for modern cars with no spares.

Of course, the internet is full of "the only way to repair a tire is from the inside" stuff that scares people off and leads them down all these other paths.
I am down with the plug kit. There are just so many different variations I was trying to figure out which kit was the best based on people actually using them.

I think this is the kit you are talking about: Harbor Freight Tire plug kit

I don't trust the ones that can dry out, since I live in the freaking desert. Had a bad experience with one, but my riding buddy (it was on a motorcycle that time) fortunately had his Stop'nGo kit, and it worked like a charm. So that's what I bought since then. It uses rubber mushrooms, so they never go bad... or at least they last WAY longer than any other system IMO. Anyway, I only had to use it once on an M3 V8, about 10 years after I bought it, and it worked perfectly. Well, the first plug failed about 100 miles later, but it was my fault for not ramming the hole much better (radial belts cut off the mushroom's head). But when I did that, it lasted over 300 miles, so got me home safely, even in 100F+ heat, and up to 75 mph. That's what I've carried on my vehicles and motorcycles for decades. Oh, but on the bikes I carry CO2 cartridges, and on the vehicles, 12V compressors.

I am thinking about buying a kit like this: Dynaplug Tubeless Tire Repair Tool Kit, Aluminum Pro Xtreme, Made in USA
I never trust reviews so I was wondering if anyone here has experience with using one? From the reviews some people say they need to use several plugs and it still leaks. That is my only concern. Seems like it could be handy if you get a flat without a spare in the car.
It seems impressive, no glue necessary, replaceable tips, plugs have integral tip. However, I never used it.

I've used quite a few different tire repair kits, they all worked. However, the first issues is the metal at the tip on some of the insertion tools may soften after repeated repairs, and the second is the reamer may wear, (this was after many years).

In any case, plugging a tire may require considerable force to push through the belt with the reamer. The better this is done the easier it will be to insert the plug (maybe practiced on an old tire after drilling through it with a small bit). Make sure you have a pump to repalce the air. Finally buy a pair of needle nose pliers with handles large enough to get enough leverage to remove what's penetrated the tire.

• Helpful
Reactions: JoJa15
It seems impressive, no glue necessary, replaceable tips, plugs have integral tip. However, I never used it.

I've used quite a few different tire repair kits, they all worked. However, the first issues is the metal at the tip on some of the insertion tools may soften after repeated repairs, and the second is the reamer may wear, (this was after many years).

In any case, plugging a tire may require considerable force to push through the belt with the reamer. The better this is done the easier it will be to insert the plug (maybe practiced on an old tire after drilling through it with a small bit). Make sure you have a pump to repalce the air. Finally buy a pair of needle nose pliers with handles large enough to get enough leverage to remove what's penetrated the tire.
Thanks! The idea about practicing on another tire is great. I think I have a spare old tire I can work on. Would be nice to know how much force to use and practice the technique before having to do it on the side of the road.

Thanks! The idea about practicing on another tire is great. I think I have a spare old tire I can work on. Would be nice to know how much force to use and practice the technique before having to do it on the side of the road.
Tire pressure will make inserting the tool more difficult. Also rotate the tire so you can easily apply force, and make sure the tire will not rotate.

The problem with these standard tire plugs is how much force is needed to push through the hole to insert the plug. This can be a bear when laying down on the ground pushing with all your might. Reaming the hole as much as you can does help but only so much. I may now consider the Gun.

Reactions: raptor5244
I carry a compressor in my car for these kinds of situations. It is not a big deal around town but when I go on road trips sometimes I am out in the middle of no where and would hate to get stuck.
Exactly. When you pull the object out and if the tire isn’t too far gone, and can quickly jam the tool in the hole to stop the air etc… maybe you have a shot. But without a compressor. I don’t see how it will work since you have to take the object out and it will really start to go flat before you could plug it? Compressor is required or run flats. Which many probably don’t want that. Carry a donut spare in the trunk? IDK. AAA!?!

The problem with these standard tire plugs is how much force is needed to push through the hole to insert the plug. This can be a bear when laying down on the ground pushing with all your might. Reaming the hole as much as you can does help but only so much. I may now consider the Gun.
The Tire Plugger gun solved this problem. You actually should let some of the air out of the tire to relieve some of the pressure and make it easier. The gun works pretty well. It has a metal nozzle, just insert, keep it flush and pull the trigger, done. Fill it up and cut off the excess stem.

Reactions: Darmie
The Tire Plugger gun solved this problem. You actually should let some of the air out of the tire to relieve some of the pressure and make it easier. The gun works pretty well. It has a metal nozzle, just insert, keep it flush and pull the trigger, done. Fill it up and cut off the excess stem.
Thank you. I'm all in but dang this thing is expensive. Thanks for the update. Checking them out now.

The kit I keep in the trunk and have used is the Safety Seal. I’ve used it 3 times, once on the side of the highway and it has gotten me home when I took a chunk of metal shaving to the shoulder of my tire. Fortunately it was on the outer shoulder of the wheel so I didn’t have to use a jack or lug wrench. The most important part IMO is the insertion tool. It can take some effort to push the plug in…and having an insertion tool that’s strong and sturdy makes it easier. I carry the tire plug kit, needle nose plier, air compressor, jack and blanket.…and if all else fails AAA card lol.
I second Safety Seal. Used it all the time working at my uncle's gas station 20 years ago while in college. Recently picked up a kit for myself and the design doesn't seem to have changed one bit and for good reason. I've broken other plug kit tools fixing tires.

So I’ve been swearing by tire plug kits for a long time. I had one that started leaking about 6 months after I plugged it.

I took it to Costco, discount tire, and a local small shop. None of them would touch it since it had already been patched.

From now on, I’ll only consider in an emergency.