Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have GAP insurance? If so...where did you get it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the non-US folks, Gap insurance pays off if your car is totaled in a crash and normal insurance pays less than you owe on the loan. (My understanding! :D)

Oh I see... I thought it was something to do with the difference in the car’s value at the end of a lease vs the expected value around which a balloon payment was calculated. I appreciate your explanation; it’s simpler than I thought. Cheers!

-Alex

Yes, as a $500 option with my credit union loan.

Notable value add in this particular case is it includes unlimited coverage of any insurance deductibles up to $1000 for any cars registered to me -- not just the Tesla (so I can keep my insurance deductibles for collision and comprehensive at $1000 without any out of pocket expense if I need to make a claim).

gap insurance is a joke

if you have a small down payment, have decent credit and take a reasonable loan term you would never need it

if the car is ever totaled by insurance company that # is negotiable. gap insurance is only covering any difference

it's up there with payday advances................

gap insurance is a joke

if you have a small down payment, have decent credit and take a reasonable loan term you would never need it

if the car is ever totaled by insurance company that # is negotiable. gap insurance is only covering any difference

it's up there with payday advances................
Did you mean to say that you wouldn’t need it if you had a large down payment rather than a small one?

To me, GAP insurance is a great value in that it does cover the difference between what the insurance company will pay you and what you owe on the loan. This is especially important early on in the life of the loan where one takes a good depreciation hit on the car. And mine, as other policies as well, will cover up to a $1000 deductible on my collision coverage. So, to me it’s a no brainer. For $400 the cost of the GAP policy it’ll pay for itself in the event I need it.

What Is Gap Insurance Coverage for Cars - Is It Worth It?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dmagyar
How much out of pocket without gap insurance to replace with a car of similar age and condition to the one that was totaled ?
Not sure I understand your question referencing my post. But as an example:

1. Loan of 60K taken in 2018 for a 60K car
2. In 2019 that car is worth (assuming a 20% depreciation) 50K
3. If car is totaled in 2019 (depending on term of loan and payments, etc. one could easily be “upside” down on the loan.

I also have replacement cost from my auto insurance (I realize I’m duplicating coverage) for the first 2 or 3 years from purchase.