Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have issues with Backup Camera going black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened once about a month ago and once a couple months prior on my 1/18 3. Until it progresses further I decided not to take to service center.

I did have a similar problem with my S and it did eventually require service. I know they replaced rear camera but I can't recall if that was the entire fix.

Mine does it sometimes. Usually I can put the car in park and go back to reverse and it works or play with the backup camera "button" and get it to work. It seems like a software glitch since it doesn't happen that often.

Yep... had it happen last week for one day... black screen with white steering lines. I made an appointment with S.C. and a rep called me... pushed the lates software and have not had repeat.
It requires reloading software. I as the same issue w the Ranger who told me it would happen when he disconnected power. He resent me the software and it worked right away. He said it is a known bug that is being evaluated now.

2019.5.4. consistently the backup video take 2 seconds to go from black to video. Sometimes I'm already moving as I say eff it and not sure if it was.still timing or the act of moving. I have not tried rebooting.

2019.5.4. consistently the backup video take 2 seconds to go from black to video. Sometimes I'm already moving as I say eff it and not sure if it was.still timing or the act of moving. I have not tried rebooting.

Sometime it takes more than 2 seconds on 5.4. On 5.15, it rarely takes more than 2 seconds. I think if you turn off damcam, the blank screen goes away completely. I think the added side cameras did something to introduce the blank rear camera screen. My guess is that when writing the 1 min files from car's memory to the USB drive, it used to only write 30MB per min, now it is doing 90MB (3x). Maybe if you go Reverse in the middle of a write, it has to wait or something not sure.

Since my 5.15 update, when I flip the reverse mode right stalk, there is a longer delay to activate camera; approximately 2-3 seconds. When I use the monitor to activate rear facing camera, my screen goes black for approximately 4-5 seconds, before the camera is active. The previous software version on my Model 3 seem to “work better” or activate the camera much more quickly.
Anyone else experiencing the same or similar?

Since my 5.15 update, when I flip the reverse mode right stalk, there is a longer delay to activate camera; approximately 2-3 seconds. When I use the monitor to activate rear facing camera, my screen goes black for approximately 4-5 seconds, before the camera is active. The previous software version on my Model 3 seem to “work better” or activate the camera much more quickly.
Anyone else experiencing the same or similar?
Yes I have noticed something similar when going into reverse - will make a point of using the monitor to activate the rear camera to see if I get the same delay behavior. Suspect I will.

SR+ owner here. My backup camera was flickering between color shades the other day, but was suddenly fine when out of reverse and activated separately. This morning the camera went black the entire time backing up, but again worked fine when activated separately in drive. Definitely frustrating as it's not easy to see in my parking garage.

Yes I have noticed something similar when going into reverse - will make a point of using the monitor to activate the rear camera to see if I get the same delay behavior. Suspect I will.
The camera (on-off) usually works and cycling through (reverse to drive back to reverse) seems to do the trick. I just chatted with Tesla online and they recommend scroll-wheel reboot and if problem persists, then it may be Tesla service appointment time :-/. Hoping for the best- we'll see in the next few days, if the camera works like it's supposed and used to. Other than that, my M3DM is working & running fine!

This happens to me, now it seems more often with 5.15. Before it would be black or a second and go to normal. Now it happens more often and stays black for longer times. Lets see what happens. Also once screen went black (Rebooted) while i was driving. No i did not have both scroll wheels pressed. Weird, car was still doing its thing on autopilot.