Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have issues with their insurance for a Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have Geico because they are extremely cheap. They used to be partnered with Navy Fed and im paying for 2 cars (Tesla + Equinox) what it costs to get Tesla Insurance. But I have read that they are denying claims. It seems like its mostly OTHER party claims and not Primary party. But it still has me concerned. Has anyone had to file any insurance claims and have had smooth sailing from them?

We had our auto and home insurance through The Hartford. After I received my VIN for the Tesla in August, I went to add it to my auto policy through their web site. They recognized the VIN correctly but came back with an annual premium of $8,200 for a 2022 M3 LR! We are both low risk drivers. I tried submitting the VIN again and got the same result. I called their customer service and was told they don’t insure Teslas. I asked why and the person said they are too much of a risk. I couldn’t get anymore than that out of her.

I ended up going with State Farm and moved the home and auto policies to them. The premium for the Tesla was what I expected to pay for a new car in the price range.

Reactions: GeoG
So I have Geico because they are extremely cheap. They used to be partnered with Navy Fed and im paying for 2 cars (Tesla + Equinox) what it costs to get Tesla Insurance. But I have read that they are denying claims. It seems like its mostly OTHER party claims and not Primary party. But it still has me concerned. Has anyone had to file any insurance claims and have had smooth sailing from them?
No, but I removed both my Tesla's from Geico and went with Tesla insurance. Geico wanted $180 a month and I have 789 credit score and excellent driving record for 30 years. Tesla is a variable rate per how you drive, but I'm paying $74 to $86 a month now.

No, but I removed both my Tesla's from Geico and went with Tesla insurance. Geico wanted $180 a month and I have 789 credit score and excellent driving record for 30 years. Tesla is a variable rate per how you drive, but I'm paying $74 to $86 a month now.
I have 2 cars on Geico, including the Tesla, and paying 170. Tesla insurance wants 150

I have 2 cars on Geico, including the Tesla, and paying 170. Tesla insurance wants 150
Wow, thats the complete opposite for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221006-161406_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221006-161406_Tesla.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 344
Wow, thats the complete opposite for me.

I JUST got the car so I think that has to do with it. I have 600 miles but it was mostly on AP, I didnt realize that if you do a 60 mile drive on AP, but 5 mile drive where you disengage and and end up following too close, it will only count that. So ive been trying to drive without AP and getting 100s. Its currently at 88. I think the major thing was my first attempt at AP and I didnt even see the hand notification before I wasnt used to it and it disengaged on me. So that seems like a big strike. Ill probably reapply once it goes up.

Edit: Nvm found out Safety Score has no affect on California insurance so its just high cause its California.

Last edited:
I JUST got the car so I think that has to do with it. I have 600 miles but it was mostly on AP, I didnt realize that if you do a 60 mile drive on AP, but 5 mile drive where you disengage and and end up following too close, it will only count that. So ive been trying to drive without AP and getting 100s. Its currently at 88. I think the major thing was my first attempt at AP and I didnt even see the hand notification before I wasnt used to it and it disengaged on me. So that seems like a big strike. Ill probably reapply once it goes up.

Edit: Nvm found out Safety Score has no affect on California insurance so its just high cause its California.
I learned the hard way as well. AP in traffic will give you all sorts of alarms on the " forward collision warning" and will bring your score down dramatically. So I stopped as well because I had to pay around $120 that month.
Thats weird because my Insurance was less expensive in California than in Arizona.

My only issue was that I have multiple none Tesla vehicles including a truck and they won’t cover them; I would have to have another insurance company for the others 😬 Not doing that.. 😂🤣

I had geico and had to file a vandalism claim, talking about headache, one tesla don't take checks, geico wants to pay for repairs by check, No tesla authorize body shops within 100miles, Maybe 200 besides tesla location. Geico telling me it has to be a tesla cert location only. But none avaliable. Then they send me another check with my name and Tesla. So they telling me it has to be two party so I choose my finance company and me. Tesla repaired my car for 3400. Geico estimated $1780.. $250 Deductible. Geico proclaim they only pay certain body labor rate which Tesla don't even come close too. Well argument arguments and letter in mail and geico canceled my full coverage and told me I could have liability with them.

I had geico and had to file a vandalism claim, talking about headache, one tesla don't take checks, geico wants to pay for repairs by check, No tesla authorize body shops within 100miles, Maybe 200 besides tesla location. Geico telling me it has to be a tesla cert location only. But none avaliable. Then they send me another check with my name and Tesla. So they telling me it has to be two party so I choose my finance company and me. Tesla repaired my car for 3400. Geico estimated $1780.. $250 Deductible. Geico proclaim they only pay certain body labor rate which Tesla don't even come close too. Well argument arguments and letter in mail and geico canceled my full coverage and told me I could have liability with them.
Thank you for this. I have heard of issues with other people filing on Geico , but not primary holders. I think its better to get out of Geico before something happens.

I have Geico ad well; But I live in SoCal and got a few Tesla service centers nearby; about $1400 for the windshield ($500 deductible) the best of luck.

I still have Geico coverage on my GMC Sierra, Toyota corolla, Kia Forte and my home.

Reactions: Msicario
Oh, Yes- I have issues

Instead of reimbursing me $1095 for a legitimate windshield replacement (in Aug) as promised, Tesla simply charged my credit card and Tesla Insurance didn't blink.
I have been calling multiple numbers at Tesla Insurance over a few days, including the mysterious claim adjuster, NO BODY PICKES UP MY CALL, NOR RETURN MY MESSAGES.

Before you decide on signing for Tesla Insurance, remember- they are very good at at taking your premium on time, but when you need to talk to a human being none is available. So consider others.

Thought I would be pleased but I'm in a catch-22. I have insurance at a reasonable cost but my rates go up if I use Traffic Aware Cruise. Phantom braking has improved but still occurs. Every time it does, my profile is changed to reflect another instance of hard braking and my premium is increased. Wish I had never left my USAA policy.

I have turned my Safety Score into a game...seeing how safe I can drive...

Not as easy as you think as Tesla dings for Unsafe Following (so everyone has room to cut in,) and even mildly hard braking....

Guess which say my wife's car was in the shop. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221202_182945_Tesla.jpg
    Screenshot_20221202_182945_Tesla.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20221202_184228_Tesla (1).jpg
    Screenshot_20221202_184228_Tesla (1).jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 134
Last edited: