TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone have problem where car thinks key is still in KeySwitch?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by bobinfla, Mar 22, 2016.

1. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

Recently my car has started to intermittently think the key is still in the Key Switch after I've removed it.

Normal operation would be that when when the key is pulled out from the ignition the lights and radio would turn off and the car would now be "off". Currently, the electronics are sometimes staying on, even though the key has been removed, and if the door is opened I get the "Door is open with Key in KeySwitch" message. The biggest issues are that if the key is in the ignition (or if the car thinks it is), it will not let you charge, and will not let you lock it. Those could be very bad things.

This has only been intermittent (so far), and my solution has been to put the key back in and take it out. Sometimes requires several attempts until it takes. When the key comes out correctly for the car to recognize it, there is a "firmer click" to it (don't know how else to describe it).

Has anyone else ever run across this type of problem? If so, how quickly did it take to get worse, and what did the solution end up being? Wondering how big an emergency this is to get it to the SC.

Thanks in advance.

2. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

Try some graphite lock lube in the cylinder. The lock pops outward about 1/8 inch when you remove the key and releases the switch on the backside of the cylinder. Work it numerous times after a good shot of graphite and you should be all set. You can usually push on the lock cylinder with the key out to get it to pop out without reinserting the key.

3. hjr

hjr #1291

Hi Bob:
    I have had this problem also. Tesla service lubricated the cylinder and it was fine for about a year, and then started again.
    If it happens and you want to be sure the car is off, just push the cylinder in a few times to see if the spring will return it far enough to get of the button inside the lock..

4. bobinfla

bobinfla S-Vin 4086 Rdstr-Vin 0019

Thanks for the tips and explaining about the button inside the lock. After being squirrelly for about a week, the problem magically disappeared by itself and hasn't reoccurred for the past week. Will pick up some graphite lube to keep on hand in case it returns.