TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Anyone have RV Fridge/Freezer in new smaller Frunk?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by jchag, Feb 11, 2017.

1. jchag

jchag Member

I would like to add a RV Fridge/Freezer to the frunk of my 2016 MS. Anyone have one that is a good fit?

2. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

If you don't find one that meets the frunk needs, we use a portable wheeled cooler that is too tall for the frunk (and I don't really want to splice 12V wires) so we carry it in the back seat, where its 12V plug has plenty of room to reach the receptacle in front. It's actually too tall for even the rear trunk with the package shelf installed. It has the advantage of easily taking it into a hotel room and plugging in to a normal circuit overnight. However, no freezer.

3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I doubt there is enough air space in there for one to work. It requires moving the heat out of the box and having a heat exchange with the air outside the box, then that air being carried away and replaced by cooler air. The small, sealed (somewhat) area of the small frunk would just heat the air around the box and then cease to be able to cool.

4. jchag

jchag Member

Your right, didnt think of that

5. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

• Funny x 1
  6. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

This is an old fashioned ice chest (no power), but I did find one that fit perfectly under the floor panel in the back.

7. Haxster

Haxster Member

IMO, the best way for this to be done is for Tesla (or an aftermarket company) to offer an option for an expandable (collapse when you don't need all of it's capacity) refrigerator/ice box in one of the trunks.

It would be plumbed into the cars existing A/C refrigerant lines. With the huge main battery in the car, it could even run when the car's off, when needed. Great for those frozen items from Costco or the market that may need to sit in a hot car for many hours. No need to rush home!

8. jchag

jchag Member

Exactly why I want one, Now im thinking of one that can be stored in frunk when not in use and pulled out and placed in vehicle when needed.

9. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

How about just insulating/waterproffing the frunk liner and hood? Then just use the frunk as a cooler.