Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have solar other than Tesla solar?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I've called Sunrun, I get someone on the phone right away. Getting Tech out does take a bit because they are so busy installing.
Well, that doesn't sound much different than Tesla. And if they're so busy installing, why can't they get their worthless asses out to fix systems that THEY ALREADY INSTALLED and ARE UNDER WARRANTY?

Eager to take your money, and even more eager to ignore you after they have it.

Fun looking at all these. The solar, grid tied system here, all 9 kW of it (7.8 kW max output) went in in 2008. Trinity Solar, who’re active in the NE. Inverters by the late, lamented PV Powered, but they’re still going strong with no faults or breakages along the way. No batteries, since nothing other than lead-acid was available at the time. Put up on newish construction on all of the south-facing roof, so haven’t actually needed a re-roofing yet, since the panels more or less protect the roof.

It’s all paid for itself by now. And it makes the cost of zipping across the landscape in the two Teslas pretty close, but not quite zero 😁.

Took out a home improvement loan to pay for it but, once we figured we had the free cash, closed out the loan and avoided the interest charges.

Reactions: JimBob 909
When you buy your own system, you qualify for local, state and Fed tax credits. If you lease or PPA those credits go directly to the company instead of you.

Depending on your climate, consider getting a Quiet Cool whole house fan prior to calculating Solar needs. You may be able to get away with a far smaller number of panels and save some more $$$.

I just got quoted $39k for 10.4 kw system in Virginia. Does it sound normal or high in terms of price?
Not sure about the price in Virginia but compare to California it seems very high to me. I got mine 4 years ago in California when the price of solar was much higher than now. I paid $3 per w for a 12kw system. I paid around $36K before the 30% tax credit back in 2018. I am pretty sure they are cheaper now so you may want to get some more quotes.

Reactions: preilly44
Just put the $250 deposit for Tesla solar. Heard lots of bad news about Sunrun. I am now waiting to see how long it takes now to get someone to call me. I’ve already done everything on my end.

Feedback on Tesla customer service (which includes how long they take to do things) can be placed in the existing thread for that, which is here:

I went with a "local" company that was highly rated in MD on my last house. I had 2 of my 3 SolarEdge inverters die and it took the 1-2 months each to replace them. Also, they supposedly "monitored" for system issues daily but I went weeks until I noticed there was an issue and called in.

My point is that just because a company is local and highly rated doesn't mean you'll have better service than Tesla. With that being said, I put Tesla solar on my new house in MD and they were pretty bad (getting to the installation point) but now that everything is installed and working, I'm glad I did it. Saved a fortune over the next closest competitor in price.

I just got back the system design. My amount decreased. It shows 66% energy offset. According to Tesla I should go with 5.2 kw So that means I will be paying 66% less on electric bill? I will contact them but since I am here I might as well ask. Right now I have $1000 credit on my electric bill from installing two EV chargers.

We have a solar “share” program offered by our local utility. They have a large solar array and you lease however many panels you want for $3.50 per panel per month. So far, it’s been either break even or barely making a few bucks on power generated by the panels. Depends on the time of year.
I like it because we live in a condo and locally installed solar is not possible.

I just got back the system design. My amount decreased. It shows 66% energy offset. According to Tesla I should go with 5.2 kw So that means I will be paying 66% less on electric bill? I will contact them but since I am here I might as well ask. Right now I have $1000 credit on my electric bill from installing two EV chargers.

I personally would want as close to 100% offset as physically possible.