Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have squeak in driver seat back? I’m trying to pinpoint source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched all through the forums here and can’t really find just what I’m looking for.
My drivers seat for a couple years now off and on (mostly on nowadays) will make a squeak noise (sounds like a cricket) when driving. Makes me crazy on a quiet morning drive sipping my coffee!
I have at least figured out it has something to do with the seat backing. I can lean forward with only weight in the bottom and it immediately stops. Plus I used to be able to temporarily make it stop by adjusting the seat motors to one extreme or the other and then “restore“ to my profile position. Maybe it added tension or added a small preload to the point of the squeak, not sure, but even that doesn’t work anymore.
has any seen this and been able to find the source?
BTW I have crawled under and sprayed a dab of foaming lubricant in every joint under seat I can get to but obviously have not gotten the correct one.

long shot but maybe someone will have seen this before.
Late 2017 Model S
thank you

My '16 MS had an awful squeak in the front seat. Turned out the side bolster of the driver's seat was rubbing against the center console. Drove me crazy. Don't know if that's what causing your squeak.
If it is, go to the auto part store and buy a little tube of Krytox Lubricant. Rub a little wear the rubbing meets and no more squeak!
I haven't had the annoying squeak for 2 years now.

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpeg
    IMG_0084.jpeg
    822.7 KB · Views: 152
Thanks @Bodyhauler
i have read about that console rubbing in my research. Unfortunately that isn’t my issue. In my year model I can just about slide my hand between the seat and console the gap is so large.
Over the last couple years of experimenting with this I’ve narrowed the search to somewhere under my drivers seat brackets. Even rode in the back seat once while my wife drove and crawled around on the floorboard to chase it. I can hear it down there just can’t pinpoint the source.
im really trying to avold taking the seat out altogether to address it.
but after this much work I guess I could have done that a dozen times by now. LOL

Sorry unfortunately not. I have mostly learned to live with it. Although occasionally I will do a trick that sometimes works where I adjust the motori seat back all the way down and back up again. For some reason this will “preload” the motor and or take up some slack somewhere. Whatever the case it will sometimes make it stop for a while.
im beginning to wonder if it’s something inside the seat I can’t get to that’s making the noise. Hence why my efforts to lubricate everything under seat have failed

I’ve heard of two fixes - one is tightening the seat mounts mentioned above. The other is a long running problem with the pivots (Tesla uses the commercial name - Huck Bom fasteners) that wear prematurely and can lead to squeaking or a rocking feeling (looseness). The Huck Bom fastener is probably the one that gets better when you move the motor a bit and increase the preload. There are service bulletins out about it, and those can be used as a map to direct some lubricant….

Reactions: quickstrike12
To add to the above, my 2015 had two driver seat issues. One was the aforementioned rubbing against the center console (which was REALLY annoying). The other was a "looseness" / rocking that the driver's seat had also causing a little noise (very evident on starts from a standstill). I am fairly certain I had this tracked down to one of the seat mounts.

I have searched all through the forums here and can’t really find just what I’m looking for.
My drivers seat for a couple years now off and on (mostly on nowadays) will make a squeak noise (sounds like a cricket) when driving. Makes me crazy on a quiet morning drive sipping my coffee!
long shot but maybe someone will have seen this before.
Late 2017 Model S
thank you

I had this in my 2017 at about 10k miles. I took it to the service center and they could reproduce it by pressing down on the left side of the seat. It turned out to be something with the seat rail, which was all one piece with the seat, so they just replaced the whole thing.

Reactions: quickstrike12
Interesting. If that’s the culprit of my noise, it would Certainly explain why no amount of lubricants ever helped.
although my seat is solid and does not rock at all. But I guess that area could be squeaking and be my issue.
wonder if this is something I could do myself Even without a kit. Doesn’t look that hard to accomplish

So I didn't have any luck with Tesla this week when I tried to get the driver seat squeak on my 3 sorted. Went out for a test ride with an engineer. He was much shorter and skinnier than me, and as such the seat didn't squeak. When we switched seats however it did. They said they re-seated the seat and made sure everything was tight, and were unable to replicate the issue when they tested after that. Later that day I discovered the squeak was still there. I'm not happy. The service center is 45mins drive, so that's about 3h+ of my time wasted just to not get the problem fixed. It's annoying they don't have enough loaners too, so additional time was spent waiting for Ubers.