Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have State Farm Drive Safe?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just switched to SF and we have it on our two vehicles at present. Well, actually we only have it on one of our two vehicles because we're swapping out my wife's Honda Accord for a MYLR before end of month so my SF rep indicated we should just wait on hers and just install the DS unit into the new vehicle. Honestly, these tracking units aren't really geared to help consumers IME. For example, we took my truck (2018 RAM 1500 pickup) on a weekend getaway into the Pocono mountains this weekend and the device recorded several speeding violations and a few heavy acceleration and heavy braking events - none of which were legitimate based upon real world conditions. A few of the heavy acceleration events were due to road construction limiting one vehicle merging onto a major highway (I80) at a time - which requires you to punch it given oncoming traffic averages 70mph in a 50mph zone. Talk to any cop and they will tell you the safest speed on a major highway is to go with the flow of traffic - don't speed and don't go too slowly. On a major highway we got dinged on the app for 70-75mph in a 50mph zone however we were simply going with the flow of traffic and would have actually been more of a danger on the road sticking to the speed limit with people zooming around us for example. These devices/apps aren't intelligent in this respect - so be careful when using them as a result.
That's a lot more data than I expected a device like this would track. I would have expected it to mainly give you dings for events (similar to Tesla safety score), but not to track your movement and speeding in such detail. Like others, that's a big nope for me then. I'll stick to my current other discounts I'm already getting.

I going to reevaluate and most likely cancel the 'Drive Safe & Save' option from State Farm Auto (SF). IMHO, there is an AI bot war between State Farm's AI driving analytics and Elon Musks dream of FSD perfection. Ugh, I loose having a computer evaluate another computers driving performance!
Picture 3.jpeg
Picture 1.jpeg
Picture 2.jpeg

Let me first say, I am a State Farm customer with no auto/house claims for over 10+ years with SF. The auto discount savings on my MY '21 Tesla have been diminishing to almost nothing over the last 3 years primarily because I allow/prefer Tesla's FSD beta to drive 80% of the time along city and highway. I always keep both hands on the steering wheel, and ready to brake/accelerate when FSD is not driving within acceptable driving expectations. But I get dinged for FSD causing aggressive acceleration (has the Tesla Model Y Acceleration Boost), cornering (again FSD being weird/jerky at some city corners), speeding (FSD does not immediately slow down at the slower posted signage(s) and coasts at the higher rate for more than a ½ mile after postage speed signage, FSD hard braking (need I say more).

I usually have WAZE on my phone to warn of road hazards, traffic congestion, auto accidents, fog, etc and every time I briefly use the phone to look/post at where the alert is, State Farm is there to mark it as a 'phone distraction'.

If I am not going to get a reasonable policy discount for still perfect driving record after 10+ years with SF (no auto claims for 30 years in total), but penalized for being a 'potential accident waiting to happen driver according to SF's predictive algorithm', why bother. I do not expect insurance companies to be impartial in there expectations for 'safe driving' since they loose money if they allow for anything other than perfect driving.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpeg
    Picture 1.jpeg
    198.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture 2.jpeg
    Picture 2.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 13
I going to reevaluate and most likely cancel the 'Drive Safe & Save' option from State Farm Auto (SF). IMHO, there is an AI bot war between State Farm's AI driving analytics and Elon Musks dream of FSD perfection. Ugh, I loose having a computer evaluate another computers driving performance!
View attachment 919922View attachment 919930View attachment 919931

Let me first say, I am a State Farm customer with no auto/house claims for over 10+ years with SF. The auto discount savings on my MY '21 Tesla have been diminishing to almost nothing over the last 3 years primarily because I allow/prefer Tesla's FSD beta to drive 80% of the time along city and highway. I always keep both hands on the steering wheel, and ready to brake/accelerate when FSD is not driving within acceptable driving expectations. But I get dinged for FSD causing aggressive acceleration (has the Tesla Model Y Acceleration Boost), cornering (again FSD being weird/jerky at some city corners), speeding (FSD does not immediately slow down at the slower posted signage(s) and coasts at the higher rate for more than a ½ mile after postage speed signage, FSD hard braking (need I say more).

I usually have WAZE on my phone to warn of road hazards, traffic congestion, auto accidents, fog, etc and every time I briefly use the phone to look/post at where the alert is, State Farm is there to mark it as a 'phone distraction'.

If I am not going to get a reasonable policy discount for still perfect driving record after 10+ years with SF (no auto claims for 30 years in total), but penalized for being a 'potential accident waiting to happen driver according to SF's predictive algorithm', why bother. I do not expect insurance companies to be impartial in there expectations for 'safe driving' since they loose money if they allow for anything other than perfect driving.

I'm with you - I use Apple Carplay/Apple Maps and report various accidents and hazards whenever I see them on the road - and this app appears to ding you for doing that even though I'm actually doing it through the 8.4" display screen in my RAM 1500 truck and never really taking my eyes off the road - and the phone never leaves it's charging station down in the dedicated phone charging area that the RAM has designed into the console area. That's really taking it too far IMHO. I may just cancel the DS program entirely. I'm at an 86% rating after 15 trips totaling 420 miles.

IME the DriveSafe program 'expects' you to drive like Tesla did when it had the safety score. Everyone agrees that FSD would never get a good enough safety score to get FSD and it routinely brakes, turns and accelerates fairly aggressively. If I'm driving myself I generally get a better score but I simply accept that FSD will get dinged and don't worry about it; I just drive. I'm still getting a decent discount between our 3 cars so I'm fine with things but it's not for everyone.

Reactions: HitchHiker71
I'm with you - I use Apple Carplay/Apple Maps and report various accidents and hazards whenever I see them on the road - and this app appears to ding you for doing that even though I'm actually doing it through the 8.4" display screen in my RAM 1500 truck and never really taking my eyes off the road - and the phone never leaves it's charging station down in the dedicated phone charging area that the RAM has designed into the console area. That's really taking it too far IMHO. I may just cancel the DS program entirely. I'm at an 86% rating after 15 trips totaling 420 miles.
I have the Hanshow 9" display and I'm fairly certain that DS is seeing that interaction with Waze as a DS distraction! Ugh!

Reactions: HitchHiker71
View attachment 919922View attachment 919930View attachment 919931

Imagine the rate they would give you if they knew you were trusting FSD for 80% of your driving. LOL. $1k/mo probably.

Imagine the rate they would give you if they knew you were trusting FSD for 80% of your driving. LOL. $1k/mo probably.

I've actually been chatting with my SF rep about this - that an overly simplistic app from SF is persistently dinging a vastly superior FSD AI system for not driving well - and that SF really needs to fix this - as it has been proven that FSD is 5-6 times safer than human drivers - yet the app is dinging the FSD system? What kind of sense does that make in the real world? If it weren't for the fact that SF gives a 10% discount for using DS - I'd just eliminate the app entirely from our policy - but I'm too cheap to give up free money. The other thing that's ridiculous is having to keep the app/device for six months when almost all other similar apps/devices only require 30 days. SF needs to get their act together when it comes to DS IMHO.

I've actually been chatting with my SF rep about this - that an overly simplistic app from SF is persistently dinging a vastly superior FSD AI system for not driving well - and that SF really needs to fix this - as it has been proven that FSD is 5-6 times safer than human drivers - yet the app is dinging the FSD system? What kind of sense does that make in the real world? If it weren't for the fact that SF gives a 10% discount for using DS - I'd just eliminate the app entirely from our policy - but I'm too cheap to give up free money. The other thing that's ridiculous is having to keep the app/device for six months when almost all other similar apps/devices only require 30 days. SF needs to get their act together when it comes to DS IMHO.
I also mentioned to my rep how the DS app seems much worse than other apps/devices we have used in the past from other insurance agencies - from two primary perspectives. One - time used - six months vs typically a 30 day window - and two - the ratings the DS is handing out seem to be more for the benefit of SF than the consumer/policy owner. We are already at 80% and falling for our two vehicles - and we aren't driving any differently than with other devices/apps we've used in the past. If anything, as we age - we tend to drive better and with more care than when we were younger - but in the case of DS - we're being dinged for things that actually go against driving best practices in the real world - which isn't helpful nor useful for anyone other than SF itself.