Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone have Storm Watch active right this moment? [looking into stormwatch api flag]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gpez

Apr 25, 2019
USA
I'm trying to hunt down where (if?) Storm Watch being active is emitted from the local Powerwall API. My best guess is on the grid_status API there is a fairly new "grid_services_active" field but mine always returns false and I have no way of simulating Storm Watch :)

If your system currently has Storm Watch active (not enabled but actually active due to some immediate outage risk) could you either run this curl command or get the .json result from https://<IP>/api/system_status/grid_status where <IP> is your local Powerwall IP? You'll have to click ignore on the certificate error to do so the browser route, the curl -k flag suppresses that error.

Code:
curl -k https://<IP>/api/system_status/grid_status

Thank you!

Storm Watch is turned on, but not active. I sent a query in to PW support some time back asking what this was, and the L1 support rep did not know. It shows up on the GW login screen sometimes. I have not noticed any changes to the PW when it is on.

PW With Grid Services.png

Storm Watch is turned on, but not active. I sent a query in to PW support some time back asking what this was, and the L1 support rep did not know. It shows up on the GW login screen sometimes. I have not noticed any changes to the PW when it is on.

View attachment 450660

I thought that grid services was where they provide power to the grid meet peak demands and maintain the proper frequency. But most Powerwalls in the US shouldn't be providing grid services. (The exception is like with Green Mountain power where they provide discounted Powerwalls to form a Virtual Powerplant.)

From Tesla, Green Mountain Power roll out $15/month BTM battery program :
The companies say the aggregated Powerwall batteries will provide a variety of grid services, delivering "dynamic capacity (energy reserves that can be dispatched when they are needed most) and additional grid stability." Tesla will also work with Green Mountain Power to dispatch the aggregated resource into New England’s wholesale electricity markets.

• Informative
Reactions: jhn_
Just to check - is your Storm Watch active?

Would just love to know what that field is for...

I would expect that flag to reflect when the Powerwall is being remotely controlled to provide grid stabilization services according to the opt-in when you buy a Powerwall system. It might also be set when the Powerwall is being used in a virtual power plant. I'd be interested to see what the Tesla app shows for those who are in a VPP.

It seems that API doesn't exist locally but I believe it's available in the cloud apis (something I was trying to avoid).
I was using the cloud API too, until all the breakage with the new authentication. Still trying to get working PHP code working to access the cloud data again. I DO however have a capture of the cloud data with storm mode actually active, just before the API broke. So if I can get the API working again I might be able to find it if its there by comparing to normally non-active storm mode data. Its got to be someplace since it shows up in the app. If I find it I will post.

Reactions: h2ofun